False alarm, everybody relax

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

False alarm, everybody relax

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:08 pm

https://twitter.com/i/moments/952248186231508994

Officials confirmed that the emergency alert warning instructing recipients to seek immediate shelter was sent accidentally.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: False alarm, everybody relax

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:40 pm

Gotta say, love that cool background for the disaster warning.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 pm

Correction issued, great. Why include the picture of the logo? Which is awesome in that governmental way.

https://twitter.com/PacificCommand/stat ... 2859832320

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:36 pm

A "pacific" command.

very 1984.
- new minimalist ethos -

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 pm

Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:20 pm

https://dev.to/ben/the-hawaii-missile-a ... fault-2bid

The Hawaii Missile Alert Was the Software Developer's Fault

The employee who accidentally triggered the missile alert on Saturday pushed the wrong button. It was a disastrous mistake that sent Americans panicking and running for shelter. Needless to say this is the kind of accident that should be avoided at all costs. Check out this passage from the linked Washington Post article. The emphasis is mine.

Around 8:05 a.m., the Hawaii emergency employee initiated the internal test, according to a timeline released by the state. From a drop-down menu on a computer program, he saw two options: “Test missile alert” and “Missile alert.” He was supposed to choose the former; as much of the world now knows, he chose the latter, an initiation of a real-life missile alert.

That's right. The person who made triggered the alert did so by selecting from a dropdown menu and picking the wrong one. That is not a human error, that is a software design error. Failing to account for this incident is absolutely negligent. I'm not sure what other people do, but when I'm designing interfaces with potentially destructive consequences, I do so with a lot of fucking care.

The problem with his argument is that it still doesn't excuse carelessness; it assumes that end users are so incompetent that we must make it foolproof. Which I would agree is critically important for system involving nuclear warfare....and I would stipulate that the end user of a nuclear warfare system should do their job "with a lot of fucking care."
Last edited by Pyrrho on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:29 pm

Yeah, the software design should be better. Which doesn't excuse the user, but still it should be better. It can be more than one person's fault.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:55 pm

Maybe the guy did it for the lulz.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:59 pm

The real moral of the story -- individual blame is just a legal nicety --

You absolutely cannot trust the government to protect you under any circumstances.
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:00 pm

Well that's God's job.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Well that's God's job.

:notsure:

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:16 pm

Wrong thread
Last edited by Pyrrho on Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Pyrrho wrote:https://dev.to/ben/the-hawaii-missile-alert-was-the-software-developers-fault-2bid

The Hawaii Missile Alert Was the Software Developer's Fault

The employee who accidentally triggered the missile alert on Saturday pushed the wrong button. It was a disastrous mistake that sent Americans panicking and running for shelter. Needless to say this is the kind of accident that should be avoided at all costs. Check out this passage from the linked Washington Post article. The emphasis is mine.

Around 8:05 a.m., the Hawaii emergency employee initiated the internal test, according to a timeline released by the state. From a drop-down menu on a computer program, he saw two options: “Test missile alert” and “Missile alert.” He was supposed to choose the former; as much of the world now knows, he chose the latter, an initiation of a real-life missile alert.

That's right. The person who made triggered the alert did so by selecting from a dropdown menu and picking the wrong one. That is not a human error, that is a software design error. Failing to account for this incident is absolutely negligent. I'm not sure what other people do, but when I'm designing interfaces with potentially destructive consequences, I do so with a lot of fucking care.

The problem with his argument is that it still doesn't excuse carelessness; it assumes that end users are so incompetent that we must make it foolproof. Which I would agree is critically important for system involving nuclear warfare....and I would stipulate that the end user of a nuclear warfare system should do their job "with a lot of fucking care."

It seems half my job is making sure that idiots don't tick off the wrong box, press the wrong key or otherwise do what that guy did. And the worst consequences if my stuff fucks up are that some county comptroller gets a nastygram from a vendor because he didn't get paid or some county recorder goes nuts because he or she can't find a mining claim. Nothing with consequences of this scale.

So yeah, I kind of see where the article writer came from. Yeah the end user needs to do their job, but the software should also be designed where a fuck up of that magnitude is difficult to make.
Bango Skank was here!

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:39 am

I would be more worried if the software engineers made the launch software.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:39 am

You guys must be watching FakeNews(TM). I saw that Trump sent that message from almost every elected person and heard it repeated on all the major news outlets. It's "common knowledge".

This is how russians hacked our election, by dupes like you guys listening to FakeNews. You should tune in for the real news with me on good ole CBS.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 am

Yeah well they keep saying it was a dropdown menu and that the fault lies with the software dev/designer/whatever...as yet I haven't seen any screen shots showing the menu. Seems like they are picking an easy target while ignoring procedural problems.

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 am

THE INTERNETS PROVIDES

http://digg.com/2018/hawaii-missile-ale ... -it-happen

@CivilBeat
This is the screen that set off the ballistic missile alert on Saturday. The operator clicked the PACOM (CDW) State Only link. The drill link is the one that was supposed to be clicked.

https://twitter.com/CivilBeat/status/95 ... 20/photo/1

@CivilBeat

The BMD False Alarm link is the added feature to prevent further mistakes

:De_Bunk: :cowbell: :freedom:

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:29 am

To me this absolves "software developer" and puts the blame on the state of Hawaii. Only bureaucracy can produce such a state of the art UI.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:46 am

Grammatron wrote:To me this absolves "software developer" and puts the blame on the state of Hawaii. Only bureaucracy can produce such a state of the art UI.

I can’t speak for Hawaii, but I still do a lot of work in green screen straight out of the 1980s (for about two more weeks anyway). That’s some high tech shit compared to what I am working with around these parts.

Note: we TRIED going to a more modern UI. Our clients largely hated it, because they were used to the green screen stuff.
Bango Skank was here!

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:17 am

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”