Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by WildCat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:10 pm

Witness wrote:
Fid wrote:Wait, what? There's that little space in first class? I kinda thought you'd have to have at least two seats to fit the lobster and wine and...ahem...the ladies of altitude.

Never more… :(
Notice the guy on the right leering at the leggy blond across the aisle.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

WildCat

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by WildCat » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:12 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
ed wrote:Actually, of all of the stories of people getting bounced, this is the first one that I can recall that involves a person of the colored persuasion.
Most of the stories I am aware of are examples of airlines overbooking flights, so in those cases there is less cause for paranoia and it is generally accepted that the bouncing is random.
United didn't claim the flight was overbooked and she was bounced at random.

The evidence points to Lee showing up to buy a last-minute ticket and bullying United to give her another passenger's seat.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:18 pm

I don't remember anything like that, but I do remember a smoking section. :oldman:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:45 pm

ed wrote:Actually, of all of the stories of people getting bounced, this is the first one that I can recall that involves a person of the colored persuasion.
Most of the stories I am aware of are examples of airlines overbooking flights, so in those cases there is less cause for paranoia and it is generally accepted that the bouncing is random.
If that were so, can we find instances of congresscritters being bumped and having to stew in the concourse until they get on a subsequent flight?

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Giz wrote:
If that were so, can we find instances of congresscritters being bumped and having to stew in the concourse until they get on a subsequent flight?
Does that question make sense in your head? Just curious.

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:35 pm

WildCat wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:[
I is almost like I was talking about a totally different situation or something.

The evidence points to Lee showing up to buy a last-minute ticket and bullying United to give her another passenger's seat.
It is just as likely that this other passenger canceled her flight by accident and now in a desperate bid to get on the plane is denying she did so and generally acting like an ass trying to get her way.

Nah... that would mean taking the word of a black woman and an airline over some random woman who has thrown a fit. We all know white people are never manipulative like those shady black Congresswomen.

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:36 pm

I can't see why this woman would continue to press her claim, risking widespread ridicule, if she had indeed cancelled her flight. And having had a ticket cancelled by an airline without my knowledge (fortunately, they tracked down and admitted the mistake and had a seat available), I can understand how upset she was. United's explanation smells like PR bullshit.

But the true piece of shit in this is Jackson Lee for playing the race card when it was unwarranted. Even if she is innocent (which, I confess, I doubt), she has no right to publicly accuse this woman of racism, and she owes her a very public apology.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:48 pm

WildCat wrote:
I is almost like I was talking about a totally different situation or something.

It is just as likely that this other passenger canceled her flight by accident and now in a desperate bid to get on the plane is denying she did so and generally acting like an ass trying to get her way.

Nah... that would mean taking the word of a black woman and an airline over some random woman who has thrown a fit. We all know white people are never manipulative like those shady black Congresswomen.
False equivalency. It is certainly possible, but not just as likely. If it did indeed happen as United claims, she is risking a lot of internet ridicule (and perhaps a libel suit) by continuing to press a false claim.

There is, of course, a possibility that some manager working for United did this on their own to please a Congressperson without Jackson Lee's knowledge.

We could spend hours arguing the exact likelihood of each of these scenarios. But if I had to bet money. I'd go with "Congressperson bullied her way into a first-class seat" over other scenarios. And it has nothing to do with race. Jackson Lee is the one who played the race card.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Freedom of choice
Is what you got
Freedom from choice
Is what you want

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:14 pm

Giz wrote:
Does that question make sense in your head? Just curious.
Just a meditation on how "random" bumps seem to happen to little people, not our duly entitled representatives.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:37 pm

WildCat wrote:

OK, lets look at this rationally.

A schoolteacher accidentally cancels a flight and then shows up at the airport expecting to be seated

or

A member of the elite decides she wants to travel and pressures the carrier to bump a little person so that she is not inconvienienced

Which is more likely on the face of it?
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:45 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The point is the VIP was a member of congress.

If you don't see why that's a problem, there is something wrong with you.
When the title of the thread says "white privilege" there's a reason to think that it's a racial thing.

I don't know how common an occurrence this is though. Do airlines regularly "bump" normies if a VIP wants their seat? Honestly I can't remember hearing many stories like this. The mega-rich typically travel by private jet or charter a whole plane. First class is mostly for the wealthy who aren't quite obscenely wealthy.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:11 am

After re-reading United's explanation, I think it's certainly possible that this woman either accidentally or mistakenly cancelled her reservation in the app. Perhaps the app is crap.

They said they sent screen shots. Screenshots could be faked but that's some high level fuckery if they went so far as to create fake screen shots. I would even suggest a conspiracy would be necessary.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:35 am

Anaxagoras wrote:After re-reading United's explanation, I think it's certainly possible that this woman either accidentally or mistakenly cancelled her reservation in the app.
Yeah. We of course never accidentally close a window or click the wrong menu, right? And it's so much easier on a phone… :mrgreen:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:36 am

Witness wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:After re-reading United's explanation, I think it's certainly possible that this woman either accidentally or mistakenly cancelled her reservation in the app.
Yeah. We of course never accidentally close a window or click the wrong menu, right? And it's so much easier on a phone… :mrgreen:
Funny story: A couple weeks ago or so I was walking home. I had a bag of groceries in one hand and I was talking to my waifu on my phone with the other hand. Anyway, we finished our conversation so I hung up the phone and put it in my pants pocket. Somehow when I put it in my pocket I must have touched the screen in a way that caused it to redial my waifu. So she answered but all she could hear was the muffled sound of whatever it sounds like in my pocket, and I couldn't hear her. In my mind I had hung up and the phone was supposed to be inactive. At some point she decided to yell in a creepy voice, which I heard, but didn't realize that it was coming from my pocket. It sounded like it came from right behind me. So I looked around but there was nobody there. Weird. Did some kind of animal make the noise or somebody I couldn't see for some reason? Or maybe I'm hearing things. (It was night, btw.) So I kept walking and after a few more steps I hear another scream. Again, I can't place where the sound is coming from but it sounds like it's close. :o It's freaking me out. I guess she gave up after that and hung up but I kept nervously looking around and behind me most of the way home until I was sure that whatever it was wasn't following me. Told my waifu when I got home and she said, did it sound like this? :eekeyes: And that's when I finally realized what had happened. :oops:
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:08 am

Anaxagoras wrote: When the title of the thread says "white privilege" there's a reason to think that it's a racial thing.
I didn't title the thread. Rather I was trying to bring in some sanity.

Sorry you don't like sanity. :P

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:10 am

Wanna get racial?

What about white folks who go through every possible contortion of apologetics to defend members of the ruling class elite who "happen" to be black. :P

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Wanna get racial?

What about white folks who go through every possible contortion of apologetics to defend members of the ruling class elite who "happen" to be black. :P
They are fools. I don't think that applies to me though.

In this one particular case, I've considered both possibilities and while I remain open to persuasion and new evidence, I don't see compelling evidence that they bumped her because the congresswoman made a big stink and threatened them. If it had happened that way, multiple people would know the truth, because it would take a coordinated effort to cover it up. If it was at the gate, there would be witnesses who aren't employees. The other possibility is some kind of technical glitch in their computer system, or the app. That is at least a conceivable possibility.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:40 pm

And, of course, the seat just happens to be in first class.

Wonder if there were seats in economy ... wait, there were.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:07 pm

Giz wrote:
If they overbook a first class seat, the bump would be to economy. But very likely, they do not overbook first class seats. If a first class flyer doesn't show up, they can use that seat to placate some lower class flyer they've previously utterly fucked. So there would be few examples of this excepting stories like this one.

To test this, I did a google search with a date range to exclude this story.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bumped+ ... A2015&tbm=
The results usually involved air marshals or such but those could be excuses. :)

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:24 pm

I was bumped to first class after they overbooked economy once. :)