'PEOPLE WILL GO TO JAIL'...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: 'PEOPLE WILL GO TO JAIL'...

Postby gnome » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm

I SAID PEAR CLUTCHING AND I MEANT IT!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:31 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:41 pm

If the FISA application abuses are "pearl clutching" then what was Watergate? Certainly far less, since while the goal was the same (spy on an opposition political campaign) the current version used corrupt and compromised government institutions to do it.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:02 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
@radleybalko
Pear clutching over alleged misleading info on the Page warrant applications reminds me of gasps over the no-knock raid on Manafort. When the political class gets the tiniest taste of injustices inflicted on regular people daily, they make themselves into Mandelas.

Probably meant "Pearl clutching..." but yeah.

Radley has Trump derangement syndrome so badly that instead of leading the charge, he's all "well, it happens to the poors and you don't complain...."

His TDS has been painful.... and you know I like Radley.

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Steele not liking Trump is one of the most lol things in the memo. Steele was hired to investigate Page and found a bunch of what he saw as alarming stuff about Trump. Maybe that sort of colored his opinion?

(Direct Examination)

Def Counsel: Officer, during the investigation you were of the opinion my client needed to go to jail, weren't you? Yet you kept on the investigation, didn't you?

Officer: Yes

Def Counsel: No further questions

(Cross examination)

Pros. Atty: Officer, when did you start to develop the opinion that the defendant was likely guilty?

Def Counsel: Objection! That would be improper opinion evidence as that question is for the jury!

Pros Atty: I'm addressing the accusations of bias, your honor. They opened the door.

Judge: Objection overruled. Officer, you may answer the question

Officer: Well, when I saw him covered in blood holding a knife and standing next the the victim, I became skeptical of his innocence.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There are reports that the purpose of the Yahoo information in the petition was to claim that certain information was public, not that it was true. Which given how petitions and warrants work sounds a bit more reasonable.

Also, the danger is that going forward people might be less likely to work with U.S. intelligence if they think political whim might cause them to be exposed. That'a a problem.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:Steele not liking Trump is one of the most lol things in the memo. Steele was hired to investigate Page

And here you start off with a false premise and then use that to run with a false analogy.

"When you have neither the facts nor the law on your side, pound the table."

Steele was hired to investigate Trump, not Page.

Postby RCC: Act II » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:11 pm

WildCat wrote:

Your correction of my typing the wrong name strengthens my point, so lol I guess?

He was paid to investigate Trump, found stuff he didn't like, and admitted:

For example, in September 2016, Steele admitted to Ohr his feelings against then-candidate Trump when Steele said he “was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected and was passionate about him not being president.” This clear evidence of Steele’s bias was recorded by Ohr at the time and subsequently in official FBI files—but not reflected in any of the Page FISA applications.

So yeah, the analogy is spot on.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:23 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
WildCat wrote:

Your correction of my typing the wrong name strengthens my point, so lol I guess?

How on earth am I supposed to know it was a typo? Especially when you still haven't corrected it.

RCC: Act II wrote:He was paid to investigate Trump, found stuff he didn't like, and admitted:

For example, in September 2016, Steele admitted to Ohr his feelings against then-candidate Trump when Steele said he “was desperate that Donald Trump not get elected and was passionate about him not being president.” This clear evidence of Steele’s bias was recorded by Ohr at the time and subsequently in official FBI files—but not reflected in any of the Page FISA applications.

So yeah, the analogy is spot on.

His information came directly from people employed by the Kremlin. I can think of a million reasons why the Kremlin would want to sink Trump's candidacy, the biggest one being that Trump supported policies to deregulate and expand the oil industry which is bad news for Russia since oil and gas accounts for nearly 70% of Russia's exports. More US production means lower prices and less revenue for Russia. On top of that Trump reversed Obama's policies and bombed Assad's forces in Syria and is selling arms and missile defense systems to Ukraine and other eastern European states, which greatly upsets Russia. So the Kremlin feeds Streele informatiuoin to damage Trump.

And despite failing to stop Trump from getting elected they still managed to create political chaos in the USA as the Trump investigation can go on indefinitely in search of a crime.

I can't think of a single reason that the Kremlin would prefer Trump over Hillary, who has a long history of working for Russia's interests.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:57 pm

To strain the relationship between the US and its allies, comes to mind as a possibility.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:32 pm

gnome wrote:To strain the relationship between the US and its allies, comes to mind as a possibility.

Obama was tapping the phones of US allies. Seems to me that would strain a relationship a lot more than Trump's daft or ignorant tweets.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Postby RCC: Act II » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:35 pm

WildCat wrote:How on earth am I supposed to know it was a typo? Especially when you still haven't corrected it.

It being 100% irrelevant who he was investigating would have been a clue. The point in the memo was that he was biased against Trump. He was against Trump because he found bad things about Trump. He could have been investigating Bob Ross and the point remains the same.

I can't think of a single reason that the Kremlin would prefer Trump over Hillary, who has a long history of working for Russia's interests.

Your lack of imagination/information about Trump's benefit to Putin is a different issue. I could theorize a whole heap of reasons why Putin would support Trump, but that has nothing to do with the merits of this memo.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:55 pm

RCC acting as the apologist for the shadow government abusing their police state powers.

So fucking sad...

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:17 pm

corplinx wrote:RCC acting as the apologist for the shadow government abusing their police state powers.

So fucking sad...

That's an excellent debate tactic, corps. How's that working out for you?
I bet he's on the DNC payroll as well.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:19 pm

He should be ashamed. It's a shaming tactic. It isn't logic or facts.

It's a "aren't you supposed to be better than this?"

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:20 pm

You will remember his apologist stance on drone assassinations was "don't care because I trust Obama" as well. He's one of those fair weather civil rights fans.

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:14 pm

corplinx wrote:He should be ashamed. It's a shaming tactic. It isn't logic or facts.

It's a "aren't you supposed to be better than this?"

Well, aren't you?

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:19 pm

I'm not
Universal Law is for lackeys, context is for kings

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 pm

Frankly, I'm god awful.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:58 pm

So corplinx.

Does the amount "they" paid for your soul come out even in Rubles? :p
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:12 am

It's funny how people keep comparing this to Watergate.

Which law was broken or which powers were "abused" and by whom?

By the way, "Investigation" is right there in the name, it's their job to investigate.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Don't forget! March 8th is World Badger Punting Day!

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”