Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RCC: Act II

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:06 pm

shemp wrote:I can't see why this woman would continue to press her claim, risking widespread ridicule, if she had indeed cancelled her flight. And having had a ticket cancelled by an airline without my knowledge (fortunately, they tracked down and admitted the mistake and had a seat available), I can understand how upset she was. United's explanation smells like PR bullshit.

But the true piece of shit in this is Jackson Lee for playing the race card when it was unwarranted. Even if she is innocent (which, I confess, I doubt), she has no right to publicly accuse this woman of racism, and she owes her a very public apology.
You know it was unwarranted how exactly? Where you there to experience this woman's behavior?

I know it might sound weird to normal reasonable people, but there are people out there that lie and use aggression to more or less gaslight the people that call them out on it. She cancels her flight for some reason, and then realizes she really needs/wants the flight, and then is the kind of person that knows that the more angry and loud she acts the more likely she will get her way.

Am a certain of this? No. It seems at least an equally likely explanation given what I know about the situation though. I know way too many people who would do exactly this in this spot.

Re: Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee Checks School Teacher's White Privilege, Steals Airline Seat

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:18 pm

ed wrote:
OK, lets look at this rationally.

A schoolteacher accidentally cancels a flight and then shows up at the airport expecting to be seated

or

A member of the elite decides she wants to travel and pressures the carrier to bump a little person so that she is not inconvienienced

Which is more likely on the face of it?
I've fucked enough teachers to know that the position is not exactly one I correlate to sane behavior, so to me that weighs more towards the Congresswomen. Add in United who could have just told her it was overbooked and she showed up later or something other than an out and out cancellation, and.... I have no way of knowing and don't really care what actually happened.

Also, the idea that the "Elite Congresswoman" would have known she was having a "little person" bumped strains credulity as it imputes a bit too much knowledge of United's seating policy to the Congresswoman. Maybe United did create some sort of pretense for seating a Congresswoman without her knowing about it. I refer back to my suspicion as to why a teacher being bumped from 1st class to coach is worthy of note.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:40 pm

The idea of privilege is that the privileged take for granted that they will be treated specially. No, the congresswoman had no idea who or what would have to happen for her to be seated to her satisfaction. She assumed it would be taken care of. That is the essence of privilege.

And am I making an assumption about congress people generally? You bet your ass. I assume the worst just like they assume that if they grope an intern and the intern mouths off, that their slush fund will make the payoff without the little people ever getting wind of it. Funny how that story went away, isn't it?

and to impute any racist element to this is, in fact, racism at it's most pernicious.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

ed

Post by ed » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 pm

“Is it more probable that nature should go out of her course or that a congressperson should tell a lie? We have never seen, in our time, nature go out of her course. But we have good reason to believe that millions of lies have been told by congresspeople in the same time. It is therefore at least millions to one that a congressperson lies. ”
sorry Tom but I think you'd agree.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:03 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
ed wrote:
OK, lets look at this rationally.

A schoolteacher accidentally cancels a flight and then shows up at the airport expecting to be seated

or

A member of the elite decides she wants to travel and pressures the carrier to bump a little person so that she is not inconvienienced

Which is more likely on the face of it?
I've fucked enough teachers to know that the position is not exactly one I correlate to sane behavior, so to me that weighs more towards the Congresswomen. Add in United who could have just told her it was overbooked and she showed up later or something other than an out and out cancellation, and.... I have no way of knowing and don't really care what actually happened.

Also, the idea that the "Elite Congresswoman" would have known she was having a "little person" bumped strains credulity as it imputes a bit too much knowledge of United's seating policy to the Congresswoman. Maybe United did create some sort of pretense for seating a Congresswoman without her knowing about it. I refer back to my suspicion as to why a teacher being bumped from 1st class to coach is worthy of note.
Wait, you are suggesting that teachers are less trustworthy, on average, than politicians? !

Everyone knows that politicians are #1 (followed by lawyers)

gnome

Post by gnome » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:30 pm

Nobody is particularly trustworthy when their own interest is on the line. I don't think you can tell that by profession.
I'd argue politicians just get more opportunities to show their nature.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:21 pm

ed wrote:
and to impute any racist element to this is, in fact, racism at it's most pernicious.
Alleging racism is not racism. It is a assertion that is used to stifle conversations about race and how it affects things because the listener finds accusations of racism to be so offensive that said offense justifies never addressing the possibility of his own racism.

If I say that I think the white person is lying because white people all have a sense of entitlement to the point of absurdity, then yeah, I'm being a bit racist against white people.

(assuming one sees white as an race in the sense of cultural ethnicity rather than a mere physical description. When I make fun of white people, it is directed at the ones that see being white itself as significant cultural identity rather than just a catch-all for those who in the US aren't of ethnic groups associated with darker skin. That is a ideology, not a race, and all of this is a whole different topic)

If I say that people in general are making a way bigger deal of this because this is a black woman, that isn't racist.

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:24 pm

Giz wrote: Wait, you are suggesting that teachers are less trustworthy, on average, than politicians? !

Everyone knows that politicians are #1 (followed by lawyers)
It depends on the subject and context. I don't think members of any profession are inherently more trustworthy than others.

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:32 am

I googled a bit. Seems Ms. Lee is an awful boss and quite used to bully people to gain some advantage.
Burruss [her employee] says she received her first indication all was not smooth sailing when an angry Lee called her from Alabama, where she had rented a car to participate in a re-enactment of the historic civil-rights march on Selma organized by a Washington, D.C. group, Faith and Politics. When Lee and Houston office director Gerald Womack flew to Montgomery, the congresswoman discovered that a white male colleague had been personally chauffeured to the event by a Faith and Politics staffer.

Lee immediately called Burruss and chewed her out for not getting a similar arrangement. Lee wondered aloud about whether the white congressman had gotten the VIP treatment because of his race and then, Burruss says, yelled at her over the phone, "You don't understand. I am a queen, and I demand to be treated like a queen."
http://web.archive.org/web/200001061232 ... er1-1.html
HuffPost (2011) wrote:Sheila Jackson Lee, Worst Boss In Congress? Goes Through 11 Chiefs Of Staff In 11 Years
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/ ... 80330.html
The Daily Beast wrote:The Constitution Is 400 Years Old and More Pearls From Sheila Jackson Lee

[…]
Early in her tenure in Congress, back in the days when airlines still served food, Jackson Lee would demand the ability to make multiple first class reservations on Continental Airlines and then cancel them freely according to her schedule. The airline did not appreciate this. The culminating point was when Jackson Lee boarded a flight back to her Houston district and discovered the first class menu didn’t include the seafood option that she wanted. The congresswoman started screaming “Don’t you know who I am? I’m Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Where is my seafood meal? I know it was ordered!”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/the-const ... ackson-lee
Houston Press (2005) wrote:What's Driving Miss Shelia? [sic]
With her frenetic grandstanding, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee has irritated her staff, her colleagues, and even the president.

[…]
Lee didn't bring a car to Washington and declined to lease one. Instead, she depended on her staff to get her around.

"She would give me a time to pick her up in the morning," remembers a former staffer. "You'd get there every morning, usually around nine, and you'd wait between 30 minutes to an hour. Just sitting there, doing nothing."

That petty humiliation particularly grated. "She'd ask you to be there at nine, waiting, summer, winter, spring," remembers another reluctant driver. "Then it would be ten o'clock and she would still not be there. You'd wait the longest time and she would still not be there .... If it was terribly cold or hot, you're sitting there in your suit, sweating in this metal oven. Or freezing."

More galling than the actual driving was Lee's attitude toward her drivers. "She just didn't care," says a former legislative assistant. "She'd come down an hour late and want you to open the door for her .... She's not cognizant of anybody except herself. Everything revolves around her."
https://web.archive.org/web/20050103044 ... ature.html

:mrgreen:

Giz

Post by Giz » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:42 am

Witness wrote:I googled a bit. Seems Ms. Lee is an awful boss and quite used to bully people to gain some advantage.
Burruss [her employee] says she received her first indication all was not smooth sailing when an angry Lee called her from Alabama, where she had rented a car to participate in a re-enactment of the historic civil-rights march on Selma organized by a Washington, D.C. group, Faith and Politics. When Lee and Houston office director Gerald Womack flew to Montgomery, the congresswoman discovered that a white male colleague had been personally chauffeured to the event by a Faith and Politics staffer.

Lee immediately called Burruss and chewed her out for not getting a similar arrangement. Lee wondered aloud about whether the white congressman had gotten the VIP treatment because of his race and then, Burruss says, yelled at her over the phone, "You don't understand. I am a queen, and I demand to be treated like a queen."
HuffPost (2011) wrote:Sheila Jackson Lee, Worst Boss In Congress? Goes Through 11 Chiefs Of Staff In 11 Years
The Daily Beast wrote:The Constitution Is 400 Years Old and More Pearls From Sheila Jackson Lee

[…]
Early in her tenure in Congress, back in the days when airlines still served food, Jackson Lee would demand the ability to make multiple first class reservations on Continental Airlines and then cancel them freely according to her schedule. The airline did not appreciate this. The culminating point was when Jackson Lee boarded a flight back to her Houston district and discovered the first class menu didn’t include the seafood option that she wanted. The congresswoman started screaming “Don’t you know who I am? I’m Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee. Where is my seafood meal? I know it was ordered!”
With her frenetic grandstanding, Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee has irritated her staff, her colleagues, and even the president.

[…]
Lee didn't bring a car to Washington and declined to lease one. Instead, she depended on her staff to get her around.

"She would give me a time to pick her up in the morning," remembers a former staffer. "You'd get there every morning, usually around nine, and you'd wait between 30 minutes to an hour. Just sitting there, doing nothing."

That petty humiliation particularly grated. "She'd ask you to be there at nine, waiting, summer, winter, spring," remembers another reluctant driver. "Then it would be ten o'clock and she would still not be there. You'd wait the longest time and she would still not be there .... If it was terribly cold or hot, you're sitting there in your suit, sweating in this metal oven. Or freezing."

More galling than the actual driving was Lee's attitude toward her drivers. "She just didn't care," says a former legislative assistant. "She'd come down an hour late and want you to open the door for her .... She's not cognizant of anybody except herself. Everything revolves around her."

Oh but teachers do much worse

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:51 am

Witness wrote:I googled a bit. Seems Ms. Lee is an awful boss and quite used to bully people to gain some advantage.

[…]

[…]

Like I said above, I remain open to persuasion and new evidence and this seems to establish a certain pattern of behavior and attitude of entitlement to special treatment due to her position.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:23 am

I refer to the answer I gave previously.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Post by RCC: Act II » Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:18 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Like I said above, I remain open to persuasion and new evidence and this seems to establish a certain pattern of behavior and attitude of entitlement to special treatment due to her position.
So, acting like a member of congress?

ed

Post by ed » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:59 pm

Yes, a privileged elite who expects to be taken care of without having to ask.

didn't I say that already?

Post by RCC: Act II » Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:57 pm

ed wrote:Yes, a privileged elite who expects to be taken care of without having to ask.

Sure, I did too in my first post. People in authority tend to be assholes. She sounds like she wants to be as much of an asshole as anyone else and get really mad at any hint of disrespect. I imagine she's been made to eat her share of shit and figures it is time to dish it out.

Really, nothing in that list isn't standard. She makes drivers wait and treats her staff like they are there to serve her or something. She gets mad about airline food, and wigged out when it looked like the white guy got better treatment than her w/r/t a civil rights event.

People don't mind so much when this sort of shit comes from a white guy. He's aggressive, he's a stern taskmaster, firmly in control, refuses to be disrespected, and isn't afraid to take initiative to get what he wants or needs.

Both are assholes, just that there is a part of the collective consciousness that it bugs people more when the person being an asshole is a black woman.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:20 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Yeah, she's almost like Trump.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:28 pm

Don't you get it Anax?

It's OK because she's black and it's payback.

Eternal blood feud == Justice.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Post by RCC: Act II » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:29 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:
Yeah, she's almost like Trump.
Close to exactly like him, just on a far smaller scale seeing her bullshit doesn't involve a level of secret service involvement that effectively paralyzes everything anywhere near his intended path.

Well, that, except apparently Trump's idea of a seafood meal on a plane is two fillet-o-fishes.

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:33 pm

I think you've missed entirely RCC's point.

We all agree that it's asshole entitled behavior done by people with too much power. If there was a "won't be an elite entitled asshole" indicator on people we vote for I'd join in picking different people.

Isn't there something to how we react differently to different types of people doing the same thing?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Post by ed » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:48 pm

ed wrote:Yes, a privileged elite who expects to be taken care of without having to ask.

Sure, I did too in my first post. People in authority tend to be assholes. She sounds like she wants to be as much of an asshole as anyone else and get really mad at any hint of disrespect. I imagine she's been made to eat her share of shit and figures it is time to dish it out.

Really, nothing in that list isn't standard. She makes drivers wait and treats her staff like they are there to serve her or something. She gets mad about airline food, and wigged out when it looked like the white guy got better treatment than her w/r/t a civil rights event.

People don't mind so much when this sort of shit comes from a white guy. He's aggressive, he's a stern taskmaster, firmly in control, refuses to be disrespected, and isn't afraid to take initiative to get what he wants or needs.

Both are assholes, just that there is a part of the collective consciousness that it bugs people more when the person being an asshole is a black woman.
I don't buy that for one micro, no, for one picosecond.

Can you imagine if a white guy bitched abut a black guy getting served first or whatever the story was? Can you even picture it? No, the only reason she is still in office is that because she is black she gets a pass because her caopatriotsware in dread of being called racist.