So, Harvey Weinstein is a sexual harasser

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: So, Harvey Weinstein is a sexual harasser

Postby Doctor X » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:40 am

That case sort of justified the "liberal bias"--the media always had a more liberal lean against what seemed like decades of quasi-conservatism. Johnson would not be seen as a "liberal" today, methinks.

The refusal to investigate, the excuses made, the attempts to support him drove even the ultra-liberal Chrisopher Hitchens mad. I find it hilarious that a newsmedia that defended Clinton admits that, now, he woud have been fired for his treatment of Monica. That was something only the "conservative" media said. Meanwhile, where was Gloria Alred during all of that? Or anyone who now condemns Trump for his "pussy grab" remark?

But.

We know have "conservative media" who do the same damn thing.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:36 pm

'Girls' Writer Murray Miller Accused of Sexually Assaulting Actress Aurora Perrineau

Interesting thing here is that Lena Dunham has basically come out in defense of this guy and accused the actress of making it up. It will be interesting how this plays out. I'm not going to prejudge it.

Los Angeles police are investigating.
Girls writer Murray Miller has been accused of sexual assault by actress Aurora Perrineau, who filed a report on the alleged incident, Sgt. Salvador Rios of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department confirmed to The Hollywood Reporter.

While the actress filed the report at the West Hollywood station, Los Angeles police will handle the investigation, Rios said.

Perrineau has appeared in Passengers, the Jennifer Lawrence and Chris Pratt starrer.

Miller has also worked on King of the Hill and American Dad! No additional information was released. The writer, through his attorneys, denied the allegation.

"Mr. Miller categorically and vehemently denies Ms. Perrineau’s outrageous claims," attorney Don Walerstein said in a statement. "After being contacted several weeks ago by lawyers who — on Ms. Perrineau’s behalf — sought substantial monetary damages from him, Mr. Miller’s legal team gathered overwhelming evidence directly contradicting these false and offensive claims."

The statement added: "Only after her demands for money were rebuffed did Ms. Perrineau go to the police. Mr. Miller looks forward to sharing all evidence and information with any and all authorities seeking the truth in this matter."

Girls co-showrunners Lena Dunham and Jenni Konner sent a statement to THR late Friday, defending Miller:

"During the windfall of deeply necessary accusations over the last few months in Hollywood, we have been thrilled to see so many women’s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified. It’s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate. But during every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets. We believe, having worked closely with him for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller. While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3 percent of assault cases that are misreported every year. It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed. We stand by Murray and this is all we’ll be saying about this issue."

So they've straight up called her a liar. We'll see what the police find.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:41 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:45 am

Wait, not the French skunk?
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:11 am

The pussy wanted the French kiss.

Qua?

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:'Girls' Writer Murray Miller Accused of Sexually Assaulting Actress Aurora Perrineau

Interesting thing here is that Lena Dunham has basically come out in defense of this guy and accused the actress of making it up. It will be interesting how this plays out. I'm not going to prejudge it.

Lena now apologizes for taking Miller's side
On Saturday, she released an apology on Twitter, saying "I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend’s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months. I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement and I am so sorry."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... lt-1059803

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:15 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:'Girls' Writer Murray Miller Accused of Sexually Assaulting Actress Aurora Perrineau

On Saturday, she released an apology on Twitter, saying "I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend’s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months. I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement and I am so sorry."

She didn't just "share her perspective", she straight accused the woman of fabricating it.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if there is actual truth to the allegation or not.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:45 pm

She simply understands the perspective of a sexual molester.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Charlie Rose. Who's next?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:08 pm

They just cancelled the molester's show.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

Awkward times:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... bc28828155

I actually didn't know he was on a morning show these days.

‘I am not okay’: The remarkable response to the Charlie Rose allegations, from his CBS colleagues

Gayle King had slept less than two hours. At times, Norah O’Donnell seemed on the verge of tearing up.

Nevertheless, the “CBS This Morning” anchors were there, seated at the glass table where they had hosted the show almost every weekday morning for the last five years.

A chair for Charlie Rose, their third co-host, was missing.

Rose, of course, was absent from Tuesday’s edition of the show he has been a part of since its inception: CBS News suspended him shortly after The Washington Post published an extensive report detailing alleged unwanted sexual advances toward women by the 75-year-old broadcaster.

And on the morning after the newsman became the newsmaker, the sexual harassment allegations against Rose were the top story on “CBS This Morning.”
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:18 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:

She didn't just "share her perspective", she straight accused the woman of fabricating it.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if there is actual truth to the allegation or not.

Just one article pointing out how this doesn't square with things she's said in the past:

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/11/21/ ... -perrineau

In fact, shortly after the first accusations surfaced against disgraced Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein, she wrote an op-ed for the New York Times in which she discussed a director who had sexually harassed her. In no uncertain terms, Dunham condemned “the response by the powers that be,” which she summarized as: “defend [the harassing director], question the women ferociously and take ages before letting [the director] go from the network” in “a move based less on his skill than on some ancient loyalty.” This, she concluded, was the “kind of behavior that normalizes this abuse of power.”

So Dunham’s defense of Miller looked like the worst kind of hypocrisy. She was apparently willing to publicly state that it’s terrible when people refuse to believe that their friends and colleagues might be capable of hurting women, but if it’s her friend and colleague in question, then everyone should just be cool.

Yes, she really did publish an Op-Ed in the New York Times shortly after the Weinstein revelations condemning exactly the kind of behavior that she now seems to have done herself.

After that though, the article seems to go off on an SJW tangent:

To make matters worse, Perrineau is a woman of color, and Dunham is a powerful, wealthy white feminist using her position to discredit Perrineau’s allegations. In response, writer Zinzi Clemmons declared that she would no longer be writing for Dunham’s email newsletter, Lenny Letter, and encouraged other women of color to do the same. “She cannot have our words if she cannot respect us,” Clemmons wrote, going on to add that she knew Dunham in college and believed her to have a history of racism.

Dunham has since apologized for her statement, but the damage is already done. Her reputation has most likely taken a permanent hit.

And that’s because this controversy is not an isolated incident. Since 2012, when Girls first catapulted Dunham into her current cultural status as a walking think piece topic, she has been plagued by accusations of fake feminism, white feminism, and outright racism. For many, her statement on Perrineau is a last straw of sorts, and Clemmons’s allegations about her past are all too believable.

Here’s an overview of Lena Dunham’s troubled history with feminism and race.

. . .

But who cares? It's just kind of funny to see someone so Holier than Thou "hoist by their own petard" like this. That's all. :twisted:
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:46 pm

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:39 am

gnome wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I think I've heard this accusation about Travolta before. It's just being trotted out again because #MeToo.

I think I read something else about a week ago involving Scientology. Maybe I can find it again.

After one of the alleged victims filed a police report in 2004, “the Church of Scientology intervened and submitted over 50 affidavits from Scientologists who denied the woman’s account,” reports HuffPost.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/ce ... 1eaa03bbae

I've read enough about Scientology that getting 50 such affidavits would have been quite possible even if all 50 had been in the room while it happened.

Movement on this one:

Danny Masterson Written Out of Netflix’s The Ranch Following Rape Allegations

Netflix has announced that actor Danny Masterson is no longer working on The Ranch as of Tuesday. Masterson, who is also known for appearing on That ’70s Show, has been accused of rape and sexual assault by four women and is currently under investigation by the Los Angeles County District Attorney and the LAPD. Masterson has denied the allegations, which he calls “outrageous.”

“As a result of ongoing discussions, Netflix and the producers have written Danny Masterson out of The Ranch,” a Netflix spokesperson said in a statement. “Yesterday was his last day on the show, and production will resume in early 2018 without him.”

Netflix has faced mounting pressure to act on the Masterson allegations over the past several days, especially after taking action against Kevin Spacey and Louis C.K. The news of Masterson’s departure comes shortly after a HuffPost report in which one of his alleged victims approached a Netflix executive on the sidelines of a children’s soccer game in Los Angeles to ask him why Netflix had not taken action against Masterson. According to her account and that of a witness, the executive, who was not aware the woman was one of Masterson’s accusers, told her, “We don’t believe them.”

Netflix confirmed that the executive was Andy Yeatman and called his comments “careless” and “uninformed.”

The fourth installment of The Ranch is set to premiere on Netflix on Dec. 15. “I am obviously very disappointed in Netflix’s decision to write my character off of The Ranch,” Masterson said, according to a statement provided to HuffPost. “From day one, I have denied the outrageous allegations against me. I have never been charged with a crime, let alone convicted of one. In this country, you are presumed innocent until proven guilty. However, in the current climate, it seems as if you are presumed guilty the moment you are accused. I understand and look forward to clearing my name once and for all.”

At least three of the women who have accused Masterson belonged to the Church of Scientology, of which Masterson is a longtime member.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:38 am

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... v=top-news

Big article in the NYT on HW. Pretty disgusting.

Mr. Weinstein, a Democratic fund-raiser, would say during the years Barack Obama was in the White House, adding expletives. “I’m Harvey Weinstein,” he used to say. “You know what I can do.”
Last edited by ed on Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:40 am

Also ... Dustin Hoffman ... I posted that in the correct thread.
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:46 am

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/ros ... d=51845247

Rose McGowan took to Twitter on Saturday to slam a reportedly planned, silent protest by some actresses at the Golden Globes next month.

Some Hollywood women are planning to wear all black to the upcoming 75th annual Golden Globes on Jan. 8 as a way to protest sexual harassment in their industry, People magazine reported.

McGowan, 44, isn't impressed.

"Actresses, like Meryl Streep, who happily worked for The Pig Monster, are wearing black @GoldenGlobes in a silent protest," she wrote, referring to Harvey Weinstein. "YOUR SILENCE is THE problem. You’ll accept a fake award breathlessly & affect no real change. I despise your hypocrisy."

ABC News reached out to Streep for comment, but didn't immediately hear back.

"The Pig Monster", ouch.

Streep says she didn't know. Is she a hypocrite who remained silent for her own benefit, or is it possible that she really didn't know?
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:29 am

Given how long she has been in the industry, whom she has worked with, and her applauding a serial child rapist, I do not believe her, nor do I respect her.

All she is is a great actress. Kevin Spacey is a great actor.

--J.D.

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Since this is sort of about the movie biz...
Ian McKellen Says Actresses Used To Proposition Directors For Sex

McKellen, star of “Lord of the Rings” and “X-Men,” said during a recent appearance at Oxford Union that when he started his career in the early 1960s, some women applied for theater jobs with photographs marked with a special message to the directors.

“The director of the theater I was working at showed me some photographs he got from women who were wanting jobs,” he said. “They were actors. And some of them had ― I think these were the initials ― at the bottom of their photograph ‘DRR’ — directors’ rights respected.

“In other words, ‘If you give me a job, you can have sex with me.’ That was commonplace for people who proposed that they should be a victim. Madness.”

mine
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:27 pm

Sex to boost film career is 'not rape': Harvey Weinstein lawyer

LONDON: Harvey Weinstein's lawyer said on Saturday a woman having sex with a Hollywood producer to advance her career is "not rape", in a British newspaper interview on the eve of the Oscars.

Ben Brafman is one of the US' top criminal defence attorneys, hired by the disgraced Hollywood mogul whose career is in tatters following accusations of sexual harassment, assault and rape.

More than 100 women have accused Weinstein of impropriety going back 40 years, but Brafman argued there was no criminal behaviour.
"If a woman decides that she needs to have sex with a Hollywood producer to advance her career and actually does it and finds the whole thing offensive, that's not rape," he told The Times.

"You made a conscious decision that you're willing to do something that is personally offensive in order to advance your career," he added.
Weinstein, a twice-married father of five, is being investigated by British and US police, but has not been charged with any crime. He denies having non-consensual sex and is reportedly in treatment for sex addiction.

Dozens of Hollywood women, including Ashley Judd, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Beckinsale and Salma Hayek, are among Weinstein's accusers.

Quid Pro Quo...
Looks like Harvey is going to fight back...
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”