The Government Shutdown

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

The Government Shutdown

Postby WildCat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:44 pm

So how are you guys coping? So far all is calm here for now but supposedly this pic was taken in Pittsburgh less than 2 hours ago...

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Re: The Government Shutdown

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:50 pm

I have ten gallons of gas stockpiled so I can run my generator. and I still have my well, so I can trade water for a gun and ammunition so we can hunt deer in the woods and maybe a few squirrels. Until the FEMA trucks arrive to evacuate us to the camps.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

shemp
Title: gnat

Postby shemp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Pittsburgh's looking rather green and snow-free for this time of year. And even zombies need to dress more warmly for winter.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

Don't forget! March 8th is World Badger Punting Day!

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:41 pm

It isn't in any reasonable sense a "shutdown". My union speaks of lay offs, but it isn't really that either.

It is a negotiating tactic, with some annoyances to the general public. And lots of yelling because it feels good.

Ipso facto it isn't Trump's fault because he is not a legislator, but go ahead and blame the Republicans. :)

To my way of thinking, speaking of which party is at fault is like asking which one of these two is "leading".

In case you are curious -- I myself happen to be "essential". Hey! It's not my call. :BigGrin3:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Trump says the Schumer Shutdown is hurting out military to gives illegals Obamacare. So now I probably can't even go to the doctor unless i Know mexican.

THANKS OBAMA

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:44 pm

WildCat wrote:So how are you guys coping? So far all is calm here for now but supposedly this pic was taken in Pittsburgh less than 2 hours ago...

"Jaaaaaacksonville!"

"It was a caaaaaatttttccccchhhhh!"

"Brrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaady!"

What?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:45 pm

If the Republicans were less into dancing with their partners, they'd just bring it to the floor and let the Dems try an old fashioned filibuster.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Word is that the long-awaited delivery of ponies to the people will be delayed indefinitely.

In other news the price of cheap steaks and glue has mysteriously dropped in locations where ponies are auctioned.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:25 pm

The failure to pass a budget for the past umpteen years which neither party has successfully done.

Lindsey Graham issued a "enough is enough, we have to quit the continuing resolutions game" statement.

I think we're too monstrous to have a simple budget though. The idea is an outdated relic of simpler times.

The funding resolutions allow for more flexible spending depending on economic climate. There has to be some happy medium in between.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:26 pm

"Here is the yearly critical path budget for basic government function", "everything else ad-hoc spending bills". You'd throttle government excess without playing the hostage game.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:45 pm

lol. Republicans own the government under the "master business negotiator", yet it's the democrat's fault for the shutdown.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Pyrrho

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:47 pm

It's like the old "poison pill" strategy corporations use against corporate raiders.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 pm

Remind us where 51 votes breaks a filibuster.

They voted for the shut-down; they own it.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:51 pm

Mentat wrote:lol. Republicans own the government under the "master business negotiator", yet it's the democrat's fault for the shutdown.

You don't know how the Senate works, do you?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:53 pm

Mentat wrote:lol. Republicans own the government under the "master business negotiator", yet it's the democrat's fault for the shutdown.

I am not sure how it's the Dems' fault when the GOP controls both houses of congress and the White House. Right now Democratic congress critters are purely decorative. I suppose if they were filibustering it in the Senate, that would be different. But that's literally the only thing they can do if the GOP wants to do something and that isn't what's happening.
Universal Law is for lackeys, context is for kings

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

Doctor X wrote:Image

Remind us where 51 votes breaks a filibuster.

They voted for the shut-down; they own it.

--J.D.

Is it being filibustered though. I haven't seen that anywhere, only that they can't get enough votes

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:02 pm

The dems are holding it up for DACA, I thought everyone knew this already. They stated their intent to do this.

Why would anyone pretend it isn't them when they took credit?

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:14 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:

I am not sure how it's the Dems' fault when the GOP controls both houses of congress and the White House. Right now Democratic congress critters are purely decorative. I suppose if they were filibustering it in the Senate, that would be different. But that's literally the only thing they can do if the GOP wants to do something and that isn't what's happening.

There could be just three democrats and they would still get the blame. Everything is their fault.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Thing is, if the Republicans were all for the bill, the Dems could stamp their feet all they pleased and hold out for anything they damned well wanted and their opposition plus $10 would buy the president lunch at McDonalds. Again, unless they were filibustering it but I don't read anywhere that's what's happening. So some Republicans have to be breaking ranks or else the Democratic opposition wouldn't mean shit. The Republican control both houses and the Oval Office. Literally they only thing they should need the Dems for is to not filibuster things, beyond that they shouldn't need a single democratic vote. Otherwise the Dems are mostly there as place holders.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote: I suppose if they were filibustering it in the Senate, that would be different.

They did.

That is why 60 votes was needed.

Were you watching My Little Cthulhu Friendship is Unspeakable Madness at the time again?

--J.D.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”