FakeNews Ongoing

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: FakeNews Ongoing

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:35 pm

Real news about fake news. Or is it?

Obama not under investigation for treason (AP)
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A story claiming an FBI official has announced he's investigating former President Barack Obama and other Democrats for treason is not true. The false story also incorrectly identified the official as "the U.S. District Attorney."

The site conservativefighters said that Dana Boente, general counsel to the FBI, will pursue treason charges against Obama "and any liberals or Democrats working to undermine the president." Boente never made such an announcement and he is wrongly identified in the story as the U.S. District Attorney.

The story also errs in claiming that Obama demoted Boente at some unspecified time during his presidency, removing him from a Justice Department position that was second in line behind the attorney general, and that Trump reversed that action.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 pm

Example of totally real maga americans standing up for their rights:
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:25 pm

So?

Freedom of speech means nothing if foreigners can't do lying propaganda same as everybody else.

Why do you hate freedom tovarishch gospodin? :P

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:30 pm

Freedom of speech is not a shield from being criticized or exposed. Why so eager to defend these instigators if they are not your allies?
It's "pea-can", man.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:37 pm

My allies in clickbait and spamming?

Still waiting for my cut. :lmao:

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:52 pm

That is not an answer. Why so eager to defend them if they are not your allies in destabilizing the US?
It's "pea-can", man.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:57 pm

Every time the proletariat tries to rise up, capitalist swine like Mentat try to say not real.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:04 pm

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:41 pm

I appreciate FB's effort to reduce the profile of pages that distribute false information, but satire is of course a sticky point. Good satire is valuable. Some satire is just deception hiding behind the label of satire (i.e. they plan to be taken seriously unless they get caught, then it's satire)
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:42 pm

In this case, it's not good satire. In fact it's really stupid satire.
But it's obviously non-serious to any non-moron.

Have we got to the point where satire is judged by the same standards that erotica used to be judged?
That is, to be not censored it must have proven artistic merit?

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:27 am

Is it "censorship" for Facebook to be choosy about content?

The whole thing with not being obliged to provide a platform for someone else's speech.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:51 am

gnome wrote:Is it "censorship" for Facebook to be choosy about content?

The whole thing with not being obliged to provide a platform for someone else's speech.
The point isn't that they "have no right", it's that they make themselves look stupid.

Of course it could be argued that the satire in question is slanderous because it implies CNN is less than straightforward in presenting the facts. :BigGrin3:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:00 am

Maybe Facebook just wants to keep "satire" out of its "news feed" so that users aren't confused about what they're seeing.

The New Yorker has the "Borowitz Report" which is a terrible satire column (just usually not funny) in a magazine/website that otherwise at least purports to be real news (and they also sometimes publish fiction, as fiction). Long-time New Yorker readers understand that the Borowitz Report is satire but someone encountering it for the first time might now realize it because there is no large-font disclaimer at the top saying "This is satire."
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:03 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Maybe Facebook just wants to keep "satire" out of its "news feed" so that users aren't confused about what they're seeing. ...
Fair enough, but the "debunked by Snopes" angle militates against that explanation of their thinking (if such it can be called).

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:05 am

I stand by my contention that they make themselves look stupid. :coolspecs:

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:54 am

I think they have no problem with satire, but trying to reduce content that is intended to misinform--and running into a natural ambiguity, causing the problem. There's no sure way to distinguish so sometimes they'll get it wrong.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:01 am

Facebook needs to die, and perhaps the free market will take care of that.

The danger is that it will become quasi-governmental in a quest to stay in business.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:33 am

I think Facebook will go the way of MySpace the next time someone gets the jump on the next killer feature. It hasn't happened yet, not for lack of trying, but because there hasn't been anything really monumental catch on. Let's face it, it's kind of annoying and the main reason people stay instead of looking for an app that's better at basics of social media is because everyone else is mostly already there.

Even that could be weakened if someone figures out a social media aggregator like Trillian was for all the chat systems.
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:51 am

How about some NRA/gun related fake news? This load of crapola is making the rounds: "Gun injuries drop 20% during NRA conventions, study finds". The "study" is a letter to the editor but it's mischaracterized as "published by the New England Journal of Medicine".

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/n ... 481880.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... tudy-finds

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/8x ... ries-study

http://www.newser.com/story/256099/gun- ... tions.html

The original: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1712773

Typical crapola spouted:
That finding probably isn’t very surprising. After all, while gun enthusiasts are attending conventions, they’re not out firing their guns, which means fewer opportunities for accidental shootings. The researchers also note that shooting ranges may shut down during conventions, leaving fewer venues for shooting, as well.

But the findings could also undercut the common argument about who is responsible for unintentional gun injuries: namely, that it’s untrained or inexperienced firearms users doing most of the accidental shooting. People attending an NRA convention are more likely to be experienced, long-time gun owners and users, so the researchers reason that if keeping those people away from their guns for a few days dramatically decreases the number of firearm injuries, it implies that those injuries could actually be happening among well-trained gun aficionados.
Bear in mind the NRA convention draws about 0.0057% of gun owners.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:55 pm

WildCat wrote:How about some NRA/gun related fake news? This load of crapola is making the rounds: "Gun injuries drop 20% during NRA conventions, study finds". The "study" is a letter to the editor but it's mischaracterized as "published by the New England Journal of Medicine".

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/n ... 481880.htm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... tudy-finds

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article/8x ... ries-study

http://www.newser.com/story/256099/gun- ... tions.html

The original: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1712773

Typical crapola spouted:
That finding probably isn’t very surprising. After all, while gun enthusiasts are attending conventions, they’re not out firing their guns, which means fewer opportunities for accidental shootings. The researchers also note that shooting ranges may shut down during conventions, leaving fewer venues for shooting, as well.

But the findings could also undercut the common argument about who is responsible for unintentional gun injuries: namely, that it’s untrained or inexperienced firearms users doing most of the accidental shooting. People attending an NRA convention are more likely to be experienced, long-time gun owners and users, so the researchers reason that if keeping those people away from their guns for a few days dramatically decreases the number of firearm injuries, it implies that those injuries could actually be happening among well-trained gun aficionados.
Bear in mind the NRA convention draws about 0.0057% of gun owners.
Hah!

So if the injury rate drips from 1.49 to 1.19 per 100,000 and is due to these guys, that implies they are injuring themselves to the order of 0.3 /100,000 * 300,000,000 = 900 injuries (presumably per year rather than day). As the years go by, is the NRA convention increasingly populated by bandaged, hobbling, limb less folks whose only arms are in holsters?