Google is evil thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Google is evil thread

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:There should also be no expectation that an invitation to comment on management is ever anything but hypocritical window dressing.

That's what unions are for.

Every so often we have a "confidential...but not anonymous" survey about various things, with opportunity to comment.

Guess who leaves that comment box empty? Go on, guess.

Each time they promise to share the results with us. Each time that never happens, lol...and each time, the executives are quite pissed off for about a month.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, wasn't born yesterday, don't take plugged nickels, etc.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Witness

Postby Witness » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:12 am

Pyrrho wrote:and each time, the executives are quite pissed off for about a month.

Made me :lol:

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Thu Aug 31, 2017 3:50 am

One more interview with the author of the 'GOOGLE MEMO'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2J5E8sSdsI
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:39 pm

Point
Google employees say the company's not doing enough to protect them from harassment, threats

SAN FRANCISCO — The firing of Google engineer James Damore for suggesting men are more suited to technical roles than women has triggered a culture war inside the Internet giant, with some Google employees saying the company is not doing enough to protect them from a harassment campaign that has subjected them to hateful comments and violent threats.

These employees, many of whom volunteer as diversity advocates, say they've been targeted by some of their own coworkers for fighting to bring greater diversity to Google's 78,000-plus staff of mostly white and Asian men.

Counterpoint

I’m An Ex-Google Woman Tech Leader And I’m Sick Of Our Approach To Diversity!

I ran cross-functional engineering projects managing 20–30 men (engineers mostly) at Google. Most of the time, I was the only woman. Men who reported to me liked and respected me. Men who managed me liked and respected me.
I left Google to build UrbanAMA. As a woman entrepreneur, I wanted to build a company that had a diverse team. I’m ashamed to admit that I’ve failed miserably so far.

We try hard, but again find ourselves with a 98% male candidate pool. You should know that we are an early stage startup that cannot afford market salaries. Despite that, we paid premium salaries to bring a few women who did well in our interviews. But, they lacked the energy to put us into overdrive. Worse, they were starting to drain the energy from the rest of the team. Eventually, we had to do the right thing for the company and let them go. I’m now back to being the only woman on the (tech) team.
After diversity attempts at large companies and my own startup and the attempts to start tech early with my own children, I can tell you that our obsession with diversity and attempts to solve it are only fucking it up for the actual women in tech out there!

What do I mean by this?

We get upset about the state of gender diversity in tech

We make a pact to hire more women

The pool has (a lot) more men than women

After some rounds of low to no success, we start to compromise and hire women just because we have to.

Gender quotas!
Yes a success, a flaming success...
but I digress, let her tell it.
These women show up at work and perform not as great as we want them to.

It reinforces to the male population that was already peeved by the diversity push that women aren’t that good at tech after all.

They generalize that observation on the entire women in tech community.

Sooner or later, some such opinions get out there.

The feminists amongst us go crazy.

The diversity advocates are caught in a frenzy and make a pact to hire more women (again).

This loops. Infinitely.

In the name of diversity, when we fill quotas to check boxes, we fuck it up for the genuinely amazing women in tech.

And this makes me sick.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:44 pm

They are not diversity advocates, they are sexist advocates.
- new minimalist ethos -

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:26 pm

From a recent tweet:

The article: YouTube CEO calls tech a 'very geeky male industry'

The lack of diversity in tech isn't a new issue, and yet top leaders in Silicon Valley still struggle to talk about it.
Swisher started the conversation by addressing Wojcicki and calling out the statistic that two in 10 employees at Google are women.

"Everyone talks about Silicon Valley as a meritocracy, I see it as a mirror-tocracy, meaning white guys look at each other and hire each other, essentially. What — where are we on this and what do you think needs to happen?" Swisher asked.

To which Wojcicki replied, "I think the problem is, is that computer science as a whole and tech as a whole has a reputation of being a very geeky male industry. And so if you look, not within the industry, but just as an educational pipeline, you see that we only have 20 percent of women graduating with computer science degrees, and that’s a problem in and of itself, because that means we don’t have enough people graduating who have those degrees. And you say, well, why is that? I think it has to do with these perceptions that the computer industry is, a geeky, not very interesting, not social industries, and it just couldn’t be further from the truth."

Swisher interrupted Wojcicki with a brief, "Come on." And later, "I'm going to — I'm going to disagree with you [on] that strongly."

:lol:
Last edited by Skeeve on Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:34 pm

lol is right. So are they going to fire him?

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Rob Lister wrote:lol is right. So are they going to fire him?

Doubtful... meanwhile James Damore launches Infomercial, it's short and succinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9_o42QaVnA

Very nicely done IMHO,...YMMV.

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Thanks, Skeeve. I can relate. I write scientific reports every day that clients complain about without actually reading them. The corporate environment does horrible things to the brains of people, especially those who are put in charge of managing other people. The larger the corporation, the scarier it gets.
Such potential!

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:24 pm

Setback for James Damore: U.S. National Labor Relations Board rejected Damore's claim that Google fired him unjustly

A federal body overseeing labor disputes advised the dismissal of Jeremy Damore's claim that Google fired him unjustly for his controversial memo regarding inclusion and diversity programs at the company.
It's not the end of the road for Damore, though this decisive refutation of his complaint is a significant and public setback. He has also filed a class action lawsuit against the company and is agitating in other ways against the political correctness he feels led to his dismissal.

Who knows what will happen next.
We'll see....

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:37 pm

A guy named Swisher should not comment on gender issues.
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 am

Seen in The Atlantic:

The More Gender Equality, the Fewer Women in STEM

A new study explores a strange paradox: In countries that empower women, they are less likely to choose math and science professions.

A scatterplot of countries based on their number of female STEM graduates and their Global Gender Gap Index (y-axis), a measure of opportunities for women (Psychological Science)
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Don't forget! March 8th is World Badger Punting Day!

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”