Syria

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

Re: Syria

Post by WildCat » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Nikki Haley calling out Russia and Iran at the UN today.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:00 pm

corplinx wrote:A ton of internet trumpists got on the FALSE FLAG thing about the gas attack.
Assad was clearly trying to distract us from the fact that TRUMP STOLE ELECTION!1!!

Probably used the same actors as they did in Sandy Hook and the Boston Marathon bombing.

At least, that is what Fucktards preach.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:05 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:
Doctor X wrote:To answer the rhetorical flourish that concludes your quotation, "what a difference killing children with nerve gas makes."
Yeah, on the other hand killing children with barrel bombs is that much different?
Yes.
After thinking about this for a while, yeah, it is different. That's what they decided after World War I. A horrible war, maybe the most horrible war ever, save for World War II. But despite all the people who were killed by bombs and bullets in World War I, they didn't ban bombs and bullets after the war, they banned nerve gas. So the question was settled 100 years ago. You can kill with bombs, bullets, even fire. But not with gas.

By the way, if anyone listens to podcasts, I highly recommend the recent series on World War I from Hardcore History.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Is this article making a good point or are they missing something?

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/90 ... was-a-sham
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:48 pm

gnome wrote:Is this article making a good point or are they missing something?

The strike wasn't intended to permanently destroy the base just to send a message. There simply weren't enough missiles launched to destroy every plane, and there are pictures of others that were destroyed inside the hardened shelters. Just using Google Earth I counted 40 hardened aircraft shelters at that base, there were only 59 missiles launched and many went to destroying buildings and hangars and such. It would probably take 2-3 missiles per shelter to destroy them all, assuming one or 2 misses for every direct hit. It's a small target.

eta: coordinates of the base
34°29'34.19"N 36°54'25.34"E

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:55 pm

So many people seem to intentionally be missing this. We sent the world's largest "warning shot" that managed to avoid killing Russian troops and thus avoiding international escalation.

People need to stop thinking in terms of Trump and think in terms of Mad Dog Mattis. Trump basically delegated the "stick" to him when he picked him.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:56 pm

I just checked Wikipedia and she was born in South Carolina, so that's in order.

Hot enough to be the first woman president of the United States?
nikki-haley-united-nations-syria.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:25 pm

WildCat wrote:
gnome wrote:Is this article making a good point or are they missing something?

The strike wasn't intended to permanently destroy the base just to send a message. There simply weren't enough missiles launched to destroy every plane, and there are pictures of others that were destroyed inside the hardened shelters. Just using Google Earth I counted 40 hardened aircraft shelters at that base, there were only 59 missiles launched and many went to destroying buildings and hangars and such. It would probably take 2-3 missiles per shelter to destroy them all, assuming one or 2 misses for every direct hit. It's a small target.

eta: coordinates of the base
34°29'34.19"N 36°54'25.34"E
The main point:
Why this all matters is that we are supposed to be laser-focused on defeating ISIS, and primarily on sacking the capital of their so-called Caliphate in Raqqa. As I have explained in my earlier piece, we have gone through great lengths to keep the airspace over Syria open to our coalition drones, helicopters, surveillance and attack aircraft, by not getting drawn into Syria's larger civil war. Now all that work, some of it at great risk, has been jettisoned for a useless "revenge" strike. The fight against ISIS, what should be our preeminent focus, is now going to be much harder after yesterday's act. And the change is coming right when we have the Islamic State's seat of power finally in our sights.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:52 am

Pyrrho wrote:The main point:
Is whining foolishness and part of the reason the mess is what it is.

These fools who think you can separate out players in a conflict. Who think if you "play nice" with crocodiles they will leave you and what you care about alone.

Utter foolishness.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 pm

It was essentially a warning shot, not supposed to maximize destruction. That's why they warned the Russians in advance.

Enough to send a message, but also to say that it could be a lot worse next time. Not doing so invites Assad to gas his people again, if he knows that the consequence is nothing more than angry condemnations.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm

Over by DU, warning the Russians proves Trump is a TRAITOR!!!!111!!
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:42 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:It was essentially a warning shot, not supposed to maximize destruction. That's why they warned the Russians in advance.

Enough to send a message, but also to say that it could be a lot worse next time. Not doing so invites Assad to gas his people again, if he knows that the consequence is nothing more than angry condemnations.
Agreed.

Might be the only smart thing The Don has done as president so far.
Such potential!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:56 pm

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-peopl ... SKBN179058
"I really believe we should have and still should take out his air fields and prevent him from being able to use them to bomb innocent people and drop sarin gas on them."

Clinton noted that she had advocated for a no-fly zone in Syria after leaving government, something that Obama opposed.
So basically...
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:18 pm

Like all of us she is nothing but a keyboard warrior now.

Probably for the best considering.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:20 pm

...it's time to turn that entire patch of sand into Trinitite?

What?

Oh.

Sorry.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Post by Bruce » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:10 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote: Hot enough to be the first woman president of the United States?
Hillary wasn't, and yet almost was.

If Patton were alive and in Syria right now, he would be calling up Trump after a clean sweep through the capital and asking him if he should continue onward to Saudi Arabia now while he's in the neighborhood.

“A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week.”
Such potential!

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:07 am

The US, UK and France have bombed multiple government targets in Syria in an early morning operation targeting alleged chemical weapons sites.

The strikes were in response to a suspected The same way O.J. is "suspected." chemical attack on the Syrian town of Douma last week.

Explosions hit the capital, Damascus, as well as two locations near the city of Homs, the Pentagon said.

Russia's ambassador to the US responded by saying the attack on its ally "will not be left without consequences". More consequential than the vows to "shoot down all the missiles?"

"The nations of Britain, France, and the United States of America have marshalled their righteous power against barbarism and brutality," US President Donald Trump said in an address from the White House at about 21:00 local time (02:00 BST).

"The purpose of our actions tonight is to establish a strong deterrent against the production, spread, and use of chemical weapons," he said.

The wave of strikes is the most significant attack against President Bashar al-Assad's government by Western powers in seven years of Syria's civil war.

At a Pentagon briefing shortly after Mr Trump's announcement, Gen Joseph Dunford listed three targets that had been struck:
  • * A scientific research facility in Damascus, allegedly connected to the production of chemical and biological weapons
    * A chemical weapons storage facility west of Homs
    * A chemical weapons equipment storage site and an important command post, also near Homs
Bugger'd by Colonists
So much for the Russian ability to down the missiles and sink the ships.

So much for Obama's "line."

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:52 pm

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:58 pm

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 pm

Once again Russian air defense systems are easily penetrated by the USA and allied air power.