Italy avoiding "Trumpism" (whatever that is).

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Italy avoiding "Trumpism" (whatever that is).

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:30 pm

Berlusconi could save Italy from 'Trump-style' populists: ex-Economist editor
The Local (Italy)

The former editor of the Economist, an influential UK weekly which once slammed Silvio Berlusconi as "unfit to lead Italy", said Saturday the ex-premier could stop populists at the upcoming general election.

"I've not changed my opinion: Berlusconi is still unfit to lead Italy," Bill Emmott said in an interview with the Corriere della Sera daily, in reference to the three-time leader famed the world over for his "Bunga Bunga" erotic parties.

"But he could be decisive in forming a centrist coalition able to prevent the (anti-establishment) Five Star Movement or (anti-immigrant) Northern League from being the driving force in the new government" at the March vote, he said.

The populist Five Stars (M5S), which was founded in 2009 and supports a hotchpotch of policies from across the ideological spectrum, is the leading single party in opinion polls but is slammed by critics as immature and incompetent.

Hmm.

For one thing I know the Northern League isn't merely "anti-immigrant", they are northern Italy secessionists. Nothing remotely similar to that in mainstream US politics.

And trying to relate the Five Stars to US politics "a hotchpotch of policies from across the ideological spectrum", that could be either major US party. The article must be leaving something out.

However, I am already familiar with what Berlusconi is like (or thought I was). I have previously said that he is the European politician most like Trump. Flamboyant billionaire etc.

Is the article simply BS? Or else what exactly am I missing?
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: Italy avoiding "Trumpism" (whatever that is).

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:14 am

Berlusconi was doing Trumpism before Trumpism was called Trumpism.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:10 am

The Economist had a hate boner for Berlusconi more than a decade ago.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:31 am

If Trump owned the New York Times, WaPO, and Disney; he would be something parallel to Berlusconi.

Trump is only akin to Berlusconi in that he's a womanizing amoral person who didn't work his way up the political system.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:35 am

corplinx wrote:Trump is only akin to Berlusconi in that he's a womanizing amoral person with totally awesome realistic hair who didn't work his way up the political system.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:38 am

This guy fucks.

Witness

Postby Witness » Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:58 am

As you said, and as some commented here, Berlusconi ~ Trump so the title is an oxymoron.

The "economist" is probably just afraid of the unpredictable nature of the M5S, preferring the corrupt and amoral, but familiar, Berlusconi.

Abdul Alhazred wrote:And trying to relate the Five Stars to US politics "a hotchpotch of policies from across the ideological spectrum", that could be either major US party. The article must be leaving something out.
Interesting comparison, hope you'll expand on that – for my knowledge of the US of A. :wink:

The "cinque stelle", from the little I know, is effectively a ragtag of (traditional classification) political opinions, from direct democracy to right-wing greens, wavering associations with other parties, euroskepticism yet members elected to the EU parliament, reliance on cyber thingies (e-vote, e-work from home…), pop-culture (they took the V from the Vendetta movie into their logo) and cleaning up the environment (they especially hate incinerators – good luck with the Mafia, which holds that business in the South, i. e. just dumps the trash somewhere).
They make something like 20 – 30 % in the votes. Sometimes more, as they now have several mayors, sometimes less (mostly in the South and from Italians abroad).

And they have interesting rules:
– their representatives get internally elected via the Internet; if you're registered you can vote (I don't know if they can also be dismissed by direct democracy, original soviet style :mrgreen: );
– only one re-election allowed, personal gains strictly limited (if I'm not mistaken, they gave back to the State money they could claim as "election help" and crowdsourced instead);
– nobody eligible with a criminal record (which is hard on the boss himself, Grillo, as he has something from a car crash).

They did well in Sardinia, so the next time I hear from her I'll ask my friend there. Perhaps I'll get some saucy comments… :mrgreen:

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:36 pm

Interesting comparison, hope you'll expand on that – for my knowledge of the US of A.

OK. After your description of Five Stars, I'd say they are like nothing in US politics.

But ...
"a hotchpotch of policies from across the ideological spectrum"

Not an exhaustive list.

Republicans (pre-Trump) -- Love small government and a big military. Big on following the Constitution to the letter and subsidizing religious charities.

Democrats -- Peace and love and a big military. Love farmers, hate rural people.

These are real contradictions, not just hypocrisy (such as the Dems being greenie-weenie in big cities and not West Virginia).
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”