Another Trump Victory

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Another Trump Victory

Post by ed » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:57 am

SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea reopened a border hotline with South Korea on Wednesday, restoring a channel of direct dialogue and signaling a possible thaw in relations between the two Koreas after years of hair-trigger tensions.

The return of the telephone hotline at the village of Panmunjom, which straddles the Demilitarized Zone, the world’s most heavily guarded border, came two days after North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, made a rare overture to the South.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/03/worl ... epage&_r=0

Had this been Obama in office, the media would have had the vapors.
Here, the american media when faced with anything that might be construed as a success for trump

- new minimalist ethos -

RCC: Act II

Re: Another Trump Victory

Post by RCC: Act II » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:36 pm

It is a phone call that came in the context of thawing relations. Whether Trump has or will help this is at best an open question, as it whether these countries are going to agree to stuff that will be at all consistent with US interests. North Korean behavior to date is consistent with the hypothesis that this is an attempt to drive a wedge between US and South Korean interests seeing that South Korea has almost as much to lose as North Korea from a US military strike.

"Let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet"

Asking Trump to be fawned over by a media he threatens constantly is a bit much, anyway. If they get the story right, that is about all they owe anyone. Sorry that he isn't getting, in your estimation, sufficient applause from a media whose access he blocks and work he belittles.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:46 pm

ed: How is this a Trump victory exactly?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed

Post by ed » Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:56 pm

One could argue that he convinced the Norks that they need a pal. And what better pal than their countrymen in the south.

Did Trump scare the shit out of them? Who knows. One thing is for certain, they had no fear of Obama. It is a very good move on the Norks part.
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Post by gnome » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Good for everyone if they're talking instead of flinging random missiles. I can let good news be good news.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:27 pm

I see nothing here but a ploy to buy more time. It's the old Jekyll and Hyde routine. It's nothing that can't be reversed on a whim; no real concession.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:18 pm

How President Trump Changed Your Imagination
Interesting blog post from Scott Adams...
Do you remember when candidate Trump told us (in effect) that he would be the first non-politician to win the presidency? It seemed impossible to even imagine such a thing. Then he did the impossible.

Do you remember when it was common wisdom that if the U.S. recognized Jerusalem as the capital of Israel it would be a huge problem? President Trump did it anyway. So far, it looks like a minor problem at most.

Do you remember when experts said President Trump shouldn’t mess with the Iran nuclear deal because it could cause a huge problem for the United States and its allies? He did it anyway, and it is likely a supporting variable for the Iranian protestors who don’t like how their government is creating problems that don’t need to be problems.
The meta-impact of President Trump routinely doing the “impossible” is that it changes how all of us view our world. If Trump can keep doing the impossible, time and time again, why can’t we?
President Trump isn’t the only variable in the world. But he does create a pattern in our minds of making the impossible seem achievable. Don’t underestimate the impact that pattern has on the imaginations of everyone watching.
...considering he was one of the few folks who called the 2016 election fairly well in advance.
Then Skank Of America could start in...

ed

Post by ed » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:37 pm

I agree with him. And the MSM will never give credit.
- new minimalist ethos -

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:38 pm

ed wrote:I agree with him. And the MSM will never give credit.
Well, I just got this from Clinton. News. Network. (go figure).
Washington (CNN)Survey says: This isn't just Obama's economy anymore.

President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Thursday to boast about the Dow Jones Industrial Average topping 24,000 points for the first time, as well as recent highs in consumer confidence ratings.
The Dow just broke 24,000 for the first time (another all-time Record). If the Dems had won the Presidential Election, the Market would be down 50% from these levels and Consumer Confidence, which is also at an all-time high, would be "low and glum!"

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) November 30, 2017
And it turns out, American voters are giving the real-estate-mogul-turned-politician more and more credit for the stock market growth — and the economy overall.

For the first time, voters are now essentially evenly divided on whether Trump or former President Barack Obama is more responsible for the current state of economy.
I guess the lamestream media spent too much time on Russia, and #metoo to notice....oh well

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/29/politics/ ... index.html

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:21 am

↑ I read something analogous on a French conservative site: "He's a barbarian, &c., but look at the economy!"

So, how's the economy doing, for realz? :?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 am

The economy is doing great.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:27 am

However, imminent collapse looms because that's imminent collapse does, you know.

It looms. :)

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:03 pm

President Trump Earns the Highest Presidential Approval Level of All Time
The Small Business Optimism Index hit an all-time high. That’s the new Presidential Approval Poll.

In olden days (pre-2016), candidates for president were not so different from each other. I can remember pundits complaining endlessly about how similar the Democrats and Republicans had become. In that environment, you can easily imagine someone who voted for Candidate A warming up to Candidate B. In those simpler times, a presidential approval poll meant something.
I contend that business optimism — and small business optimism in particular — are the new standard for presidential approval because “economics” captures most of what a president influences.
I have been telling you for two years straight that psychology drives the economy, and that a Master Persuader such as President Trump can directly influence psychology and optimism. We see him doing that right before our eyes.

At the same time President Trump is “talking up” our economy, he’s talking North Korea’s economy to ruin. If you own a company that is involved in smuggling with North Korea, you probably noticed that South Korea nabbed two tankers that satellite photos spotted cheating. That’s going to be a financial disaster for those shipping companies.
Keep in mind that all of the personality negatives that are reflected in the old-timey presidential approval polls are exactly what is scaring North Korea into the arms of “good cop” South Korea. President Trump’s tweets didn’t cause a war; they caused North Korean flexibility, exactly as I predicted.
We'll see what happens...

ed

Post by ed » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:59 pm

Busses plunge, collapse looms
- new minimalist ethos -

Mentat

Post by Mentat » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:45 pm

Anything's a victory if you can just redefine the current state of affairs as a victory.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

ed

Post by ed » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:53 pm

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Wednesday balked at an immigration deal that would include protections for people from Haiti and African countries, demanding to know at a White House meeting why he should accept immigrants from “shithole countries” rather than people from places like Norway, according to people with direct knowledge of the conversation.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/11/us/p ... tries.html

People are evidentially taking exception to characterizing Haiti as a "shithole" country.

:lol:
- new minimalist ethos -

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:55 pm

I don't believe he said that for a second.
[quote="pillory"]jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke[/quote]

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:01 pm

I can totally see him saying that.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:02 am

Haitians (the ones I've known anyway) love us for our freedoms. Seriously.

Whereas Norwegians may smell nicer or something, but very likely consider the USA a shit hole country (even if they are too well bred to put it that way).

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:14 am

Grammatron wrote:I don't believe he said that for a second.
Why not?

Anyway, out of curiosity I searched this forum for that word, and excluding this thread, a lot of us right here including myself have used that word in reference to certain countries. I don't think Trump would say that on TV, but when he knows there are no cameras or recording devices I could totally imagine it.

Anyway, in response to Trump's question, Norwegians might or might not want to come live in America, but if you live in a shithole country like Haiti or Afghanistan to begin with, you have much more reason to want to get out of there and move somewhere where you can have a better life.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare