Trump, Offering No Evidence, Says Obama Tapped His Phones

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: Trump, Offering No Evidence, Says Obama Tapped His Phones

Postby corplinx » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 pm

To Trumpers, there is no goalpost push. They don't treat his statements pedantically.

"i was wiretapped" translates to "i was being spied on"

They don't care for Washingtonian denial-ism. "Well, TECHNICALLY he is incorrect because YADDA YADDA YADDA"

Haters gonna hate. Trump is a skeptics worst nightmare if you make your skepticism around pedantic parsing instead of meaning.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 pm

There is a double-standard since if Trump did this to an incoming Hillary CNN and the like would be screaming. As I indicated, it "fits" whatever narrative you want be you from the left or right.

However, whilst puttering as the Left Media--MSNBC/CNN--screeched "IS NOTHING! EVERYBUDDY DO IT! SAYS A REPUBLICAN!" and the Right Media--Fox "She Forced Herself on O'Reily!" News--blithered "WORSE THAN DEFLATEWATERGATES!!!!" with demands that Obama, Rice, Trump, Flynn, Putin, and Brady get impeached if not subpoena'd methought that, what with the opponent being Trump, with being given the answers to a debate by CNN, with Obama & Co. spying on your opponent, with all of that you still lost?

Was Shannahan your campaign manager?

Though I will give kudos to Some Angry Democrat This is Not an Issue who was on Tucker "Jon Stewart's a MEANIE" Carlson--a homeless meth-addict's Ann Coulter--who stated, frankly, that if what Hillary wrote about Bernie in her e-mails had been revealed just prior to the election, she would have lost even bigger. Have to tip my hat at that honesty.

Yes, I am avoiding work.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:08 am

Court Approved Wiretap on Trump Campaign Aide Over Russia Ties (NYT)

WASHINGTON — The Justice Department obtained a secret court-approved wiretap last summer on Carter Page, a foreign policy adviser to Donald J. Trump’s presidential campaign, based on evidence that he was operating as a Russian agent, a government official said Wednesday.

The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court issued the warrant, the official said, after investigators determined that Mr. Page was no longer part of the Trump campaign, which began distancing itself from him in early August. Mr. Page is one of several Trump associates under scrutiny in a federal investigation.

The Justice Department considered direct surveillance of anyone tied to a political campaign as a line it did not want to cross, the official added. But its decision to seek a wiretap once it was clear that Mr. Page had left the campaign was the latest indication that, as Mr. Trump built his insurgent run for the White House, the F.B.I. was deeply concerned about whether any of his associates were colluding with Russia.

To obtain the warrant, the government needed to show probable cause that Mr. Page was acting as an agent of Russia. Investigators must first get approval from one of three senior officials at the Justice Department. Then, prosecutors take it to a surveillance court judge.

And though the Trump administration has said Mr. Page was a bit player who had no access to the candidate, the wiretap shows the F.B.I. had strong evidence that a campaign adviser was operating on behalf of Moscow.

Hmm, I wonder what the "probable cause" was? Apparently there is still an ongoing investigation.

The F.B.I. declined to comment. James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, has described the hurdles to obtaining an intelligence wiretap as a “rigorous, rigorous process.”
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Don't forget! March 8th is World Badger Punting Day!

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:52 am

Probable cause is whatever Obama The Kenyan Usurper said it was, Anax.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 am

Doctor X wrote:Probable cause is whatever Obama The Kenyan Usurper said it was, Anax.

--J.D.

I want that Gif for the forum!

Onegai Neko! :D
William Shakespeare

Boss Higgins
Title: Boss

Postby Boss Higgins » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:14 am

You complainin'?!
Boss Paul says you wasn't happy with your job! That you was complainin'!

Well, we're goin' to give you a chance to think about it!

Boss Paul
Title: Boss

Postby Boss Paul » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:16 am

Suppose he is back-sassin'!
Get the wax outta your ears!

You call the Captain "Captain!"

And you call the rest of us "Boss," you hear?!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:40 am

No sir Boss.

William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:45 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Onegai Neko! :D

--J.D.

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:14 pm

To me the bigger point was that they chose to wait until after he was separated from the campaign. I don't know if they legally had to, but it helps against an accusation of spying on the campaign.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:09 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Hmm, I wonder what the "probable cause" was? Apparently there is still an ongoing investigation.

Pretty much anything. The FISA court is a rubber stamp. Out of nearly 40,000 surveillance requests they only denied 11 of them.

If they really had a case against a US citizen they could have got a regular court to approve the wiretap, not the secret court that operates outside of public scrutiny.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:17 pm

BUT IF HE WAS INNOCENT WHY THEY INVESTIGATES?!!1!!

--J.D.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:30 am

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 am

Not Obama, doesn't count.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:33 am

Is the ghost of J. Edgar still haunting the FBI? If anyone thinks this investigation was anything other than political, they need their head examined.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:33 am

And now we see that a fake dossier manufactured by a foreigner and funded by a political party is enough to get a FISA warrant on an American.

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:07 pm

WildCat wrote:And now we see that a fake dossier manufactured by a foreigner and funded by a political party is enough to get a FISA warrant on an American.

Well come on WildCat. You know they wanted one anyway...that just made it easier....that's all.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 am

Skeeve wrote:
WildCat wrote:And now we see that a fake dossier manufactured by a foreigner and funded by a political party is enough to get a FISA warrant on an American.

Well come on WildCat. You know they wanted one anyway...that just made it easier....that's all.

Good article by Mollie Hemingway on this subject: http://thefederalist.com/2017/04/20/did ... qus_thread

A snippet:

According to The Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978, federal agents need to demonstrate probable cause to believe that the “target of the surveillance is a foreign power or agent of a foreign power.” Carter Page is a U.S. Naval Academy graduate, businessman, and academic who will tell anyone who will listen his views that NATO enlargement was a mistaken foreign policy, and that hostility to Russia is a bad strategy for the United States.

These things are not illegal or evidence of being an agent of the Russians. In fact, going to Moscow after being named in major media as a foreign policy advisor to the president to loudly proclaim a pro-Russian line critical of existing policy at a prominent university is not exactly top spycraft. Yes, it could be double-super-secret-spycraft, and perhaps the U.S. government, which has now been revealed to have spied on a U.S. citizen, has evidence to support such surveillance. Did the FBI go to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court (FISC) after corroborating the claims of the dossier? Or did the agency go to the court and characterize the information as credible based on the fact its paid opposition researcher had been an MI6 spy?

Defenders of the FBI say that the FISC judge wouldn’t have issued warrant without strong corroborating evidence and that the courts reviewing applications are very strict. However, securing warrants from a judge does not appear to be as difficult as some claim. Some 38,365 applications for FISA surveillance were made through 2015. Courts denied only 12 requests since 1979. That’s a rejection rate of .03 percent.

Until evidence is provided, journalists who care about privacy and abuse of power should be asking tough questions of everyone involved. Despite a nearly year-long campaign of leaks and innuendo to tie Trump to Russia, nothing has been provided to support the claim of collusion. Until and unless any of the people making such claims produce actual evidence of Trump associates having knowledge of Russian actions beforehand, and coordinating the placement and timing of leaks for political effect, the proper focus of journalists should be on the rampant abuse of power in a political opponent being surveilled by his own government.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:26 am

http://thefederalist.com/2017/09/14/rem ... g-scandal/

Rice: I know nothing about this. I was surprised to see reports from Chairman Nunes on that count today.

WRONG

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:53 am

Lock her up! Lock her up!

What?

--J.D.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”