Skepticism about "feel-good stories"

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Skepticism about "feel-good stories"

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:35 am

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wo ... e6c04f48f3

I saw headlines about this before, but what do you think?

Makes me think it would be easy to scam people with a good story to pull the ol' heartstrings.

Woman Raises Over $300,000 For Homeless Man Who Gave Her His Last $20

“Truly believe that all Johnny needs is one little break.”

By Sara Boboltz
After her car ran out of gas on a dark New Jersey highway last month, Kate McClure pulled over and tried to walk to the nearest gas station on foot. But a nearby homeless man didn’t let her go far, telling her to climb back in the car and lock the doors while he went instead.

McClure said the man, Johnny, spent his last $20 on a can of gas for her. Now, she’s trying to help him get back on his feet.

While she didn’t have cash to repay him at the time, McClure told The Philadelphia Inquirer that she and her boyfriend returned to Johnny’s spot along the side of the road the next day to return the money. Over the following weeks, she kept stopping by to chat with Johnny and give him a few dollars. Finally she decided to set up a GoFundMe page for him earlier this month.

“I wish that I could do more for this selfless man, who went out of his way just to help me that day,” McClure wrote on the page. “He is such a great guy, and talking to him each time I see him makes me want to help him more and more.”

To date, the campaign has raised over $300,000 ― far surpassing its $10,000 goal. Many of the 10,400 donors chipped in with $10 or $20.

McClure originally intended to use the funds to set Johnny up in his own apartment with some essentials and enough money to last him a few months while he looked for employment.

“He is very interested in finding a job, and I believe that with a place to be able to clean up every night and get a good night’s rest, his life can get back to being normal,” she wrote.

“Truly believe that all Johnny needs is one little break. Hopefully with your help I can be the one to give it to him.”

Before he became homeless, McClure said Johnny served with the Marine Corps and worked as a firefighter and paramedic. She shared some photos of him from an old Facebook page.

As support kept pouring in, McClure briefly suspended the campaign earlier this week on the request of Johnny, who didn’t want to take advantage of the kindness of strangers. She restarted it, however, by popular demand.

Faced with a huge surplus of funding, McClure said Johnny has “more than a few ideas of where this money can go.”

“He is fully aware of the world wide interest in this over the last few days,” she wrote. “It will be his decision and his decision only on what organizations and or private parties he decides to help!!”

Donations can be made on GoFundMe.

So, find a bum, preferably a veteran who's down on his luck. Concoct a good samaritan story. Watch the money roll in (agree in advance to split the proceeds 50/50).
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Re: Skepticism about "feel-good stories"

Postby ed » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:50 am

- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:56 pm

I truly think that all little Doug needs is one little break. Where do I send the check?
William Shakespeare

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:57 pm

Ok, if we must choose...
Such potential!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Hey ed! Is NatLamp truly and completely out of business?

Or are the royalties from Animal House keeping the corporation if not the publication alive after all these years?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:40 pm

Side note:
If you had asked me in 1975 to predict which humor magazines would still be around in 2017, the one I would not have guessed is Cracked. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:26 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Side note:
If you had asked me in 1975 to predict which humor magazines would still be around in 2017, the one I would not have guessed is Cracked. :lmao:

Didn't you mean Image ?

Ironic considering one LAMPOON COVER WAS:

Oh well, he who

:doglaugh:

last...
Then Skank Of America could start in...

gnome

Postby gnome » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:44 pm

Kind of a dark side to these. While it's nice that one person got helped, each charming story may make it easier to disregard the ones that didn't have a plucky benefactor.

Speaking of Cracked,

http://www.cracked.com/blog/inspiration ... thing-but/

Though, it's a problem as old as humanity, I suppose.

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist."
--Hélder Câmara
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Postby ed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:12 am

Anaxagoras wrote:I truly think that all little Doug needs is one little break. Where do I send the check?

you can send checks to me, I have an account at a bank. Poor little doug appreciates all the help. :cry:
- new minimalist ethos -

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:06 am

ed wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I truly think that all little Doug needs is one little break. Where do I send the check?

you can send checks to me, I have an account at a bank. Poor little doug appreciates all the help. :cry:

fuckin cunt scammer
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

ed

Postby ed » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:36 am

shemp wrote:
ed wrote:

fuckin cunt scammer

I'll have you know that a proportion of ALL money received goes to little Doug :x :x :x
- new minimalist ethos -

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:54 am

ed wrote:
shemp wrote:
ed wrote:

fuckin cunt scammer

I'll have you know that a proportion of ALL money received goes to little Doug :x :x :x

You mean "percentage" not "proportion"! You're an illiterate fuckin cunt scammer!
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:23 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3727886

"Lindsay was buried Saturday, the day that was meant to be her wedding day. "
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:07 am

And you septics STILL refuse to accept an Ever Loving God?!

I will . . . start drinking heavily for you.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:45 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bride-battling-breast-cancer-18-hours-dying-article-1.3727886

"Lindsay was buried Saturday, the day that was meant to be her wedding day. "

Hey ladies, there's a new widoweredsingle man that's available! And he's got life insurancemoney!
Such potential!

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:35 am

Merry Christmas Bedford Falls!!
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:37 am

sparks wrote:Merry Christmas Bedford Falls!!

...And a Happy New Year to you too, in Jail!

Yea I know, it turns out to be a happy ending....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMgt3JQDxw
Then Skank Of America could start in...

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:12 pm

Donna Reed? Sure.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”