The Schadenfreude Thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 70759
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3163 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:17 pm

Facebook is a venue of marketing.

If you don't like it, don't do Facebook.

I certainly don't.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 22053
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 388 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by gnome » Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:49 pm

Ed's question is a fair and utterly not trollish inversion of something the left often proposes--that a private enterprise or owner can find itself a host of an effective public space, and does that confer any obligations?

In classic anti discrimination terms the word is "public accommodation" and it's why most businesses serving customers cannot racially discriminate, or sexually, etc.

So I don't consider it a no-brainer at all. It really ought to be considered, even if ultimately the right not to provide a platform for another's speech prevails.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33018
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 751 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by ed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 pm

There is nothing like the access that can be denied .. let me repeat that ...can be denied by the likes of Google and facebook. I am thinking that these things ought to be utility like and maybe nationalized.

I am frankly scared of google. I just looked at the analytics for one of my sites. I can drill down to the individual and that individual has a unique code so that he/she can be tracked. Actually, it is the device, not the person. That matters not a whit though.

Think about that. And even I could figure out who is who is you buy something. Then I gotcha.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 70759
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3163 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 pm

The point about Alex Jones' banning is that it was all at once by three different companies.

As if there were ... dare I say it ... some sort of conspiracy? :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33018
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 751 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by ed » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:49 pm

But it is really worse and far more incideous. They can make your ideas vanish. If you don't appear in a search you don't exist. It is no different from a government preventing you from using a printing press buy allowing you to stand on a street corner and yell at clouds.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 70759
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3163 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:58 pm

... They can make your ideas vanish ...
:roll:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 22053
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 388 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by gnome » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Google would be playing a dangerous game to be too willing to suppress searches based on content. They do that too much and they are vulnerable to search engines that are more effective.

That's why I switched to google in the first place, because I was able to find results better. I'll switch again if that changes.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
sparks
Posts: 13994
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:13 pm
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!
Has thanked: 1908 times
Been thanked: 592 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by sparks » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:07 pm

They can keep you from sharing your ideas. But make them vanish? Not without a lobotomy.

You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 22053
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 388 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by gnome » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 pm

Use my search engine-- scrugull.com! Find the results google doesn't WANT you to see!

Image
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 16428
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 1988 times
Been thanked: 2718 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Witness » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:06 am

U.S. budget deficit this year already 21% higher than last year

The federal government racked up a $76.9 billion deficit in July, with increased government spending and tax cuts keeping the country on track to record its biggest annual deficit in six years.

The Treasury Department reported Friday that in the first 10 months of this budget year:
  • The deficit totaled $684 billion, up 20.8 percent from the same period last year.
  • Revenues are up only 1 percent this year, the increase held back by a big drop in corporate tax payments.
  • Spending is up 4.4 percent, reflecting a big boost Congress approved earlier this year for domestic and military programs and the rising costs of financing the debt.
The Trump administration last month sharply revised upward its deficit estimates, projecting annual deficits will once again top $1 trillion in the 2019 budget year, climbing to $1.1 trillion, and remaining above $1 trillion for three years.

For the current budget year, which ends Sept. 30, the administration is now projecting a deficit of $890 billion. That would be up 33.7 percent from last year's deficit of $665.8 billion.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-budget ... last-year/

Must be the Space Force©, expensive stuff… :twisted:

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 141 times
Been thanked: 242 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Giz » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 am

Presumably it will consist of the new deficit class craft:

USS bond

USS hock

USS debtor

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 22053
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 388 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by gnome » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:12 am

A friend of mine has the kind of neighbor that likes to call code enforcement instead of opening a conversation--one can presume it was not to resolve a genuine grievance but to avail themselves of an opportunity to use the law as a tool of aggression.

On this occasion, it was over a shed that was too close to the property line. My friends had to move their shed. Here's what their neighbor didn't think about before going there though--their shed was too close also. Wooooops. So they got their own medicine back, and theirs can't be moved without a forklift. I'm a forgiving guy but I think I might not have been able to resist this either.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21453
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1386 times
Been thanked: 1174 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:00 am

ed wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:45 pm
There is nothing like the access that can be denied .. let me repeat that ...can be denied by the likes of Google and facebook. I am thinking that these things ought to be utility like and maybe nationalized.
Commie. :freedom:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21453
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1386 times
Been thanked: 1174 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:11 am

Witness wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:06 am
U.S. budget deficit this year already 21% higher than last year

The federal government racked up a $76.9 billion deficit in July, with increased government spending and tax cuts keeping the country on track to record its biggest annual deficit in six years.

The Treasury Department reported Friday that in the first 10 months of this budget year:
  • The deficit totaled $684 billion, up 20.8 percent from the same period last year.
  • Revenues are up only 1 percent this year, the increase held back by a big drop in corporate tax payments.
  • Spending is up 4.4 percent, reflecting a big boost Congress approved earlier this year for domestic and military programs and the rising costs of financing the debt.
The Trump administration last month sharply revised upward its deficit estimates, projecting annual deficits will once again top $1 trillion in the 2019 budget year, climbing to $1.1 trillion, and remaining above $1 trillion for three years.

For the current budget year, which ends Sept. 30, the administration is now projecting a deficit of $890 billion. That would be up 33.7 percent from last year's deficit of $665.8 billion.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-budget ... last-year/

Must be the Space Force©, expensive stuff… :twisted:
I'm shocked, shocked that Trump's promise to "eliminate the national debt in 8 years" was complete and utter bullshit.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 70759
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3163 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14 am

No president can do such a thing without cooperation from congress.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21453
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1386 times
Been thanked: 1174 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:21 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14 am
No president can do such a thing without cooperation from congress.
Indeed, but this president didn't even try. He wanted tax cuts and higher spending on a number of things, much of which (not all) he got. Lower taxes and higher spending obviously lead to higher deficits and more total debt.

And things like a "space force" as a whole new branch of the military obviously aren't going to help balance the budget or even reduce the deficit to a more manageable level.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 70759
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3163 times
Been thanked: 1169 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:50 am

Now that I think of it, Trump didn't say he'd "balance the budget", something that could happen with congress on board.

He said he'd retire the public debt, which means he knew he was lying when he said it.

Revise previous comment accordingly.

Still on track for collapse when the money runs out, but possibly a Democrat will be president again by then.
It won't matter.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33018
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 438 times
Been thanked: 751 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by ed » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:10 pm

gnome wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 pm
Google would be playing a dangerous game to be too willing to suppress searches based on content. They do that too much and they are vulnerable to search engines that are more effective.

That's why I switched to google in the first place, because I was able to find results better. I'll switch again if that changes.
Google, Seeking a Return to China, Is Said to Be Building a Censored Search Engine
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/tech ... ngine.html

Would you like some guava jelly with that crow that you are about to eat?
(there is a funny Moss scene from the IT crowd that would be amusing but my google-fu has failed me.)

eta This was posted before and that svelte bastard, Abdul, speculated on whether the search parameters were parametrized. They were and are, naturally.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
WildCat
Posts: 13834
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:53 am
Location: The 33rd Ward, Chicago
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 327 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by WildCat » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:15 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:21 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:14 am
No president can do such a thing without cooperation from congress.
Indeed, but this president didn't even try. He wanted tax cuts and higher spending on a number of things, much of which (not all) he got. Lower taxes and higher spending obviously lead to higher deficits and more total debt.

And things like a "space force" as a whole new branch of the military obviously aren't going to help balance the budget or even reduce the deficit to a more manageable level.
If you read what was posted you'd see tax revenue is up. It is spending that is out of control.

And every time the fed raises interest rates the US has to pay even more for its debt.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

User avatar
gnome
Posts: 22053
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 12:40 am
Location: New Port Richey, FL
Has thanked: 360 times
Been thanked: 388 times

Re: The Schadenfreude Thread

Post by gnome » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:05 am

ed wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:10 pm
gnome wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 pm
Google would be playing a dangerous game to be too willing to suppress searches based on content. They do that too much and they are vulnerable to search engines that are more effective.

That's why I switched to google in the first place, because I was able to find results better. I'll switch again if that changes.
Google, Seeking a Return to China, Is Said to Be Building a Censored Search Engine
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/tech ... ngine.html

Would you like some guava jelly with that crow that you are about to eat?
(there is a funny Moss scene from the IT crowd that would be amusing but my google-fu has failed me.)

eta This was posted before and that svelte bastard, Abdul, speculated on whether the search parameters were parametrized. They were and are, naturally.
My comment assumes the presence of potential competition. No crow here to eat.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2