The "See what Trump made me do" thread.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

The "See what Trump made me do" thread.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:19 pm

There have been stories like this in some of the other Trump threads, but I'm seeing this develop as a distinct sub-genre.

Not general overreaction, paranoia, or indeed anything that might have any political consequences, however fatuous (let alone the serious stuff).

This is the thread for minor self punishment as an anti-Trump fashion statement.

My opening gambit:
The Post-Trump Haircut
New York Magazine ( *not* The New Yorker :) )
For the past 20 years, Julianna Evans, the director of marketing for the Lumberyard, a contemporary performing-arts company based in New York City, has had the same flowing brown locks. Her stylist in her hometown of Washington, D.C., has been trimming her hair every 12 months for as long as she can remember, and always colors it the same medium-brown shade. Then came the November 8 election upset, and Evans fell into a downward spiral. “I cried for three days,” the Atlanta native, 45, recalls. “I felt like it was the worst thing, politically, that ever happened in my lifetime. It was catastrophic.” By Friday she noticed grays growing in, so she put on her big-girl panties and dragged herself to the drugstore. “Literally without thinking, I grabbed the Natural Black box by Garnier,” she says. “I was like, f** it! The election deadened my soul. I think I wanted to do something defiant to feel stronger.”

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: The "See what Trump made me do" thread.

Post by corplinx » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:40 am

Actor Michael Sheen is leaving beauty queen Sarah Silverman behind to go fight fascism in Wales by using his "star power" because Trump.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ulism.html

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:38 am

When someone informed him that Wales is controlled by Labour. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:44 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:This is the thread for minor self punishment as an anti-Trump fashion statement.
You're wasting your time & talent here, Abdul, instead of writing in some posh glossy! :P
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
“Literally without thinking, I grabbed the Natural Black box by Garnier,” she says. “I was like, f** it! The election deadened my soul. I think I wanted to do something defiant to feel stronger.”

Compensation by consumption, pathetic. Could at least man up to a stiff drink.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:26 pm

Witness wrote: ... Compensation by consumption ...
See that?

Not even officially president yet and already Trump is good for business. :BigGrin3:

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:50 pm

Any examples of cutting?
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:10 am

THE MADMAN made us break the Goldwater Rule:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 82586.html
“Professional standards do not permit us to venture a diagnosis for a public figure whom we have not evaluated personally,” the letter signed by Judith Herman, Nanette Gartrell and Dee Mosbacher, and published by the Huffington Post, reads.

Nevertheless...
The Goldwater rule is the informal name given to of Section 7.3 in the American Psychiatric Association's (APA) code of ethics[1] which states it is unethical for psychiatrists to give a professional opinion about public figures they have not examined in person and obtained consent from to discuss their mental health in public statements.[2] It is named after presidential candidate Barry Goldwater.[3]

The issue arose in 1964 when Fact magazine published the article "The Unconscious of a Conservative: A Special Issue on the Mind of Barry Goldwater."[3][4] The magazine polled psychiatrists about American Senator Barry Goldwater and whether he was fit to be president.[5][6] In Goldwater v. Ginzburg Goldwater filed a libel suit in response to the article, he won $75,000 in damages.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldwater_rule

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:29 am

corplinx wrote:THE MADMAN made us break the Goldwater Rule ...
Definitely belongs in this thread.

It doesn't hurt Trump and it is basically a fashion statement. 8)

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:23 am

Donald Trump Hijacked My Holidays (The Advocate)
But why the absence of hope? For me, the obvious answer is Donald J. Trump. In the month and a half since the election, I, like so many Americans, have been inundated by a groundswell of mixed but primarily negative emotions. PTSD, if you will: "Post-Trump Stress Disorder."

But these emotions are about much more than Trump the individual. They are related to Trump as an idea — what he and his followers represent. How could so many Americans harbor such regressive, dangerous, and ill-informed ideologies that they were willing to ignore Trump's innumerable ignominies, outright lies, political missteps, flip-flopping, and other scandals and vote him into the highest office in the Free World?

As an American who is black and gay, I experience Trump and his followers as a double existential threat. For me, Trump's win, which CNN commentator Van Jones on Election Night labeled a "whitelash" after eight years of progressive policies under President Obama, is a pushback against my very existence as an African-American. On the day after the election, in North Carolina, the state of my birth, Durham residents discovered two graffitied walls, both proclaiming, "Black lives don't matter and neither does [sic] your votes." Did this hateful speech encapsulate the sentiment of the majority?
AFAIK, they never did catch the particular individual who wrote that graffiti, but I suspect that it wasn't a Trump supporter. But more to the point: since when did graffiti become national news? Only when it references Trump? Think about how much graffiti gets painted every day in cities across America. Much of it with a "hateful" message towards somebody. And then how can we be sure it was written by a Trump supporter and not some sort of real-space troll?

The main reason he isn't going home for the holidays though isn't even something Trump did:
Last week, things further came to a head for me as a queer man when the state of my birth reneged on its promise to repeal an odious anti-LGBT piece of legislation, House Bill 2, which among other grievances forbids transgender people from using restrooms that correspond with their gender identity. The state did so even after the city of Charlotte reversed its local non-discrimination ordinance so as to make way for HB 2's much-needed demise. In last Wednesday's special session, the North Carolina General Assembly made it clear that I would not be going home for the holidays. For LGBT people and their allies, "North Carolina remains closed for business," declared Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:40 am

Yet, it is Trump's fault.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:03 pm

National Review publishes a compendium. Maybe some of them are true.

http://www.nationalreview.com/node/443355/print

The media are filled with anecdotes of more personal hysteria: Stress eating is making some Americans gain the “Trump Ten” extra pounds. A Los Angeles sex therapist said her female clients have told her the election killed their libido. Hairstylists in Washington report more women wanting dramatic changes to their haircuts and colors. Even those whose professional role is to help people cope with stress find themselves overwhelmed. A therapist asked, “How can I treat patients when the world is spinning out of control?”

Do these people need a hug, or to be vigorously shaken and told to snap out of it? They’re experiencing a colossal emotional transformation even though nothing has actually changed in their day-to-day lives. They are exactly the same people they were on November 8. Everything they had the day before — their smarts (or lack thereof), their work ethic, their skills, their passions, their vision — is still there. Trump’s election didn’t do anything to them. And yet they’re reacting to the election like they’ve been physically assaulted.

Emphasis added.

That's where this article is incorrect, even if all the anecdotes are true.

Their religion has been proved false. That is why they are unhinged.

They didn't just vote for a candidate who lost. They have lost their faith in "the arc of history" and cannot face that.

ed

Post by ed » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:31 pm

I have regularly pointed out that Whig History is wrong.

I hate being right all the time.

Not really
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:10 pm

he made me touch myself. but in a bad way. a dirty way. Corps understands.

ed

Post by ed » Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:31 pm

:roll: "made me"? :roll:
- new minimalist ethos -

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:22 pm

Meanwhile, on that other board, progressives are revising their views on "one person, one vote" being a good thing:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/fo ... p?t=315115

Precis: they think that 'their kind of people' should get more than one vote. And maybe the elderly shouldn't get a vote at all.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:37 pm

ya know, an individual state can do what they fucking please. It may not stand up on constitutional grounds for other reasons (real or imagined) but purely speaking, there are no limits.

Did you chime in?

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:16 pm

IIRC, "one person, one vote" is a constitutional thing. The equal protection clause I think.

Likely if any state tried to give more votes to some citizens than others (which seems far-fetched to begin with, but for the sake of argument), there would be a court challenge to that, and I believe that challenge would be upheld.
All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:28 pm

It is basically nothing more than "all who agree with me are rational and must be enfranchised, and everyone else is stupid, irrational, Nazi, and likes fuchsia, and must be denied franchise for The Good of the Children."

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:17 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:31 am

Pyrrho wrote:Image
Jebus.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.