Why I don't donate to charities....

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
asthmatic camel
Title: Forum commie nun.

Why I don't donate to charities....

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:35 pm

...unless I'm sure my money is going to be used as intended.

Oxfam was scrambling on Sunday night to contain a growing crisis over claims of sexual misconduct by aid workers before a crunch meeting on Monday that could see the charity stripped of its government funding.
The Oxfam row is no reason to cut foreign aid

Amid anger from the government and the wider aid sector at revelations that Oxfam staff in Haiti paid prostitutes – possibly underage – for sex in 2011, the charity’s chair of trustees, Caroline Thomson, pledged to widen a review of its practices to include the Haiti allegations and admitted “anger and shame that behaviour like that ... happened in our organisation”.

She set out the steps Oxfam would take to avoid a similar scandal in future after the international development secretary, Penny Mordaunt, issued a damning rebuke to the charity. Mordaunt warned that it would receive no more public money unless it demonstrated “moral leadership” and handed over all information on aid workers’ alleged use of prostitutes on the island.

One senior figure told the Guardian the charity was already facing “a challenging funding context” with the government before the scandal broke and so losing its state budget – £34m last year – was a real concern.

Source.

Now, I'm really fucking cross about this. People give their hard-earned cash to these overpaid cunts in the belief that they're helping desperate people.

Latest news.
Oxfam's deputy chief executive has resigned over the handling of a sex scandal involving aid workers.

The British charity is accused of concealing the findings of an inquiry into claims staff used prostitutes while delivering aid in Haiti in 2011.

Penny Lawrence said she was "ashamed" and takes full responsibility.

Oxfam - which denies a cover-up - has met with the International Development Secretary in a bid to prevent its government funding from being cut.

Mark Goldring, chief executive of Oxfam GB, thanked Ms Lawrence for her service and said he "deeply respected" her decision to accept personal responsibility.

Ms Lawrence joined Oxfam GB in 2006 as international programmes director, leading teams across 60 countries, according to the charity's website.

I am unable to find out how much Ms Lawrence was paid while this disgusting stuff happened under her watch, Oxfam won't tell me.

:x
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

asthmatic camel

Re: Why I don't donate to charities....

Postby asthmatic camel » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:46 pm

The best I can do is this. Ms Lawrence's boss, CEO Mark Goldring earned around £125,000 in 2016. I'm sure she wouldn't have been far behind.

The charity’s CEO is Mark Goldring CBE.

He has been in the post since 2013, and before that was a Chief Executive at Mencap for five years.

He got his CBE in 2008 for his services to poverty and

His salary in 2012/2013 was £121,294.

It’s reported that Oxfam paid its highest earner between £120,000 and £129,000 in 2016, suggesting he may have had a pay rise since then.

This put them at 126th in the list of charity salaries.

:HoppingMad: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad: :HoppingMad:
Shit happens. The older you get, the more often shit happens. So you have to try not to give a shit even when you do. Because, if you give too many shits, you've created your own shit creek and there's no way out other than swimming through the shit. Oh, and fuck.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:48 pm

There's a charity for helping underemployed prostitutes? Well I'll be.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:09 pm

Oxfam was always obviously evil, even if we didn't know all the details.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:07 am

The article doesn't seem to say whether they used the charity's money or their own money to pay for prostitutes. If it was the charity's money, wouldn't they mention that?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:12 am

"and the wider aid sector at revelations that Oxfam staff in Haiti paid prostitutes – possibly underage – for sex in 2011"

"the findings of an inquiry into claims staff used prostitutes while delivering aid in Haiti in 2011."

Neither of those sentences really makes it clear whose money was used.
William Shakespeare

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:22 am

Does it matter? They were being paid by Oxfam. Oxfam's money was being used.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:41 am

The point being they are harming those they were supposed to help.

It would be a scandal no matter what else about it (if anything) is a scandal.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

asthmatic camel

Postby asthmatic camel » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:07 am

What angers me is that many "charities" are anything but.

They con people into giving them cash and then pay themselves huge amounts of cash which should be going elsewhere.

Read this again...

The charity’s CEO is Mark Goldring CBE.

He has been in the post since 2013, and before that was a Chief Executive at Mencap for five years.

He got his CBE in 2008 for his services to poverty and

His salary in 2012/2013 was £121,294.

It’s reported that Oxfam paid its highest earner between £120,000 and £129,000 in 2016, suggesting he may have had a pay rise since then.

He got his CBE for his services to poverty...

Let's look at the UK average wage, shall we?

Average Salary UK 2016 / 2017. The average salary UK for the tax year ending 5 April 2015 was £27,600. This is a median average and an increase of 1.6% over the 2014 median average which was £27,200. These averages are for full time employees with data taken from the ONS Annual Average Salary Survey.

Many folks give voluntarily to charities like Oxfam from this fairly paltry sum, and have no option not to do so anyway, because the government gives them grants.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:16 am

asthmatic camel wrote:Does it matter? They were being paid by Oxfam. Oxfam's money was being used.

Once my employer pays me, the money is now mine, not my employer's. To me anyway, the distinction is important.

If the prostitutes were underage (the article says they might have been) or trafficked, that would be a scandal anyway. But, I like my reporting to be clear about precisely what the scandal is about.
William Shakespeare

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”