Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by WildCat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:49 pm

A passenger on a flight from Houston to Washington D.C. has accused United Airlines of giving her first-class seat to U.S. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee. D-Houston, and then threatening to remove her from the plane for complaining and snapping a photo of the Houston congresswoman.

"It was just so completely humiliating," said Jean-Marie Simon, a 63-year-old attorney and private school teacher who used 140,000 miles on Dec. 3 to purchase the first-class tickets to take her from Washington D.C. to Guatemala and back home.

When it came time to board the last leg of her flight home from George Bush Intercontinental Airport on Dec. 18, after a roughly hour-long weather delay, Simon said the gate attendant scanned her paper ticket and told her it was not in the system.

Did you cancel your flight?, the attendant asked.

"No," she said she replied. "I just want to go home."

Her seat, 1A, was taken, she was told. Simon was given a $500 voucher and reseated in row 11, Economy Plus.

Simon later learned that Jackson Lee was in her pre-purchased seat and has alleged that the congresswoman received preferential treatment, which United denies.

"After thoroughly examining our electronic records, we found that upon receiving a notification that Flight 788 was delayed due to weather, the customer appears to have canceled her flight from Houston to Washington, D.C. within the United mobile app," United said in a statement. "As part of the normal pre-boarding process, gate agents began clearing standby and upgrade customers, including the first customer on the waitlist for an upgrade."

Simon denies that she cancelled her ticket. She sent a reporter a screenshot of the United website showing only one "inactive" reservation – a flight to Houston in August to visit her daughter that she had to cancel because of Hurricane Harvey.

A United official said screenshot doesn't show the December flight as cancelled because she ultimately took the flight.

The official provided another screenshot of United's internal software system and said that it showed the flight had been cancelled on a mobile app, though a reporter was unable to independently verify that on Saturday because of the system's coding.

Jackson Lee issued a statement on Saturday afternoon saying: "I asked for nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary and received nothing exceptional or out of the ordinary."

Simon said she saw Jackson Lee board the plane with a flight attendant before all of the other passengers, but did not know who she was until another passenger told her after they were seated.

A mechanical problem with the plane delayed take-off and after about 50 minutes, she said, passengers were invited to consult with a gate agent about alternative flights.

Simon said she went to the front and snapped a photo of Jackson Lee and told a flight attendant that she knew why she'd been bumped.

In her statement, Jackson Lee said she overheard Simon speaking with an African-American flight attendant and saw her snap the photo.

"Since this was not any fault of mine, the way the individual continued to act appeared to be, upon reflection, because I was an African American woman, seemingly an easy target along with the African American flight attendant who was very, very nice," Jackson Lee said in the statement. "This saddens me, especially at this time of year given all of the things we have to work on to help people. But in the spirit of this season and out of the sincerity of my heart, if it is perceived that I had anything to do with this, I am kind enough to simply say sorry."

Simon said Jackson Lee's statement accused her of racism, adding: "I had no idea who was in my seat when I complained at the gate that my seat had been given to someone else," she said. "There is no way you can see who is in a seat from inside the terminal."
http://www.chron.com/news/politics/arti ... 452258.php

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

gnome

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by gnome » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:27 pm

It seems like a lot of this rests on whether she actually cancelled as United claims.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by Doctor X » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 pm

As much of a racist puke Lee has always been, the error is on United. Being a Cunt, Privileged Lee can never not stoop to accusing everyone else for her own racism.

I blame Hal.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:42 pm

gnome wrote:It seems like a lot of this rests on whether she actually cancelled as United claims.
It's hard to believe she cancelled and showed up for the flight anyway, and by pure coincidence Lee is in her seat.

Much easier to believe that the asshat Congresscritter in whose district the airport lies bullied United into giving her Simon's seat.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:16 pm

Congresscritter.

I like it.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:59 pm

sparks wrote:Congresscritter.

I like it.
Our tax dollars at play....
Then Skank Of America could start in...

gnome

Post by gnome » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:38 pm

WildCat wrote:
gnome wrote:It seems like a lot of this rests on whether she actually cancelled as United claims.
It's hard to believe she cancelled and showed up for the flight anyway, and by pure coincidence Lee is in her seat.

Much easier to believe that the asshat Congresscritter in whose district the airport lies bullied United into giving her Simon's seat.
I've gotta agree, if I had to guess I'd say that's how it went down. Or, perhaps without being pressured, United bumped a "less important" passenger when the Congresscritter asked for a seat.

They have not learned from this past year or so.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:19 pm

gnome wrote:They have not learned from this past year or so.
Not at all similar to the previous case.

Lee is in a position to do much more harm to United than any mere customer with a lawsuit.

She is literally able to put yhem out of business.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:49 pm

not any more
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 pm

ed wrote:not any more
You mean because of the adverse publicity?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:05 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
gnome wrote:They have not learned from this past year or so.
Not at all similar to the previous case.

Lee is in a position to do much more harm to United than any mere customer with a lawsuit.

She is literally able to put yhem out of business.
I'm not sure even she can put them out of business for correctly refusing to bump a paying customer. I'm quite sure she's willing to throw them under the bus for accommodating her unfairly though. She can plead ignorance. So they made a dumb move, I think.
--Soldier, TF2

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:31 am

United changing their policies in 3, 3, 3 . . .
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:42 am

I sat in first class across from Dennis Kucinich once. Stephanie Tubbs Jones sat behind me. I tried to look inscrutable.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Fid

Post by Fid » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:23 am

Wait, what? There's that little space in first class? I kinda thought you'd have to have at least two seats to fit the lobster and wine and...ahem...the ladies of altitude.
I guess they put the bored kids next to me.
In retrospect it would be great if instead of that bullshit commercial fliers they had included a small pamphlet on how to jerk off.
"Try SCE to AUX."
Yeah, me and an electrified atmosphere ain't friends.

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:52 am

Fid wrote:Wait, what? There's that little space in first class? I kinda thought you'd have to have at least two seats to fit the lobster and wine and...ahem...the ladies of altitude.

Never more… :(

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:10 pm

"Someone was bumped from a flight by some VIP. Airline gave the runaround, etc. "

"No big deal. Unfortunately standard. Can't be helped."

"Well, the VIP was a black female."

"OMG THIS IS WORTHY OF NOTE AND NATIONAL OUTRAGE FOR REASONS THAT ARE TOTALLY NOT RACIST MISOGYNY IT IS ABOUT ETHICS IN GAMING JOURN.... I MEAN FAIR AIRLINE PRACTICES!!!!"

(Clear case of lol white people.)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:39 pm

The point is the VIP was a member of congress.

If you don't see why that's a problem, there is something wrong with you.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Actually, of all of the stories of people getting bounced, this is the first one that I can recall that involves a person of the colored persuasion.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:55 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The point is the VIP was a member of congress.

If you don't see why that's a problem, there is something wrong with you.
Not saying it isn't a problem. If it were me that got bumped I'd be pissed, but at the airline, not the person who got the seat. It isn't on them to police fairness in transportation.

The point is that unfair shit like this happens on a constant basis in many ways, places, and contexts, and anger over this, in the scheme of things minor, inconvenience is... curious. Even beyond the assumption that this isn't a standard airline fuckup or that maybe the other passenger did something stupid with the app that she tried to casually act like it didn't happen as to bluff herself back on the plane.

I know the indignity of having to fly coach and be reimbursed+ for the inconvenience is life altering and worthy of rage, but I'd likely just deal with it than to scream that the black woman is the one that should be sitting in the back of the bus...er... plane. One of the like .03% of the time that racial dynamics doesn't work out in the white person's favor.

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:57 pm

ed wrote:Actually, of all of the stories of people getting bounced, this is the first one that I can recall that involves a person of the colored persuasion.
Most of the stories I am aware of are examples of airlines overbooking flights, so in those cases there is less cause for paranoia and it is generally accepted that the bouncing is random.