Google is evil thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Google is evil thread

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:58 pm

I really really really dislike the term "reverse discrimination". It implies there is a correct direction for (illegal) discrimination.

If the alleged "reverse discrimination" really is (illegal) discrimination, why not just call it "discrimination"?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:28 am

"Reverse discrimination" has a certain "history" as it were...oh well.

Meanwhile back at the 3VIL Alphabet corp (and its minions one of which is youtube)

Sargon Banned From YouTube. Company Works To Completely Silence The Right.
“Without warning, Google has suspended my account, which prevents me from logging into my YouTube accounts.

My YouTube channels had zero strikes. The purge is here.”
And Sargon is more of a center-est, than someone on 'the right'...IMHO.

But not to worry, it looks like the hue and cry may have been large because...

Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Another POV re the you-tube purge (Youtube, a leisure service of ALPHABET owner and master of the world Google).

Some predictions re other social media platforms...and he does ramble a bit too...

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:58 pm

Dr.Jordan Peterson Reacts to Being banned from YouTube by Google

Published on Aug 24, 2017 (only the first 4-5 min. Don't know why they left the rest in.)

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:36 pm

Skeeve wrote:"Reverse discrimination" has a certain "history" as it were...oh well.

Meanwhile back at the 3VIL Alphabet corp (and its minions one of which is youtube)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U85G7Lhvq54[/youtube]

Sargon Banned From YouTube. Company Works To Completely Silence The Right.
“Without warning, Google has suspended my account, which prevents me from logging into my YouTube accounts.

My YouTube channels had zero strikes. The purge is here.”
And Sargon is more of a center-est, than someone on 'the right'...IMHO.

But not to worry, it looks like the hue and cry may have been large because...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmbvBd6__Y4[/youtube]
UPDATE: Google Won’t Say Why It Suspended Classical Liberal Commentator Amid Latest YouTube Purge
Google would not say Thursday why it suspended the YouTube account of a popular classical liberal commentator.

The social media giant locked Carl Benjamin — an anti-political correctness vlogger who boasts over 750,000 subscribers — out of his account, claiming Benjamin’s Google account “looked like it was being used in a way that violated Google’s policies.”

“My YouTube channels had zero strikes,” said Benjamin, who goes by the pseudonym Sargon of Akkad.

“We don’t comment on specific accounts but this looks Google Account related, not [YouTube],” said Andrea Faville, a Google spokeswoman, to The Daily Caller News Foundation. Faville provided a link to a page suggesting that Google accounts could be suspended because users violated Google’s Terms of Service or product-specific policies, two of which pertain to YouTube.

Benjamin appealed his suspension and regained access to his account later Thursday. He posted a video in which he speculated why Google locked him out.
The reply from google was....

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:46 pm

A few years ago when Google was playing games with the "crooked Hillary" search term I started a thread about it at TOP in the "social issues and current events" section. Or maybe "computers and the internet", don't really remember. Anyway Darat moved it to the "conspiracy theories" section.

That's when I left that shithole site for good.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 am

Female Google engineer says she faced “frequent sexual harassment”
Woman charges “Google was fully aware” of sexist behavior but didn’t stop it.

A Google engineer says she was a frequent target of regular sexual harassment during her seven years at the company. In a lawsuit filed earlier this month, Loretta Lee (no relation) accused the Mountain View company of having a "bro-culture" that was hostile to women—and of doing too little to address the problem.
A "bro-culture"? Say no more!
OK, well what are the specifics?
“His hand grazed her breasts”

"Male colleagues spiked her drinks with whiskey and laughed about it," Lee's lawsuit states. "Male engineers shot nerf balls and darts at her almost every day."

Lee says that "on occasion," male colleagues sent her "disturbing and bizarre messages." One asked if she'd like a "horizontal hug." Another colleague "showed up at her apartment with a bottle of liquor and offered to work with her to fix a problem she was having with one of her devices." Lee "asked him to leave, but he refused."

Lee alleges that she was slapped in the face by a drunk male co-worker "for no apparent reason. Men in the workplace ogled her constantly. Plaintiff worked at Google beginning when she was 26 years old, and this bro-culture was the only professional environment she knew."

Lee says the most egregious incident occurred in January 2016, when she returned from a break to find a male co-worker "on all fours, underneath her desk." He reportedly jumped up and said "you'll never know what I was doing." The next day, the same co-worker "grabbed the name badge that hung on a lanyard around her neck and asked 'What's your name?' As he grabbed the lanyard, his hand grazed her breasts."

According to Lee, the human resources department began scheduling weekly meetings to pressure Lee to file a formal report about the incident. She initially resisted doing so out of fear that she would face retaliation from her co-workers. She says she knew that "none of the actions Human Resources claimed they would take would change the sexually charged environment that she endured for years."

Finally, she agreed to file a formal complaint, and "over the next few months, Plaintiff’s fears were realized," the lawsuit states. "Though she diligently wrote code, no one in her group would approve it."

As a result, her progress slowed and she was labeled a "poor performer" and terminated on February 22.

We contacted Lee's attorneys to ask about the timeline here, because it was hard to see how a "few months" could have passed between the January incident and her February 22 termination. An attorney for Lee told us that this was a mistake. "The complaint should read 'few weeks,' not “few months,'" he wrote.

Lee also alleges that Google failed to accommodate her medical needs after a serious car accident—something that's required by California disability law. According to Lee, a senior engineering director told her that she couldn't go to therapy appointments during work hours and would "be better doing that on [her] own time." She says that Google's lack of scheduling flexibility worsened the back pain and sleep problems she suffered as a result of the accident.
Some of those things seem like very serious issues (if true). Drunken co-workers slapping women for no reason? Really? But they had to pressure her to file a formal complaint? Let's just say I'm skeptical of her claims.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:28 am

Maybe Google will be now sued to death by hordes of disgruntled employees of both sexes and all genders. :)

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:31 am

We need a movement like #metoo.

How about #IBEENGOOGLED
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:32 am

That would be cool. To make the verb for a general sexual abuse "Google".

If you been googled, you been abused.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am

Exclusive: Google employees organize to fight cyber bullying at work
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - About 100 Google U.S. employees concerned about cyber bullying inside the company have organized into a group proposing new policies for conduct at the unit of Alphabet Inc, five people involved in the effort said in recent interviews.

Three current employees and two others helping to organize the group said it formed last fall. They said that among its proposals, which have not previously been reported in detail, are that Google should tighten rules of conduct for internal forums and hire staff to enforce them.
The group also desires greater protection for employees targeted by what it views as insincere complaints to human resources used as a bullying tactic and goading.
The split among Google employees reflects growing polarization across the United States since President Donald Trump was elected. Other companies and industries have also been hit by corporate scandals involving diversity and harassment.

Google counts on open dialogue to strengthen products and morale, and prides itself on fostering an environment in which subordinates can challenge managers. Debates about politics and science flow freely on its private, online discussion boards.
Yea, just ask James Damore!
Before he was fired, Damore filed a complaint with the National Labor Relations Board on the grounds that Google had violated his right to engage in the protected concerted activity of challenging Google’s diversity policies with his memo. Specifically, Damore charged that Google was “misrepresenting and shaming me in order to silence my complaints.”
https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/nlrb- ... ity-70728/
:doglaugh:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Parent groups say YouTube defies underage data-collection laws (Yahoo)
The Federal Trade Commission has been asked to, once again, investigate Google's practices around its YouTube Kids platform. A group of child-safety organizations accuse the search giant of violating child protection laws by collecting data, and using that data to advertise, to kids under 13.

The Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood says that the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act offers strict rules on data-collection for kids. Companies that run websites directed at children need to inform parents what information they plan to gather, and get permission to do so.

But YouTube is accused of avoiding this responsibility simply by saying that YouTube kids is only to be used by those over 13. The CCFC says that Google knows that YouTube is the most recognizable brand among kids aged between six and 12.

ed

Post by ed » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:45 am

Could be in the Schengenfruenendereorty thread or here. Since both threads are Ed inc. properties it is my decision and I opt for here.
Hundreds of Google employees, upset at the company’s decision to secretly build a censored version of its search engine for China, have signed a letter demanding more transparency to understand the ethical consequences of their work.

In the letter, which was obtained by The New York Times, employees wrote that the project and Google’s apparent willingness to abide by China’s censorship requirements “raise urgent moral and ethical issues.” They added, “Currently we do not have the information required to make ethically-informed decisions about our work, our projects, and our employment.”

The letter is circulating on Google’s internal communication systems and is signed by about 1,400 employees, according to three people familiar with the document, who were not authorized to speak publicly.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/16/tech ... v=top-news

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:43 pm

As noted elsewhere around here, it must be a parameterized censored search engine.

So that while China may be footing the bill, it will also be useful for implementing any in-house censorship that may be desired.

Or once in place in China, to be pitched to the EU, some future US administration, etc.