Massacre in Las Vegas

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Mentat

Re: Massacre in Las Vegas

Post by Mentat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:36 pm

The US is one of the safest places to live in the world as long as you avoid the inner cities, outer cities, wild untamed reserves, rural bumpkin land, and suburban sprawl.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 pm

Mentat wrote:, rural bumpkin land.
:x :x :x :x :x
- new minimalist ethos -

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:54 pm

asthmatic camel wrote:. . . the cold, hard numbers are on my side.
Some are and some aren't.

However, some things are more important than the numbers. Such as civil liberties.

As always, Your Mileage May VaryTM. :wink:

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:48 pm

Numbers:

Murder
USA 5.0/100,000
England and Wales 1.1/100,000
Scotland 1.6/100,000

Assault (defined as "resulted in serious bodily injury")
USA 262/100,000
England and Wales 730/100,000
Scotland 1,487/100,000

So for every extra murder in the USA we have 120 fewer serious assaults compared to England and Wales, and 360 fewer serious assaults as compared to Scotland.

Which place is more dangerous really?
Last edited by WildCat on Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 am

But the numbers were not really on your side, were they, as others have shown?

You are again comparing two different countries of vastly different sizes, cultures, and make-up. Now, you can certainly turn that around against an argument that the UK should have similar gun laws and rights as the US.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:36 pm

Soros Fund Management LLC's bought puts on MGM per 13F filing
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3593576/posts

Synopsis: Allegedly Soros shorted MGM big time just before the massacre.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:38 pm

If George Soros was in on it, the NRA and the "gun lobby" should send him a thank-you note. It's good for business.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:50 pm

gnome wrote:If George Soros was in on it, the NRA and the "gun lobby" should send him a thank-you note. It's good for business.
MGM was losing money anyway. :BigGrin3:
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Soros Fund Management LLC's bought puts on MGM per 13F filing
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3593576/posts

Synopsis: Allegedly Soros shorted MGM big time just before the massacre.
Assuming all that information is correct, I wouldn't call that position "big time" for them. Hardly the biggest bet they made in whatever time period that covers. And there seem to be dozens of other trades they made, many of them for much larger sums of money.

Soros is a bogeyman to the psychocons, just as the Koch brothers are bogeymen to the loony left.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 pm

It does raise the question as to the Hotel's legal culpability here. Ordinarily I'd assign them none but other sources say that because the guy was a 'high roller' he was allowed to use alternate entrances and elevators that bypassed the hotel's security.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:38 pm

Rob Lister wrote:It does raise the question as to the Hotel's legal culpability here. Ordinarily I'd assign them none but other sources say that because the guy was a 'high roller' he was allowed to use alternate entrances and elevators that bypassed the hotel's security.
It's not like hotels have random searches of luggage. Las Vegas is a convention town and people bring in all kinds of equipment, nothing would stand out.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:It does raise the question as to the Hotel's legal culpability here. Ordinarily I'd assign them none but other sources say that because the guy was a 'high roller' he was allowed to use alternate entrances and elevators that bypassed the hotel's security.
It's not like hotels have random searches of luggage. Las Vegas is a convention town and people bring in all kinds of equipment, nothing would stand out.
Is that an opinion I smell there? They do have security according to accounts I've read.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:58 pm

Whether security procedures are adequate is one question.
Whether they were followed is another.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:00 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Is that an opinion I smell there? They do have security according to accounts I've read.
Sure they have security and I doubt that security would let a guy walk around with several AR-15's slung over his shoulder. But if everything's in a bag, what exactly will that security do? I've been to a few industry conventions and we brought tons of stuff in boxes and bags into rooms and suites. No one ever asked to take a look inside.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Rob Lister

Post by Rob Lister » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:03 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Sure they have security and I doubt that security would let a guy walk around with several AR-15's slung over his shoulder. But if everything's in a bag, what exactly will that security do? I've been to a few industry conventions and we brought tons of stuff in boxes and bags into rooms and suites. No one ever asked to take a look inside.
Dude! I don't fucking know. I'm just sayin' there's legal gossip here and we should harp on it. I don't think that's asking too much.

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:41 pm

You can get special treatment from TSA too. I suspect that it might provide an opening for an evilly minded person.
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:40 am

Since other explanations seem to be lacking, an article in Politico speculates that he did it simply for the notoriety.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/ ... -it-215699
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:10 pm

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Modulo her usual bullshit :D , the one point that I think she has right is the money laundering. That one sticks out because it doesn't really require supposing (without evidence) the existence of an accomplice or other shooter.

I figure the other questions may have multiple possible answers. For example, if the only reason someone would have gloves would be because someone planted the gloves on them, why would that fool anyone in the first place?

I'm not at all convinced he was certain the day would end in his death, even if he considered it an acceptable possibility. Also, a few seconds of googling suggests that wearing gloves when practice shooting is a thing for some people, and it just may have been his habit.

The rest of her comments is a really convoluted attempt to suggest that a more stereotypical terrorist was actually behind it all along.
This reminds me of the various conspiracy theories suggesting that Islamic terrorists were involved in the Oklahoma City bombing.
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:57 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Ann Coulter rips the lid off ...

http://www.vdare.com/articles/ann-coult ... ming-apart
"Why was Paddock wearing gloves if he was about to commit suicide?"

Because a rifle gets really, really fucking hot when you fire it a lot. Even hotter when you bump fire it. In 30 seconds even the handguard will be too hot to touch.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj