Equifax Hack

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Equifax Hack

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:45 pm

gnome wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 pm
Yes, surely their diversity policy was their weakness here. Get rid of those and this will never happen.
I know you're being sarcastic, but some months back I saw that very hypothesis seriously advanced over by Free Republic.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:48 am

gnome wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 pm
Yes, surely their diversity policy was their weakness here. Get rid of those and this will never happen.
Hiring a female Music Major who seems to have had no education or experience in IT to be their "Chief Security Officer," sure sounds like a diversity hire to me....YMMV.
Watchdogs are referring to the debacle as "corporate malfeasance," noting that it is "the worst breach in history."
Then Skank Of America could start in...

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 am

It seems like exactly as much as we have evidence for: that someone not especially qualified was hired.

If you have some special inside information that lets you know the reason for that, please share. Though, maybe it's a no brainer. The only reason any unqualified person ever gets a high position is diversity seeking, of course.

"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:27 pm

gnome wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:34 am
It seems like exactly as much as we have evidence for: that someone not especially qualified was hired.

If you have some special inside information that lets you know the reason for that, please share. Though, maybe it's a no brainer. The only reason any unqualified person ever gets a high position is diversity seeking, of course.
I have nothing definitive gnome (BTW, who was the dude in the picture?).

Maybe it is just a case of a company hiring an (apparently) unqualified person for the job...
...who just happens to be a female with apparently no higher education in computer science or IT.

FEMALE EXECUTIVE WITH MUSIC DEGREE OVERSEES LARGEST COMPUTER HACK IN WORLD HISTORY
With firms desperate to hire women in senior IT and other STEM roles under threat of financial sanctions from governments, it is possible that Susan Mauldin got her current job because of her gender. She has a bachelor’s degree in music composition and a master’s degree in music composition, a major that seems to have had no relevance whatsoever to protecting the details of the affected 143 million people.
Whilst no one is suggesting Susan Mauldin has any criminal responsibility, nor that any hacking attempt is preventable, Equifax seriously needed a properly trained and relevantly educated professional to command its IT security operations.
I believe that particular hacking attempt would have been defeated had a patch (for a known vulnerability - two months previously) been installed when it came out.
If someone flying a plane without a pilot’s license crashes an aircraft, no one questions who is responsible–the unqualified flier and the company that hired them. Whilst there may not be strict legal demands that a Chief Information Security Officer have a typical academic background, someone without such a pedigree needs to share a large proportion of the blame when a corporation like Equifax finds its IT security systems utterly eviscerated.

But for what does something like this matter, if companies insist on hiring women in STEM fields at all costs?
So, as I have said, I have nothing definitive to offer you gnome.
But it sure stinks on the surface IMHO, YMMV.

Meanwhile: Equifax faces £500,000 fine in the UK over massive data breach
UK officials have slapped Equifax with a £500,000 (US$660,000) fine for failing to protect up to 15 million citizens' personal data. The Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) has announced its verdict after almost a year-long investigation with the Financial Conduct Authority.
While £500,000 is chump change for a company like Equifax despite all its financial setbacks since the breach came to light, that's the largest fine authorities can issue, seeing the event happened before GDPR was implemented.

gnome

Post by gnome » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:34 pm

That fella is Michael D. Brown, the horse show guy that thought he could run FEMA.

What diversity policy hired him?

You are presenting me with lots of evidence she was unqualified. So far none as to why she was hired.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:27 pm

An ooooooold post, but I found it interesting for comparison purposes. This was regarding TSA Attorney Carla Martin who apparently did a botch up of the Moussaoui case. Notice no rush to assume the person was a "diversity hire" because she is female, and the reference to Brown.
Skeeve wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm
Hrm...
It really makes me wonder where this person came from, how they managed to bubble-sort their way up the .... (put your favorite here)
system to where they are now. Was this a career incompetant, or was this (like "Your doin a hello of a job Brownie") an appointed or politically-advanced incompetant...

Some may say, "Oh, comeon Skeeve, we have ALLWAYS had incompetant idiots in public service".
OK granted thats probably true.
Is it just me, or does any one else sense that there have been alot more of them in recent years?

Given the present political situation (Yea I mean Bush CO.), I wouldnt be suprised if that were the case.

Whats your opinion?
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:18 pm

gnome wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:27 pm
An ooooooold post, but I found it interesting for comparison purposes. This was regarding TSA Attorney Carla Martin who apparently did a botch up of the Moussaoui case. Notice no rush to assume the person was a "diversity hire" because she is female, and the reference to Brown.
Skeeve wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:58 pm
Hrm...
It really makes me wonder where this person came from, how they managed to bubble-sort their way up the .... (put your favorite here)
system to where they are now. Was this a career incompetant, or was this (like "Your doin a hello of a job Brownie") an appointed or politically-advanced incompetant...

Some may say, "Oh, comeon Skeeve, we have ALLWAYS had incompetant idiots in public service".
OK granted thats probably true.
Is it just me, or does any one else sense that there have been alot more of them in recent years?

Given the present political situation (Yea I mean Bush CO.), I wouldnt be suprised if that were the case.

Whats your opinion?
Wow, gnome. Going all the way back to the decade of dubya...

It is worth pointing out that Carla had a law degree which (I suppose) helped her get a government job.
Carla Martin earned her law degree from American University Washington College in 1989.
Link: http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/16/carla.martin

However, as I showed evidences of earlier, Susan seemed to have little to no background in computer science or IT.
With firms desperate to hire women in senior IT and other STEM roles under threat of financial sanctions from governments, it is possible that Susan Mauldin got her current job because of her gender. She has a bachelor’s degree in music composition and a master’s degree in music composition, a major that seems to have had no relevance whatsoever to protecting the details of the affected 143 million people.
Link: http://www.returnofkings.com/130013/fem ... ld-history

So as I have said already "...I have nothing definitive to offer you gnome." But it sure looks that way.

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:20 pm

Ok so if they're incompetent it could be for any reason, but if they're REALLY incompetent it's sure looks like a diversity hire.
--Soldier, TF2

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 pm

:sigh:

Can we agree to disagree on this?

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:55 pm

Sure. Till the next time you argue it I guess.
--Soldier, TF2