The Cosby Show

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Re: The Cosby Show

Post by Rob Lister » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:40 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/cos ... d=48195733

Initially 12-0 to acquit on two of three counts then progressed and deadlocked at 10-2 to convict. Wow.

There was only one injury. :o

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Bill Cosby plans 'sexual assault education' speaking tour
Embattled comic Bill Cosby plans to embark on a town hall-style speaking tour to educate young people about sexual assault allegations.

His spokespeople said on Thursday that due to changing laws, more young men will face sexual assault allegations.

Mr Cosby narrowly escaped a prison sentence when a sexual assault trial against him ended in a hung jury.

Prosecutors plan to retry the case. At least 50 other women accuse him of drugging and sexually assaulting them.

Cosby spokesman Andrew Wyatt told WBRC-TV's Good Day Alabama that the comedian will begin his summer motivational speaking tour in Alabama as early as July.

"This is bigger than Bill Cosby," Mr Wyatt said, adding "this issue can affect any young person, especially young athletes of today".

"They need to know what they're facing when they're hanging out and partying, when they're doing certain things that they shouldn't be doing," he told the interviewer.
More likely a "poison the potential jury pool" speaking tour.

Mr. Cosby, you are not the victim. Go suck a "Benadryl" or three.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:36 pm

A speaking tour? Really?

I can't imagine that will go very smoothly.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:24 am

I wonder what the ticket prices will be.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:33 am

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 am

Pyrrho wrote:
"They need to know what they're facing when they're hanging out and partying, when they're doing certain things that they shouldn't be doing," he told the interviewer.
Like raping women?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL Champions!!!

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:48 am

Doctor X wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:
Like raping women?

--J.D.
Pretty much. He's going to instruct them in how not to get caught, how to handle criminal defense if they do, and then how to monetize it. I expect he'll include tear-jerking apologetics for cheating on his wife, Camille the Enabler.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:17 pm

https://www.good.is/articles/shonda-rhi ... bill-cosby
@shondarhimes
From Shonda's Town Hall on Avoiding Sexual Assault Charges: 1)Do not sexually assault anyone. 2)Shut up-this attention belongs to survivors.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:39 pm

Bill Cosby accuser admits concocting story for memoir
In what could be a major blow to the prosecution's sexual assault case against Bill Cosby, a former model and reality TV star admitted on the witness stand Thursday that she fabricated passages in a memoir -- including a story of "rebuffing" the comedian's advances.

Janice Dickinson took the witness stand in a Pennsylvania courtroom, testifying in Cosby's retrial on three counts of aggravated indecent assault.

Called by the prosecution, the 63-year-old Dickinson recounted a 1982 incident in a Lake Tahoe, California, hotel room, in which she says she was drugged and raped by Cosby.

“Here was 'America’s Dad' on top of me -- a happily married man with five children,” Dickinson testified in Montgomery County Court in Norristown. “And I remember thinking how wrong it was -- how very, very wrong.”

...[snip]...

Under cross-examination, Cosby's attorney, Tom Mesereau, confronted Dickinson about her 2002 ghostwritten memoir, "No Lifeguard on Duty: The Accidental Life of the World's First Supermodel."

Mesereau challenged Dickinson's testimony, pointing out her description of the assault differed wildly from the Lake Tahoe encounter with Cosby she described in her memoir.

Holding up a copy of her book, Mesereau cited passages in which she described rebuffing Cosby’s advances in Lake Tahoe, then “popping two Quaaludes and going to sleep” alone in her own hotel room.

Dickinson acknowledged that she concocted stories in the book in order to get a much-needed paycheck.

"It's all a fabrication there because I wanted the paycheck for my kids," Dickinson testified, adding that her ghostwriter took "poetic license” with her life story.

Seizing on her answer, Mesereau replied, “So you made things up to get a paycheck?”
Oops.....

Remember now, Mr. prosecutor, you WANTED to get her and other women to testify.
Even though the "incidents" they would testify about, were beyond the statute of limitations...
Now you may have tainted your whole case. Good job, and what a lovely wast of taxpayer money.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:05 pm

Rather that in the book she left out an inflammatory claim in order to still get a paycheck. I think it would be completely fair for her to worry for the book's success if she used it to accuse Cosby at that time.

Fear of retaliation or consequences does have a chilling affect on reporting.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm

gnome wrote:Rather that in the book she left out an inflammatory claim in order to still get a paycheck. I think it would be completely fair for her to worry for the book's success if she used it to accuse Cosby at that time.

SO, why not file a police report?
If it was true that is....

However we have "... she concocted stories " and "...It's all a fabrication there" and now we have "... 'America’s Dad' on top of me...",
where is there truth to be found...

Either way it taints her "testimony," and hurts the case.

Well, the judge let it in, water over the bridge now,
and If Cosby gets off, because of this,
then its on Mr. District Attorney for (perhaps) overplaying his hand.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:14 pm

Skeeve wrote:
gnome wrote:Rather that in the book she left out an inflammatory claim in order to still get a paycheck. I think it would be completely fair for her to worry for the book's success if she used it to accuse Cosby at that time.

Please see the bolded above, since you seem to have missed the point. Personally I think it's a dick move to paint her reluctance to publish an incriminating statement as a sign of untrustworthiness.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:23 pm

gnome wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

Please see the bolded above, since you seem to have missed the point. Personally I think it's a dick move to paint her reluctance to publish an incriminating statement as a sign of untrustworthiness.
This:
Fear of retaliation or consequences does have a chilling affect on reporting
Don't understand your point here.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:43 pm

gnome wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

Please see the bolded above, since you seem to have missed the point.
Personally I think it's a dick move to paint her reluctance to publish an incriminating statement as a sign of untrustworthiness.
Again, why no police report?

Police investigated reports of sexual abuse, even back then.
Yes, they hadn't adopted the "listen and believe" mantra that feminists are pounding now a days.
Back then, I suspect it was more listen, investigate, believe facts, and either move to indict or not .
Well, that was then.

Now, at this trial, the question remains: Was she lying then or is she lying now.
That is what a jury gets to decide upon (among other things) in THIS case.
You call this a "dick move" be that as it may.
I suspect a defense attorney would call it "destroying the credibility of a witness."
Which, after all, is their job.
See: https://www.nycourts.gov/judges/cji/1-G ... bility.pdf

As an aside, you seem to claim that this bit was left out of the book to secure a paycheck.
You could just as easily make the case that, the more lurid the tale, the more the book would have sold IMHO, YMMV.

Its Mr. District Attorney's job to present a case, beyond a reasonable doubt...and in this witness, he may have fucked up.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:56 pm

ed wrote:
gnome wrote:
Skeeve wrote:

This:
Fear of retaliation or consequences does have a chilling affect on reporting
Don't understand your point here.
You don't understand how she could have faced negative consequences for publishing an incriminating statement when she didn't trust that the authorities could make it stick?

I recognize there's a question of overcompensation now, but there was quite a genuine problem with making a successful case at that time.
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely fair to bring up a different account by the accuse, question it, and ask a jury to consider it. I just don't consider it the end of her case, because her behavior makes sense even if she is telling the truth now.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:06 pm

gnome: Your level of reasonableness in inappropriate. :evil:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:22 pm

...Cosby juror explains why he wasn't convinced by the plaintiff
From the first trial (old story, but still interesting IMHO)
One of the jurors in Bill Cosby's trial said that he did not find the accusation of rape convincing because the accuser had worn a bare midriff and had no "stained garment" to show.
"She was well-coached," the juror, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told The Inquirer and The Daily News. "Let’s face it: She went up to his house with a bare midriff and incense and bath salts. What the heck?"
Even though Cosby's defense lawyer spent just six minutes to say that the relationship was consensual, the juror still said that he found Cosby more convincing than the prosecution, which spent five days laying out extensive evidence from the police, legal experts and Constand herself.
"No stained garment, no smoking gun, nothing," he said, adding that you could draw little from evidence from decades ago.

He further added that the accusations of 60 women who have since come forward with similar accusations had played no role in his deliberations — he thought many of them made up their claims to get attention.
What, women, make up stories for attention?
What's this world coming to....

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:36 pm

Meanwhile at the retrial...
At Cosby trial, experts disagree on how drugs affected woman
PHILADELPHIA — The prosecution’s expert said Andrea Constand could have felt weak and woozy, with blurred vision and a dry mouth, as quickly as 10 to 15 minutes after taking pills that Bill Cosby gave her.

But an expert called by Cosby’s defense team said she couldn’t have felt those symptoms so quickly or severely from the Benadryl that Cosby said he gave her.
The battle of the experts...and the prosecution rests....get your popcorn, time for round two!
:Popcorn:

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:42 pm

In the OP of June 2017 ...
Mr. Lister wrote:Opening arguments are scheduled for today. Most of the media has him convicted and sentenced but, I think, only reluctantly so. Most of America seems rather ho-hum about it all. I think I'm in the latter camp. Odds are good that he's guilty. Odds are even [at best] he'll be convicted. Odds are pretty damn low he'll do jail time.

Here's one link of a dozen thousand
http://deadline.com/2017/06/bill-cosby- ... 202107311/

I'm giving even odds on conviction.
I'm giving 3:1 odds against jail.
For this second trial, I'm still giving even odds on conviction but 2:1 odds against jail. Revised because of the whole #METOO thingee. If he goes to jail, he won't die there.