Rexit?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Rexit?

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:01 am

Tillerson switcheroo may happen sooner than expected

Seems he may be on thin ice. And he probably doesn't give a damn either because he's rich.

Which makes the following thought occur to me: one of the possible downsides for a president of filling your cabinet with rich people is that they probably aren't afraid of getting fired. Tillerson doesn't seem very concerned about "toeing the party line". Neither does Gary Cohn for that matter, and why should he? He's rich. Both these guys could make a lot more money and have easier lives in the private sector.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Rexit?

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:05 am

Trump must think Ivanka is ready for the job.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:17 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Tillerson switcheroo may happen sooner than expected

Seems he may be on thin ice. And he probably doesn't give a damn either because he's rich.

Which makes the following thought occur to me: one of the possible downsides for a president of filling your cabinet with rich people is that they probably aren't afraid of getting fired. Tillerson doesn't seem very concerned about "toeing the party line". Neither does Gary Cohn for that matter, and why should he? He's rich. Both these guys could make a lot more money and have easier lives in the private sector.

Who was the last non-rich secretary of state?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:20 pm

Grammatron wrote:

For that matter, who was the last non-rich person to have ANY cabinet level position?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

For that matter, who was the last non-rich person to have ANY cabinet level position?

:notsure: Well mebee on aggregate they are richer than before?

On the high end, the Boston Globe, NBC News and CBS News put their estimates at $13 billion to $14 billion. But that includes $5 billion attributed to Todd Ricketts, Trump’s pick for deputy commerce secretary, which is not a Cabinet or Cabinet-rank position, and $5 billion for Trump’s choice for education secretary, Betsy DeVos, a number that has its own problems.

On the low end of the estimates is $6 billion, from Bloomberg.

Bloomberg doesn’t count Ricketts. And it estimates DeVos’ net worth as only $130 million, not $5 billion. Both Bloomberg and Forbes point out that the $5 billion is the estimated worth of Richard DeVos, Betsy’s father-in-law and the co-founder of Amway, not Betsy DeVos’ wealth.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:39 pm

Look, all I'm saying is that Rex Tillerson was the CEO of Exxon-Fucking Mobil, while Gary Cohn was the CEO of Goldman-Fucking Sachs.

Are you saying these are not rich people???
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:45 pm

No, I am saying they are all rich people and always have been. So having a rich person as SoS is as unremarkable as a water breathing fish.

Rich people have rich friends. Presidents are always rich people and cabinet posts are what they give to their rich friends

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:No, I am saying they are all rich people and always have been. So having a rich person as SoS is as unremarkable as a water breathing fish.

Rich people have rich friends. Presidents are always rich people and cabinet posts are what they give to their rich friends

Granted. I was just positing the theory that if you had that much money, would you worry about being fired?
William Shakespeare

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Definitely they didn't NEED the job to begin with. I doubt there has ever been a government official on that level (or even NEAR that level) that lived paycheck to paycheck

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:52 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:No, I am saying they are all rich people and always have been. So having a rich person as SoS is as unremarkable as a water breathing fish.

Granted. I was just positing the theory that if you had that much money, would you worry about being fired?

These jobs seem like legacy-boner jobs so it's not so much that I feel they are worried about being fired, but people who hold those positions desire lasting impact and adoration.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:54 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

These jobs seem like legacy-boner jobs so it's not so much that I feel they are worried about being fired, but people who hold those positions desire lasting impact and adoration.

Yep. It's a prestige thing, like gold fittings on their yachts. Not that they need the money.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:56 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Definitely they didn't NEED the job to begin with. I doubt there has ever been a government official on that level (or even NEAR that level) that lived paycheck to paycheck

Hillary was "dead broke" :De_Bunk:
William Shakespeare

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:00 pm

Tillerson: "I don't believe anyone doubts the American people's values or the commitment of the American government or the government's agencies to advancing those values and defending those values."

Wallace: "And the president's values?"

Tillerson: "The president speaks for himself, Chris."

Wallace: "Are you separating yourself from that, sir?"

Tillerson: "I've made my own comments as to our values as well in a speech I gave to the State Department this past week."

So his comments embody 'our' values, eh?

What a dick!
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:04 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:Definitely they didn't NEED the job to begin with. I doubt there has ever been a government official on that level (or even NEAR that level) that lived paycheck to paycheck

I am pretty sure "Dead Broke" to someone like her means having to choose whether to buy a vacation home in The Hamptons or in Aspen, but not being able to afford both, rather than surviving on hot dogs and Top Ramen and hoping the landlord doesn't cash the rent check until payday like it means for everyone else.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:15 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:

I am pretty sure "Dead Broke" to someone like her means having to choose whether to buy a vacation home in The Hamptons or in Aspen, but not being able to afford both, rather than surviving on hot dogs and Top Ramen and hoping the landlord doesn't cash the rent check until payday like it means for everyone else.

I'll take Top Ramen over Bottom Ramen any day though!!
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:39 pm

You would take the top since you are the bottom.

Or so I have been informed. . . .

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:36 am

Trump’s Insubordination Problem By RICH LOWRY

The president is experiencing a bout of insubordination from his top officials the likes of which we haven't witnessed in the modern era. It's not unusual to have powerful officials at war among themselves, or in the presidential doghouse. It's downright bizarre to have them publicly undercut the president, without fear of consequence.
. . .

Tillerson, in particular, should have been told before he was off the set of Fox News on Sunday that he was only going to be allowed to return to the seventh floor of the State Department to clean out his desk.

The fact that this hasn't happened is an advertisement of Trump’s precarious standing, broadcast by officials he himself selected for positions of significant power and prestige. A more typical scenario is that a president loses credibility in a foreign crisis when an adversary defies him, or in a domestic political confrontation when the opposition deals him a stinging defeat. Not at the hands of his own team.

This isn't the work of the deep state, career bureaucrats maneuvering or leaking from somewhere deep within the agencies. This is the shallow state, the very top layer of the government, operating in broad daylight, in fact wanting to be seen and heard differentiating themselves from the president of the United States.

Trump, of course, largely brought this on himself. He is reaping the rewards of his foolish public spat with Jeff Sessions and of his woeful Charlottesville remarks.

By publicly humiliating his own attorney general, Trump seemed to want to make him quit. When Sessions stayed put, Trump didn't take the next logical step of firing him because he didn't want to deal with the fallout. In the implicit showdown, Sessions had won. Not only had Trump shown he was all bark and no bite, he had demonstrated his lack of loyalty to those working for him.

So why should those working for him fear him or be loyal to him? With his loss of moral legitimacy post-Charlottesville, the president is more dependent on the people around him than they are on him. Trump’s debilitated state has a late-Nixon feel—when he is only seven months in.

Globalist Gary, as his Trumpist enemies style him, is invested with considerable market power, more than any political official besides the president himself. Tillerson is eminently replaceable, but his immediate sacking would be too destabilizing at a fragile moment. If Mattis were to leave, it would cause a freak-out on Capitol Hill and around the world. Never has a president had so many un-fireable subordinates.

I don't agree with everything here. In particular, I don't think anything Mattis has said is "insubordination"; that's just spin from the people who want to portray it that way. Mattis even said if I say six and the president says half-a-dozen, they will try to spin that as a disagreement. Tillerson on the other hand publicly dissed the president, and I agree that Trump lost his silly war with Sessions.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:49 am

Was Truman wealthy?
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Sep 01, 2017 4:53 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I don't agree with everything here. In particular, I don't think anything Mattis has said is "insubordination"; that's just spin from the people who want to portray it that way. Mattis even said if I say six and the president says half-a-dozen, they will try to spin that as a disagreement. Tillerson on the other hand publicly dissed the president, and I agree that Trump lost his silly war with Sessions.

Personally, I view the comments Trump makes on Twitter and official actions and statements as not mutually exclusive; Trump can hold his own opinion and an official one. I just don't understand why he chooses to make his personal opinions public.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:02 am

The White House Press Secretary has said that tweets by the president are "official statements", whatever that means.

But clearly they aren't the same thing as an executive order signed by the president.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/06/06/polit ... index.html

Fwiw.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”