Trump Tax Bill

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Trump Tax Bill

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Let's see what actually gets passed and then repealed piecemeal.

I personally might or might not slightly benefit from it, or possibly never really be sure.

The only thing certain is there in no "reform".
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:37 pm

In a few months the new tax code will be reflected in people's paychecks. And the Democrats will then try to get elected by promising to raise everyone's taxes, after lying about the effects of the new code. And people will be reminded that the Dems lied every week or 2.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:44 pm

Isn't the coverage for preexisting a big part of the reason why it's more expensive? In the past you could get insurance for less because they could turn away people who were a bad risk like those with preexisting conditions.

For some reason all other countries besides the USA (not counting third world countries) seem to be able to keep the costs reasonable. Here, my whole family is insured for a reasonable price.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:51 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:For some reason all other countries besides the USA (not counting third world countries) seem to be able to keep the costs reasonable. Here, my whole family is insured for a reasonable price.

You're not supporting a military industrial complex on top of everything else.

As for third world countries, that they "keep costs down" is BS. Because they have third world healthcare.
When the big bosses get sick, they go to Europe or the USA and pay full price.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:07 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Isn't the coverage for preexisting a big part of the reason why it's more expensive? In the past you could get insurance for less because they could turn away people who were a bad risk like those with preexisting conditions.

For some reason all other countries besides the USA (not counting third world countries) seem to be able to keep the costs reasonable. Here, my whole family is insured for a reasonable price.

I don't think it's pre-existing conditions so much as all the mandatory unnecessary but politically correct coverage requirements, like birth control. Why do middle and upper-income women need everyone else to subsidize their birth control expenses?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:40 pm

The countries ration their health care and/or have a much, much smaller population.

Japan is such a country that also lacks the litigiousness that drives defensive medicine. Japan also does not deal with a massive illegal immigrant population.

Granted, there are the tentacle injuries.

In the rain.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.

Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho

ImageWS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! ImageStanley Cup!Image SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!! Image

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:33 pm

Let's wait and see.
Nice things? Hell no!

Board Crumbmuffin.

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:12 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:For some reason all other countries besides the USA (not counting third world countries) seem to be able to keep the costs reasonable. Here, my whole family is insured for a reasonable price.

You're not supporting a military industrial complex on top of everything else.

Nah. What they aren't supporting is a bloated collection of for-profit interests that are taking a cut from all of this.

Doctor X wrote:The countries ration their health care and/or have a much, much smaller population.

The US rations healthcare, just in a haphazard fashion based more on wealth than necessity.

Japan is such a country that also lacks the litigiousness that drives defensive medicine.

The nature of the system is what drives litigiousness.

A better social safety net including UHC makes the litigiousness far less of an issue.

Litigiousness is driven mostly by the fact that a severe negative medical outcome (whether malpractice or not) can result in financial devastation both due to loss of earnings power and future medical needs. If the suffering person wants to mitigate the effect, he must show culpability and has to collect the lifetime expected damages in one lump sum. This in turn leads to overly sympathetic and inflated verdicts, and medical practices that are cautious to the point of absurdity because professional competence is going to be judged by twelve random people who are also hearing a story of some blameless person who was grievously injured.

Since the injured person can't front costs, lawyers that win are yet another group taking a large cut, and those fees caused the entire development of an industry looking for more and more reasons to sue.

All it takes to fix most of this is lower the stakes. UHC eliminates the need to collect for future medical costs, and doing lost income on a percentage as-you-go system eliminates absurd guesswork and allows for recovery. Get those out of the way, and the lawsuits become less a profit center. Combine with this a more no-fault mutual insurance model for damages and maybe the medical profession can be left to police itself as now 12 angry/sad randos aren't deciding what is malpractice.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:56 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:maybe the medical profession can be left to police itself

Doubtful
- new minimalist ethos -

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:17 pm

ed wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:maybe the medical profession can be left to police itself

Doubtful

The motivation is the no-fault mutual insurance pool that would give incentive for doctors to police their own so that maniacs don't run up the costs. They could assess whether a negative outcome was negligence or just one of those things much more efficiently than a jury trial.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”