Syria

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: Syria

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:48 am

Administration talking points memo:

Trump administration on Syria strikes: ‘Russia faces a choice’

President Trump initiated strikes on the Syrian military on Thursday, a bold and risky response to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s latest use of chemical weapons against his own people. In lengthy internal notes that were distributed to U.S. government agencies late Thursday evening, which I obtained in full, the administration lays out its justifications for the strikes and the challenge the United States is now laying at Russia’s feet.

Worth reading, imo.

The administration also says Russia seeks to sow confusion in the global community about who is responsible for the use of chemical weapons against the Syrian people and rejects the Russian government’s claims that the recent attack was aimed at an opposition chemical weapons depot. “It is a completely implausible assertion, and demeaning of those innocents who lost their lives,” the notes read. “Russia promotes a set of false facts, supported only by the Assad regime and its backers, much like it did after the attack on a UN convoy in northern Aleppo last September, or after the horrific use of chemical weapons in Ghouta in 2013, and as it does after each and every atrocity launched by the regime.”

The document accuses the Russian government of reneging on the 2013 bargain it struck with the Obama administration following the chemical weapons attacks of that year. The United States is presenting Russia with a challenge, pressure Assad or admit its diplomatic impotence.

“Russia faces a choice: either it takes responsibility for ensuring that Assad complies with the removal of these weapons as Russia committed it would do or it admits that it lacks the ability to control Assad,” the document states. “Russia’s posture must change if the Syrian conflict is ever going to be resolved — and for the sake of our humanity, it must.”

Total Putin Lackey!

Fwiw, Hillary Clinton advocated a similar response hours before the airstrike:
Hillary Clinton: US should 'take out' Assad's air fields

And for shitpost purposes, more stuff Trump said in 2013:
http://www.factcheck.org/2017/04/trumps-line-syria/
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 am

So much for "The Donald-Vlad I BFF."

I would say he is astoundingly lucky, but a Cunt Dictator committing crimes against humanity with the knowledge and encouragement of another Cunt So-Near-Dictator-the-Distinction-Cannot-be-Measured should not be characterized as "luck." Be that as it may, think anyone is going to give a shit about "Russian Influences?!!11!"

Meanwhile, now that Chuckles forced the Republicans to cut off his balls when one of the octogenarian liberal Associate Justices breaks a hip/gets hit by falling masonry whilst swimming in the Potomac, Trump can nominate Judge Roy Fucking Bean. Hell, he could actually-as some PsychoCons suggested--nominate Ted "I'm on My Knees" Cruz!

And the only hope the Democrats would have is that Republicans would stop and think, "wait . . . what? THAT asshole! Hell no!"

Did I mention Trump roots for Tom Brady.

Waaaaaiiiiiiitttttttt. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:57 am

Seems some of Trump's biggest supporters are not happy (see the top comments):

http://www.breitbart.com/national-secur ... al-attack/

E.g., "This is becoming more and more just another neocon administration."
"Trump has some explaining to do. This isn't what I voted for."

And those are some of the milder ones.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:09 am

And fuck them.

Just as Marxists behave like Fascists, some PsychoCons approach Moonbats in the delusion that we can just shut our doors to foreign affairs. Both fools will claim "THIS CREATES ENEMIES!!!"

I have little patience for them.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:14 am

Oh this is HiLARiOUS! From the same live-BBC feed linkypoo'd above:

Just a couple of months ago there was a sense of elation here in political circles that Donald Trump had been elected president. Finally here was a president who had been saying nice things about President Putin and was talking about boosting relations with Russia. He was depicted in state-run media almost as a fairy tale figure, a knight in shining armour who was going to ride to the rescue of US-Russia relations.

All of that has gone now really. This morning we’ve been hearing a lot of criticism of Mr Trump. One pro-government radio station said it was clear he had not beaten Hillary Clinton in last year’s election because the military scenario we’re seeing is hers.

--J.D.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:16 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Trump in 2013: "The President must get Congressional approval before attacking Syria-big mistake if he does not!"

Just sayin.

He was talking about Obama. :)

On a serious note, and not trying to state the obvious, the necessity to get the approval of congress derives from the War Powers Act. Every president has refuted the constitutionality of it. It has yet to be tested. Nor will it be this time because Republicans hold the majority.

I'm torn on it personally. On the one hand, a single missile can vest us in a conflict we can't get out of, or worse, start a global war. On the other hand, if you wait for the approval of congress for every 'police action', which is what this was, you can't act quickly or decisively. In the past, most presidents have met with leaders of congress before taking action. But not always. Clinton in Kosovo probably, Obama in Libya certainly, many others arguably.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:28 am

Hit reset. Nuke and pave. The hell with all of them.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:47 am

What I don't get is why we targeted some bodunk airfield they can rebuild in a month. Why not target Assad's fucking house, along with every command and control facility in the fucking country. Even if we didn't know where he was, targeting him directly would have sent a much stronger message. Like Operation El Dorado Canyon wherein Reagan targeted Gaddafi directly. Reagan's error was only trying once.

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:12 pm

↑ "War is the massacre of people who don’t know each other for the profit of people who know each other but don’t massacre each other." ("La guerre est le massacre de gens qui ne se connaissent pas au profit de gens qui se connaissent mais ne se massacrent pas entre eux.")
Paul Valéry

ed

Postby ed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:40 pm

Now you're talking, Rob. I knew what they were saying about you wasn't true.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:54 pm

Eternal warfare is the bipartisan foreign policy.

Now ISIS will win in Syria, all the remaining Christians will be massacred, and we will have war with Russia.

Thanks, Obamump. :evil:

On the up side, the neo-cons and some of the Democrats (maybe even Hillary herself) will be nicer to The DonTM. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:24 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed

Postby ed » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:49 pm

remember my Patriot Fund?
- new minimalist ethos -

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:20 pm

Rob Lister wrote:What I don't get is why we targeted some bodunk airfield they can rebuild in a month. Why not target Assad's fucking house, along with every command and control facility in the fucking country. Even if we didn't know where he was, targeting him directly would have sent a much stronger message. Like Operation El Dorado Canyon wherein Reagan targeted Gaddafi directly. Reagan's error was only trying once.

Ok Assad is dead and the country is back to another 8 years of civil war, then what?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:20 pm

A ton of internet trumpists got on the FALSE FLAG thing about the gas attack.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:24 pm

It's been fun watching Democrats go into mental gymnastics using Trumps old tweets as the way to keep hating him through this tactical strike.

Muh russia!
Muh muh muh....

LOOK AT THESE OLD TWEETS, HES A BIG PHONY!!!!

SAD people. LOW ENERGY. Big shame.

Meanwhile, on reddit I saw this gem.

no one in particular

Postby no one in particular » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:31 pm

Corplix is on AT&T? Low coverage. Sad.

I have to say though, this strike plus the Bannon security council removal has me for once feeling slightly optimistic about President Trump. I thought maybe Trump was immune to it, but it seems Obama was right when he said, "This office has a way of waking you up."
Killing me with humorous lines will not Clark Kent the egg salad. ~Skeptoid

It seems that our RIVER has run dry.

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:What I don't get is why we targeted some bodunk airfield they can rebuild in a month. Why not target Assad's fucking house, along with every command and control facility in the fucking country. Even if we didn't know where he was, targeting him directly would have sent a much stronger message. Like Operation El Dorado Canyon wherein Reagan targeted Gaddafi directly. Reagan's error was only trying once.

Ok Assad is dead and the country is back to another 8 years of civil war, then what?

Then we take their oil and go home. Dumbass.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

Then we take their oil and go home. Dumbass.

But what about the lamentation of their women?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:45 pm

no one in particular wrote:Corplix is on AT&T? Low coverage. Sad.

Company phone. Haven't had a personal one in almost a decade. HUGE savings. Get a new phone every 2 years. Samsung S6 currently. Bigly savings!

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”