Trump, Offering No Evidence, Says Obama Tapped His Phones

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Re: Trump, Offering No Evidence, Says Obama Tapped His Phones

Post by sparks » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:56 am

No. Not to those few who remain rational. But, we do await the results of the investigation. 'Tis true, we have the Tar and Feathers close at hand.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 am

No matter what happens, we will have to listen to Trump cry for the rest of his life about how badly he's been treated.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:28 am

Par for the course for Teh Orange Fucktard. Poor little rich kid with a silver spoon up his ass and nobody loves him, nobody will give him a pony.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 am

If you agreed with them, you would be innocent.

Only the guilty disagree.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:15 am

I definitely don't agree with assuming that there's suspicion if there was an investigation. If the procedure was followed let's see some details and make up our own mind, instead of speculating.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Pyrrho wrote:No matter what happens, we will have to listen to Trump cry for the rest of his life about how badly he's been treated.
Perfect intro...

What, too simplistic?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:13 pm

Yes, that's the problem

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:18 pm

The bit about him meeting with network anchors "off the record" and telling them things that apparently were not exactly true and saying that they could attribute what he said to a "senior administration official", that bit is actually true.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:The bit about him meeting with network anchors "off the record" and telling them things that apparently were not exactly true and saying that they could attribute what he said to a "senior administration official", that bit is actually true.
Republicans think that's 4D chess :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:21 am

Now begins the moving of goalposts:

White House Says Trump’s Wiretap Claim Was Meant More Broadly
Two senior White House officials suggested on Monday that President Trump’s unsubstantiated claim that President Barack Obama had tapped his telephone was not meant to be taken literally, arguing that Mr. Trump had been referring more broadly to a variety of surveillance efforts during the 2016 campaign when he made the incendiary accusation.

“He doesn’t really think that President Obama went up and tapped his phone personally,” said Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary.

In fact, Mr. Spicer said, when Mr. Trump charged in a Twitter post last weekend that Mr. Obama “had my ‘wires tapped’ in Trump Tower,” he was referring generally to surveillance activities during the 2016 race — not to an actual telephone wiretap.

“The president was very clear in his tweet that it was, you know, ‘wiretapping,’” Mr. Spicer said, using his fingers to make a gesture suggesting quotation marks. “That spans a whole host of surveillance types of options.”
There was a series of tweets, but two were very specific. He said "I'd bet a good lawyer could make a great case out of the fact that President Obama was tapping my phones in October, just prior to Election!"

Meanwhile, the House Intelligence Committee told the Justice Department to provide evidence by today, Monday if they had any records. Instead they asked for more time:
The explanations came as the Justice Department asked the leaders of the House Intelligence Committee, who had given a Monday deadline to produce proof of Mr. Trump’s claim, for more time “to determine what if any responsive documents exist.”
So no concrete evidence is forthcoming, and the media reports simply relied on unnamed sources.
Kellyanne Conway, Mr. Trump’s senior adviser, said in an interview on Sunday that Mr. Obama could have employed any number of devices other than a traditional telephone wiretap, even including a microwave oven.

Moving goalposts, special pleading. "Could have" doesn't mean "did".
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:33 am

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:46 am

Yeah, I saw the goalposts moving today too. I laughed out loud when I saw Spicer quoted.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:51 am

Are you saying that Obama was ABOVE listening through his microwave?!

WAKE UP SHEEPerson!

--J. "Microwave CAN'T MELT STEEL!!" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 am

So?

Was somebody from the "deep state" tapping Trump's phones (that is, not necessarily at Obama's behest)?

And if not, how did he get a free pass?

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:53 am

WASHINGTON — American law enforcement and intelligence agencies are examining intercepted communications and financial transactions as part of a broad investigation into possible links between Russian officials and associates of President-elect Donald J. Trump, including his former campaign chairman Paul Manafort, current and former senior American officials said.

The continuing counterintelligence investigation means that Mr. Trump will take the oath of office on Friday with his associates under investigation and after the intelligence agencies concluded that the Russian government had worked to help elect him. As president, Mr. Trump will oversee those agencies and have the authority to redirect or stop at least some of these efforts.

It is not clear whether the intercepted communications had anything to do with Mr. Trump’s campaign, or Mr. Trump himself. It is also unclear whether the inquiry has anything to do with an investigation into the hacking of the Democratic National Committee’s computers and other attempts to disrupt the elections in November. The American government has concluded that the Russian government was responsible for a broad computer hacking campaign, including the operation against the D.N.C.
The counterintelligence investigation centers at least in part on the business dealings that some of the president-elect’s past and present advisers have had with Russia. Mr. Manafort has done business in Ukraine and Russia. Some of his contacts there were under surveillance by the National Security Agency for suspected links to Russia’s Federal Security Service, one of the officials said.

Mr. Manafort is among at least three Trump campaign advisers whose possible links to Russia are under scrutiny. Two others are Carter Page, a businessman and former foreign policy adviser to the campaign, and Roger Stone, a longtime Republican operative.

The F.B.I. is leading the investigations, aided by the National Security Agency, the C.I.A. and the Treasury Department’s financial crimes unit. The investigators have accelerated their efforts in recent weeks but have found no conclusive evidence of wrongdoing, the officials said. One official said intelligence reports based on some of the wiretapped communications had been provided to the White House.
Counterintelligence investigations examine the connections between American citizens and foreign governments. Those connections can involve efforts to steal state or corporate secrets, curry favor with American government leaders or influence policy. It is unclear which Russian officials are under investigation, or what particular conversations caught the attention of American eavesdroppers. The legal standard for opening these investigations is low, and prosecutions are rare.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/19/us/p ... ation.html

it goes on. This is the 1/19 Times story that they are trying to walk away from. Reason is that they clearly say that Trumps people are being surveilled and if they are, Trump is, ipso facto.

Unless this was fake news as part of the NYT effort to discredit him at every turn. Can't really have it both ways.
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:30 pm

The "narrative" this week is that there is no Deep State.

Talk about your Orwell. We're watching Big Brother's attempt to stay alive in the Trump presidency. The media is still running Deep State narratives including "we don't exist".

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:19 pm

Now the story is that Trump was not "wiretapped" which means the first story is BS and/or fake.
- new minimalist ethos -

corplinx

Post by corplinx » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:36 pm

the official goalpost shift will be something like:
Yeah, you know what i mean by wiretapped, I mean they were watching me. You know what i mean, they have all kinds of ways of snooping on you and it's some scary stuff. We have some great folks in the intelligence though, don't we folks? But Barack Obama, he corrupted the system. That's what I'm doing now. Draining the swamp.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:43 pm

Why do you OPPOSE Draining the Swamp?

Do not bother typing, just speak into the cat next to you. . . .

--J.D.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:46 pm

corplinx wrote:the official goalpost shift will be something like:
Yeah, you know what i mean by wiretapped, I mean they were watching me. You know what i mean, they have all kinds of ways of snooping on you and it's some scary stuff. We have some great folks in the intelligence though, don't we folks? But Barack Obama, he corrupted the system. That's what I'm doing now. Draining the swamp.
Emphasis added.

Substantially true (modulo stylistic Trumpiness) except for the emphasized bit.

I seriously do blame Bush. Or at least it happened on his watch.