So, Harvey Weinstein is a sexual harasser

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: So, Harvey Weinstein is a sexual harasser

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:29 pm

What? Lupita Nyong'o is white?
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:22 pm

Pyrrho wrote:What? Lupita Nyong'o is white?
She's a Mexican. :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:08 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:24 am

I must admit I myself am a bit skeptical of the claims about Moore.

It's not as obviously false as some of the other political smears going around, but the degree to which I want it to be true makes me cautious.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:36 am

Oh I'm sure he'll be elected Senator, and then he can run for President.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:12 am

Pyrrho wrote:Oh I'm sure he'll be elected Senator, and then he can run for President.
Note to potential 'victims:' Save the stained garment, 'cause ya never know....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:35 am

Pyrrho wrote:Oh I'm sure he'll be elected Senator, and then he can run for President.
Maybe Trump's second term vice president, first? :)

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:33 am

Pyrrho wrote:Oh I'm sure he'll be elected Senator, . . .
The Senate Majority Leader and other leading Republicans have basically hinted that he will not be allowed to sit. I would not expect any Democrats to oppose that. That is a dicey legal issue. I believe that Senate Republicans initially refused to seat Southern Democrats after the Civil War until "this and that" happens. Moving ahead, Adam Clayton Powell famously won a Supreme Court case that forced the House to seat him as explained in this article on the possibility the Dem-led Senate would refuse to seat a Blagoyavichwhatever appointee. However, the Senate can expel a senator with a two-thirds vote. They could do that in this case.

Sort of like how the House unanimously kicked out James "Beam Me Up Mr. Speaker" Traficante. Sometimes there is just too much shit for pigs to tolerate.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:17 pm

Doctor X wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Oh I'm sure he'll be elected Senator, . . .
The Senate Majority Leader and other leading Republicans have basically hinted that he will not be allowed to sit. I would not expect any Democrats to oppose that. That is a dicey legal issue. I believe that Senate Republicans initially refused to seat Southern Democrats after the Civil War until "this and that" happens. Moving ahead, Adam Clayton Powell famously won a Supreme Court case that forced the House to seat him as explained in this article on the possibility the Dem-led Senate would refuse to seat a Blagoyavichwhatever appointee. However, the Senate can expel a senator with a two-thirds vote. They could do that in this case.

Sort of like how the House unanimously kicked out James "Beam Me Up Mr. Speaker" Traficante. Sometimes there is just too much shit for pigs to tolerate.

--J.D.
Looks like now they're doing more than just hinting:

Senate GOP campaign chair: Moore should be expelled if elected
The statement from Sen. Cory Gardner came after Mitch McConnell said he believed Moore's accusers.

Senate Republicans escalated their calls for embattled Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore to leave the race — with Majority Leader Mitch McConnell saying he believes the women who have accused Moore of sexual misconduct and the chair of the GOP’s campaign arm endorsing an effort to expel Moore should he be elected next month.

“I believe the individuals speaking out against Roy Moore spoke with courage and truth, proving he is unfit to serve in the United States Senate and he should not run for office,” said Sen. Cory Gardner of Colorado, the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. “If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate."

Speaking to reporters earlier Monday in Louisville, McConnell ramped up his own pressure against Moore by going further than his initial statement on the matter. After the Washington Post reported last week that four women said Moore pursued them as teenagers when he was in his 30s, McConnell said that Moore should leave the race if the allegations were true.

“I think he should step aside,” McConnell said Monday, adding: “I believe the women, yes."

Several other Senate Republicans have since called on Moore to get out of the Dec. 12 election, including Sens. Steve Daines of Montana, Mike Lee of Utah and Bill Cassidy of Louisiana. On Monday, Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) said he sides with McConnell and that Sen. Luther Strange (R-Ala.), the appointed senator who currently holds the seat, would be "an excellent alternative."

Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) also announced he was withdrawing his endorsement of Moore, adding that the best course of action is "to leave the final judgment in the hands of Alabama voters."
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Funny, in an attempt to make this "controversial," some Talking Heads have tried to raise the "But What Will the Dems Do?" question.

Really, a Dem is not going to go on the record voting to retain a molester, at least not since since Clinton left the Senate. . . .

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:59 pm

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:14 pm

The shock!!!
- new minimalist ethos -

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:17 pm

Travolta giving the secret "Anus Sign" at a Hollywood event.

- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:29 pm

I think I've heard this accusation about Travolta before. It's just being trotted out again because #MeToo.

I think I read something else about a week ago involving Scientology. Maybe I can find it again.
After one of the alleged victims filed a police report in 2004, “the Church of Scientology intervened and submitted over 50 affidavits from Scientologists who denied the woman’s account,” reports HuffPost.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 1eaa03bbae
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:38 pm

Never heard this particular story before, but there were rumors about Travolta being gay going back to Welcome Back Kotter.

Scientology is seriously anti-gay and accordingly has quack cures for it.

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:50 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I think I've heard this accusation about Travolta before. It's just being trotted out again because #MeToo.

I think I read something else about a week ago involving Scientology. Maybe I can find it again.
After one of the alleged victims filed a police report in 2004, “the Church of Scientology intervened and submitted over 50 affidavits from Scientologists who denied the woman’s account,” reports HuffPost.
I've read enough about Scientology that getting 50 such affidavits would have been quite possible even if all 50 had been in the room while it happened.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:12 pm

Supressive people!

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:03 am

gnome wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I think I've heard this accusation about Travolta before. It's just being trotted out again because #MeToo.

I've read enough about Scientology that getting 50 such affidavits would have been quite possible even if all 50 had been in the room while it happened.
Yeah, to me it totally reeked of the Church of Scientology protecting one of their own.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:17 am

Meanwhile, look whose sexual assault/rape allegations are back in the (left-leaning) news:

The rape allegation against Bill Clinton, explained
America’s ongoing national reckoning with sexual assault and sexual harassment by powerful men now has liberals and Democrats reconsidering the legacy of one of party’s most important figures of the past quarter-century: President Bill Clinton.

Clinton has faced multiple allegations of sexual assault and harassment, most famously his affair with Monica Lewinsky — which, while consensual in some sense, was nonetheless textbook sexual harassment of a subordinate of a kind that would (or perhaps more accurately, should) get many CEOs fired from their companies.

But it’s not just Lewinsky. Jones, a former Arkansas state employee, sued Clinton during his presidency for allegedly exposing himself to her when he was governor in 1991. Kathleen Willey claims that Clinton fondled her breast and forced her hand on his crotch in the Oval Office in 1993, when she was a White House volunteer.

Most seriously of all, Juanita Broaddrick claims that Clinton raped her during his 1978 campaign for Arkansas governor.

The issue of Clinton’s sexual misconduct came up repeatedly during Hillary Clinton’s presidential run. But Bill himself was not on the ballot, and many were understandably hesitant to make the candidate answer for her husband’s offenses.
Although she was a staunch defender of her husband against those same allegations.
Now, in the wake of revelations about Harvey Weinstein, Kevin Spacey, James Toback, Louis CK, and many, many more, Bill Clinton’s record is being reassessed as well. "The women involved had far more credible evidence than many of the most notorious accusations that have come to light in the past five weeks," Caitlin Flanagan writes in the Atlantic. Chris Hayes at MSNBC tweeted, "As gross and cynical and hypocritical as the right's ‘what about Bill Clinton’ stuff is, it's also true that Democrats and the center left are overdue for a real reckoning with the allegations against him."

Michelle Goldberg at the New York Times titled a column simply, "I Believe Juanita."

And indeed, the Juanita Broaddrick case is the hardest one for admirers of Bill Clinton. Her allegation has never been definitively refuted. Only she and Bill Clinton know what the truth of the matter in the case is. But if one generally believes it's important to believe the victim, it's hard to argue that this case should be an exception.
I Believe Juanita
Michelle Goldberg NOV. 13, 2017

On Friday evening the MSNBC host Chris Hayes sent out a tweet that electrified online conservatives: “As gross and cynical and hypocritical as the right’s ‘what about Bill Clinton’ stuff is, it’s also true that Democrats and the center left are overdue for a real reckoning with the allegations against him.” Hayes’s tweet inspired stories on Glenn Beck’s The Blaze, Breitbart and The Daily Caller, all apparently eager to use the Clinton scandals to derail discussions about Roy Moore, the Republican nominee for the United States Senate in Alabama who is accused of sexually assaulting minors.

Yet despite the right’s evident bad faith, I agree with Hayes. In this #MeToo moment, when we’re reassessing decades of male misbehavior and turning open secrets into exposes, we should look clearly at the credible evidence that Juanita Broaddrick told the truth when she accused Clinton of raping her. But revisiting the Clinton scandals in light of today’s politics is complicated as well as painful. Democrats are guilty of apologizing for Clinton when they shouldn’t have. At the same time, looking back at the smear campaign against the Clintons shows we can’t treat the feminist injunction to “believe women” as absolute.

Writing at Crooked.com, Brian Beutler warns that in future elections, right-wing propaganda will exploit the progressive commitment to always taking sexual abuse charges seriously. It’s easy to imagine an outlet like Breitbart leveraging the “believe women” rallying cry to force mainstream media coverage of dubious accusations.

The Clinton years, in which epistemological warfare emerged as a key part of the Republican political arsenal, show us why we should be wary of allegations that bubble up from the right-wing press. At the time, the reactionary billionaire Richard Mellon Scaife was bankrolling the Arkansas Project, which David Brock, the former right-wing journalist who played a major role in it, described as a “multimillion-dollar dirty tricks operation against the Clintons.” Various figures in conservative media accused Bill Clinton of murder, drug-running and using state troopers as pimps. Brock alleges that right-wing figures funneled money to some of Clinton’s accusers.

In this environment, it would have been absurd to take accusations of assault and harassment made against Clinton at face value. On Monday, Caitlin Flanagan, perhaps taking up Hayes’s challenge, urged liberals to remember some of what Clinton is said to have done. “Kathleen Willey said that she met him in the Oval Office for personal and professional advice and that he groped her, rubbed his erect penis on her, and pushed her hand to his crotch,” Flanagan wrote, recalling the charges Willey first made in 1998. It sounds both familiar and plausible. But Willey also accused the Clintons of having her husband and then her cat killed. Must we believe that, too?

Similarly, there are reasons to be at least unsure about Paula Jones’s claim that Clinton exposed himself to her and demanded oral sex. Jones was championed by people engaged in what Ann Coulter once proudly called “a small, intricately knit right-wing conspiracy” to bring down the president. She described “distinguishing characteristics” of Clinton’s penis that turned out to be inaccurate. Her sister insisted to Sidney Blumenthal, then a New Yorker writer, that she was lying. Should feminists have backed her anyway? I’m still not sure, but the evidence was less definitive than that against Harvey Weinstein, Trump or Moore.

Of the Clinton accusers, the one who haunts me is Broaddrick. The story she tells about Clinton recalls those we’ve heard about Weinstein. She claimed they had plans to meet in a hotel coffee shop, but at the last minute he asked to come up to her hotel room instead, where he raped her. Five witnesses said she confided in them about the assault right after it happened. It’s true that she denied the rape in an affidavit to Paula Jones’s lawyers, before changing her story when talking to federal investigators. But her explanation, that she didn’t want to go public but couldn’t lie to the F.B.I., makes sense. Put simply, I believe her.

What to do with that belief? Contemplating this history is excruciating in part because of the way it has been weaponized against Hillary Clinton. Broaddrick sees her as complicit, interpreting something Hillary once said to her at a political event — “I want you to know that we appreciate everything you do for Bill” — as a veiled threat instead of a rote greeting. This seems wildly unlikely; Broaddrick was decades away from going public, and most reporting about the Clinton marriage shows Bill going to great lengths to hide his betrayals. Nevertheless, one of the sick ironies of the 2016 campaign was that it was Hillary who had to pay the political price for Bill’s misdeeds, as they were trotted out to deflect attention from Trump’s well-documented transgressions.

And now they’re being trotted out again. It’s fair to conclude that because of Broaddrick’s allegations, Bill Clinton no longer has a place in decent society. But we should remember that it’s not simply partisan tribalism that led liberals to doubt her. Discerning what might be true in a blizzard of lies isn’t easy, and the people who spread those lies don’t get to claim the moral high ground. We should err on the side of believing women, but sometimes, that belief will be used against us.
:notsure:
William Shakespeare