The RW war on us thread

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
RCC: Act II

Re: The RW war on us thread

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:25 pm

Grammatron wrote:
Parody: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

AKA dank memes for teh lulz
You can call it a total failure of an attempt to be parody. It is more like when someone finds some old quirky saying and falsely attributes it to Dr. Seuss. Just not one likely to be found stitched onto a pillow.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:31 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Grammatron wrote:
Parody: an imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect.

You can call it a total failure of an attempt to be parody. It is more like when someone finds some old quirky saying and falsely attributes it to Dr. Seuss. Just not one likely to be found stitched onto a pillow.
Ok but Abdul was basically asking if it was real or not. You've (at the very least) misled him into thinking it was real, likely without knowing either way yourself.

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Grammatron wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

Ok but Abdul was basically asking if it was real or not. You've (at the very least) misled him into thinking it was real, likely without knowing either way yourself.
It seemed clear to me that Abdul was asking more about whether the position was so absurd that this was on its face a joke. That seems to be in line with asking whether it is parody, not whether it is genuine. It's pretty standard right wing rhetoric, so there is no absurdity here.

If he was asking whether it is genuine as to the source, then there was some confusion.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:06 pm

Hey Abdul, what were you asking?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:05 pm

Grammatron wrote:Hey Abdul, what were you asking?
Asking: Is that specific image really from right wingers?

NOT asking: Are there really people who think like that?

Clear?

:roll: <<== Not directed at Grammy.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:11 pm

Thank you.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:57 pm

Florida monkey up follow up.

Doesn't rate starting a new thread and could go in any of a number of threads and I pick this one.

‘We Negroes’ robocall is an attempt to ‘weaponize race’ in Florida campaign, Gillum warns
Jeff Bezos' Blog

If it were a dog whistle — and GOP candidate Ron DeSantis denies any racial intent against Democrat Andrew Gillum — then a jungle music-scored robo-call that has circulated in Florida is more akin to a bullhorn.

If nothing else, the minute-long audio clip is a clear sign of how quickly racism — subtle in some cases, overt in others — has entered the contest to determine who will lead Florida.

"Well, hello there,” the call begins as the sounds of drums and monkeys can be heard in the background, according to the New York Times. “I is Andrew Gillum."

"We Negroes . . . done made mud huts while white folk waste a bunch of time making their home out of wood an' stone."

The speaker goes on to say he'll pass a law letting African Americans evade arrest “if the Negro know fo' sho' he didn't do nothin'."

It is unclear how many people heard the call.

Analysis:
An agent provocateur of course, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which Party benefits.

Maybe an alt-right type just for teh LULz?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:57 pm
Florida monkey up follow up.

Doesn't rate starting a new thread and could go in any of a number of threads and I pick this one.

‘We Negroes’ robocall is an attempt to ‘weaponize race’ in Florida campaign, Gillum warns
Jeff Bezos' Blog

If it were a dog whistle — and GOP candidate Ron DeSantis denies any racial intent against Democrat Andrew Gillum — then a jungle music-scored robo-call that has circulated in Florida is more akin to a bullhorn.

If nothing else, the minute-long audio clip is a clear sign of how quickly racism — subtle in some cases, overt in others — has entered the contest to determine who will lead Florida.

"Well, hello there,” the call begins as the sounds of drums and monkeys can be heard in the background, according to the New York Times. “I is Andrew Gillum."

"We Negroes . . . done made mud huts while white folk waste a bunch of time making their home out of wood an' stone."

The speaker goes on to say he'll pass a law letting African Americans evade arrest “if the Negro know fo' sho' he didn't do nothin'."

It is unclear how many people heard the call.

Analysis:
An agent provocateur of course, but I'm having a hard time figuring out which Party benefits.

Maybe an alt-right type just for teh LULz?
Isn't it obvious?

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare