#MeToo (generic)....

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grammatron

Re: #MeToo (generic)....

Postby Grammatron » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:09 pm

gnome wrote:I'm still a little confused, should every administrative dispute resolution at a university occur in courtrooms?

Who said every? I am strictly talking about sexual assault type allegations, which is also the domain of the '#metoo" movement.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:48 am

gnome wrote:I'm willing to stipulate it goes beyond one-off anecdotes,
if you and AA are willing to stipulate it isn't every single instance.
Fair enough.
Even Kanin's study concluded ~40% false accusation not 100%.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:08 am

I'm willing to stipulate it as long as it is understood that use of the manifestly disingenuous slogan "believe the victim" is not used in those cases.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 am

gnome wrote:I'm still a little confused, should every administrative dispute resolution at a university occur in courtrooms?

Since it can adversely affect a person's future, yes.

Universities are neither above the law nor a law unto themselves.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:

I'm willing to stipulate it as long as it is understood that use of the manifestly disingenuous slogan "believe the victim" is not used in those cases.

Sorry, you're still trying to hold to your claim that every single time someone uses "believe the victim" that it is according to your cynical interpretation of it. I can even admit that you're sometimes right. You can't admit that you're sometimes wrong on this? Literally every time, it's not a more practical interpretation?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:10 pm

What are the ramifications of "believing the victim"?

Seems to me that if the claim of the person making the accusation (note my use of words. The word "victim" assumes facts not in evidence) could result in a criminal charge then one goes directly to the police, do not pass go.

If the nature of the accusation is one of "I didn't like it, it was creepy" then I suppose a college could have a hearing. Recognizing, of course, that the accused must have the absolute right to sue in a real court dfor slander and collect damages. There can never be a get of of jail free card for these jurist wannabes. They have to stand by their actions and take full responsibility, professionally and personally.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:20 pm

gnome wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:

Sorry, you're still trying to hold to your claim that every single time someone uses "believe the victim" that it is according to your cynical interpretation of it. I can even admit that you're sometimes right. You can't admit that you're sometimes wrong on this? Literally every time, it's not a more practical interpretation?

I will grudgingly admit the possibility that somebody somewhere may have one used it so at some time in the remote past. :P

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:56 am

Dagens Nyheter, last november, wrote:Man with Swedish Academy ties accused of sexual assault

18 women accuse a central figure in the Swedish cultural sphere of sexual assault and harassment. He is artistic director of a literary club in central Stockholm, and has close ties to the Swedish Academy, which every year choses the laureate for the Nobel Prize in literature.

Several of the described incidents have happened in flats belonging to the Swedish Academy.

The Nobel foundation’s executive director Lars Heikenstein also says that the artistic director will not be attending this year's Nobel Prize banquet after the allegations.

On Thursday the Swedish Academy decided to cut all ties to the artistic director, and revealed that relatives of their members had also been subjected to ”undesired intimacy and improper treatment” by him.
https://www.dn.se/kultur-noje/man-with-swedish-academy-ties-accused-of-sexual-assault/ for details.

The unnamed dude is Jean-Claude Arnault, a Froggy with expensive artistic tastes who considered himself the "19th member" of the Academy.
As it's from last year, sorry if somebody already posted about that, I not always read everything… :P

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:19 pm

#MeToo has rich men wary of extortion

New York City men are protecting themselves from the dark side of the #MeToo movement, including an upswing in false accusations and blackmail, lawyers and private eyes say.

One young technology exec said he has six Nest cams installed inside his swanky downtown condo to “document and provide corroboration for what’s happening in my private life.”

“It’s an insurance policy,” he said.

When he recently brought home a date and realized she was highly intoxicated, he turned to one of the cams and called her a ride home.

“I tried to keep the interaction fully within views of the camera before calling her a Lyft,” he said.
“Rich men are not the victims, but we may be the targets.”

Private investigator Herman Weisberg agrees, saying he has seen an increase in extortion cases since #MeToo gained widespread attention last year.

“Since October, I’ve gotten about 25 cases of solid extortion threats,” said Weisberg, managing director of Sage Intelligence Group.
Weisberg says it has become a common tactic for extorters to e-mail a man with whom they have had relations and demand an apology in writing.

“They claim that their therapist says that’s the important first step,” Weisberg said.

“Let’s just say a high-powered person writes an e-mail back and says, ‘Wow, I’m really sorry you feel that way, and I’m sorry if I did anything,’ they are basically admitting wrongdoing, whether or not they even know what they are apologizing for.”

Weisberg said he considers it a red flag when an accuser seeks money directly from the accused or threatens to go public on social media.
“If you’re going to do it, do it — go on social media. But don’t threaten the person in advance . . . That’s what we call in the business a ‘cash grab.’ ”

Well, I would say, if a crime has been committed, you should file a police report, and have an investigation.
This "trial by facebook" is bullshit, and will eventually come back to haunt women who engage in it, and maybe it already has.
On edge over the wave of sexual-misconduct allegations against prominent figures, professional men in New York say they have been avoiding evening outings with female colleagues.

One corporate lawyer scratched his tradition of grabbing Christmas drinks with a female mentee, and opted for the safer alternative of lunch. Another city businessman now brings his lawyer to meetings with women to avoid any misconstrued messages.

“I even think to myself, ‘Should I be meeting someone at my office at 9 o’clock at night when no one else is there?’ ” admitted criminal-defense attorney Jeremy Saland, who has seen an uptick in #MeToo-inspired extortion cases. “Anyone can make an allegation.”

“Our clients are seeking protection from extorters because they are petrified that if a claim is made public, shared with family or reported to employers, perception — not the truth — will carry the day.

So is avoiding outings with female colleagues, the result of a personal cost-benefit analysis and decision?

If so, can you really blame them?

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:33 pm

gnome wrote:There is a real idea behind it, regardless of how it may be abused. Funny how often I say that, isn't it.

The best way to see where it's coming from is to look at not so long ago, a comparison of how someone who says they were raped, is treated compared to someone who says they were robbed. How quickly does the question come up of whether the robbery victim is lying about it? Or whether poor decisions they made caused a greater likelihood of robbery?

People don't normally hand their belongings over to a stranger, then later have regrets about it and claim they were robbed because they didn't call them the next day.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Peezus himself, The Real-o True-lo Pope of No Shit This Time True AtheismTM wants to know ...

Have you ever wondered why the #MeToo movement hasn’t caught up with Michael Shermer?

I can tell you why: it’s because he bullies people, is litigious, and does his best to make life miserable for anyone who squeaks. I publicized a woman’s first person account of how he took advantage of her at a conference — she was terrified that he’d go after her and he did — and he responded by encouraging conference organizers to blackball me, and threw a lawsuit at me (he later backed down, since it was just going to be a parade of witnesses describing his deplorable behavior). ...

Is it really rape when the victim in question does not exist?

Peezus himself made up the story because he is jealous of Shermer's superior notoriety.

Never mind that NormalTM people never heard of either of them, despite occasional bad press from right wing sources. :propeller:

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:28 pm

Matt Lauer, Mario Batali, and Garrison Keillor are all eyeing a return. #MeToo is at risk.

Just months after the downfall of producer Harvey Weinstein and the rise of the current #MeToo movement, once-powerful men are already thinking about their comebacks.

Matt Lauer is “testing the waters,” according to Page Six, “by coming out of hiding from his Hamptons home.” Mario Batali is reportedly thinking of starting a new company. Garrison Keillor is touring again, and wants to bring back his radio shows.

Some of the comeback chatter has come from media outlets rather than directly from the men. Charlie Rose was the subject of a recent profile in the Hollywood Reporter detailing his post-firing media diet and exercise regimen (10 newspapers a day; tennis) and examining what “earning back his good name” might look like. The same publication also recently asked comedians and club owners how Louis C.K. “could return to the stage ... and the spotlight.” (Comebacks by once-powerful men appear to be a bit of a trend lately, whether or not they were accused as part of #MeToo — former national security adviser Michael Flynn has begun making speaking appearances and recently told Politico he is “doing great.”)

Who knows...

Perhaps #metoo will eventually end up being little more than a tempest in a teacup...

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:21 pm

Some insight from OVER BY SHERMERLAND.

Myers lives in the intersection of two bubbles, a mainstream media bubble obsessed with the misbehavior of Hollywood moguls and a bubble of professional atheism that he confuses with free thought. Schermer's alleged rapiness exists in the latter but not the former, and the cognitive dissonance is too much for Myers to handle. Why can't Rachel Maddow see that Schermer is as evil as Weinstein? Doesn't she read Myers?

8)

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:43 pm

Even from the sunny climates we have....
Pakistan's long #MeToo moment

One would think that a woman going public with accusations of sexual harassment against a man and then facing a severe backlash would not be so common in 2018. But in Pakistan, it keeps happening.

On April 19, Meesha Shafi, a Pakistani pop-star, put up a thoughtful Twitter statement accusing Ali Zafar, Pakistani star actor-singer, of sexually harassing her.

"Today, I speak up because my conscience does not allow me to be silent anymore," she wrote in the statement.

Her tweet was retweeted more than 5,400 times, got a little over 10,000 likes and garnered some 3,000 responses, many of them attacking her. The backlash Shafi is facing is quite abusive and much of it is rejecting the existence of sexual harassment or shaming her for making this public.

Conservative commentators and TV personalities have also defended Zafar, who has threatened to sue Shafi. Women from the industry have also come out in his defence, claiming that they were present during interactions between Shafi and Zafar but did not witness any problematic behaviour from him.
She said/He said/she said.... sheeshkabab...
In a typically Muslim country also, go figure....
...well not a REAL Muslim country say like IRAN....but still.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:49 pm

typically Muslim country

British Commonwealth, Old Boy.

All that acting and singing is strictly infidel.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:25 pm

We could quote from a number of embarrassing scandal rags, but there is something appropriate about a "Superman Blog:"

Smallville’s “Chloe Sullivan” Allison Mack yesterday in court plead “not guilty” to charges that she was involved in sex trafficking and forced labor as a major part of a “sex cult” led by Keith Raniere. If charged, Mack could face 15 years to life in prison.

The prosecution lawyers are very serious about the charges leveled against the former Smallville actor.

“Ms. Mack was one of the top members of a highly organized scheme which was designed to provide sex to [Raniere],” Assistant US Attorney Moira Penza said in court Friday. “Under the guise of female empowerment, she starved women until they fit her co-defendant’s sexual feminine ideal.” Is that not Thin Shaming? [Stop it.--Ed.]

For now, Mack has been denied bail as the first petition wasn’t sufficient. She later achieves house detention on a 5 million dollar bond. ["Snip!"--Ed.]

The charges against Allison Mack are very serious and unfortunately, there is a lot of evidence stacked against her: Text messages, blog posts where she mentions her association with Keith Raniere, photos at NXIVM-related functions, and even a series of video interviews on YouTube where Mack gushingly interviews her “mentor.”

Yesterday’s court appearance also confirmed that Allison has married Battlestar Galactica actress Nicki Clyne, also a member of the “cult” and follower of Keith Raniere. Clyne was spotted in Mexico with Raniere and Mack when the cult leader was arrested a few weeks back.

Kryptonsite

--J. "She'll Fit in Real Good!" D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:39 pm

She's hot.

gnome

Postby gnome » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Chloe AND Cally possibly involved?

nooooooooooo

If it weren't for the stupid cult/slavery thing I could be all "giggity" x 1000, now it just makes me sad.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:44 pm

gnome wrote:Chloe AND Cally possibly involved?

nooooooooooo

If it weren't for the stupid cult/slavery thing I could be all "giggity" x 1000, now it just makes me sad.

Try to think of it as an 'in'.

Skeeve

Postby Skeeve » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:52 am

Meanwhile, back at the metoo....
‘Like vigilantes on the rampage’: Top donor blasts Democrats’ response to #MeToo

Susie Tompkins Buell, the prominent Democratic donor, isn’t happy with how Democrats have handled sexual misconduct allegations within their own party – and it could affect how she doles out her financial support ahead of a contentious midterm election cycle.

When asked on the Women Rule podcast about how former Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) resigned after several harassment accusations were leveled against him, Buell said she was “very ashamed of the Democrats for letting that happen.”

“I feel like it was so unfair,” said Buell, who is widely known in left-leaning circles for cutting big political checks and through her close friendship with Hillary Clinton. “It seemed like the people that forced him out—it was like vigilantes on the rampage. It just struck me as so wrong.”

"The rain falls on the just and the unjust alike..."

Seriously, she shouldn't complain when the shit she and her Marxist/feminist "sisters" started, comes back to haunt them...
On the other hand, do they really think she will start supporting the GOP?
:shock:

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”