Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 20267
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 228 times
Been thanked: 679 times

Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by corplinx » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:31 am

The Trump administration is a Rorschach test for people's own dementia.

Pick one hippies:
1. England has always been diverse (the BBC SJW drama from last year)
2. Anglo means White

Forget the context of the speech or anything like that or that fact that it was a technical and accurate term, WE CAN RACE BAIT, ZOMG, FRENZY. Here's an idea. If you didn't report on the words out of context, nobody would be worked up about it.

I could blame him for his choice of words, but I guess that's another way of saying she shouldn't have dressed that way.

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 21999
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1428 times
Been thanked: 1280 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 am

Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III. Need I say more? :P



To be fair, the reports I've seen explained what it actually meant, e.g.

Jeff Sessions spoke of the ‘Anglo-American heritage of law enforcement.’ Here’s what that means.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71785
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3429 times
Been thanked: 1259 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:40 am

In short, the legal tradition starting with the Magna Carta.

Not the Code Napoleon nor whatever the Russians or Chinese are using today.

Nor Sharia, nor Halacha.

As I learned when I lived in Albuquerque, in New Mexico "Anglo-Saxon" is a synonym for White Folks (any variety).

Even on official forms for state level affirmative action purposes. :lmao:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Giz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:03 pm

To be offended by reference to common law would be, as racist astronomers say, to display a black hole of ignorance.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33438
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 788 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by ed » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:23 pm

they were niggardly with their praise.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 26083
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2729 times
Been thanked: 2820 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:25 pm

So Anglo-Americans started Sheriffa Law?

I'm shocked.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71785
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3429 times
Been thanked: 1259 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

Really any sort of legal "tradition" is problematic.

The Revolution TM starts in the Year Zero.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33438
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 788 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by ed » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:34 pm

You know, if you major in women's studies you tend to be culturally illiterate.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Giz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 pm

ed wrote:You know, if you major in women's studies you tend to be culturally illiterate.
I dunno, I've met some smart gynecologists.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 33438
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 460 times
Been thanked: 788 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by ed » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:11 pm

Rim shot.

You'll be here all week.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

User avatar
RCC: Act II
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:33 pm

Yeah, he's talking about historical legal tradition. So what. His changes still betray his neo-confederate sympathies, which is the opposite of a surprise.

The short version is that in the south the office of the sheriff was all too often one that worked hand in glove with white nationalist groups. The power and local nature of the office allowed for effective nullification of federal civil rights policies. During the period between reconstruction and WWII, this dynamic led to appalling abuses.

Adding in "We must never erode this historic office" is really where he shows his ass. The Anglo stuff is to be expected from someone whose core political views are mostly based on reverence for tradition.

That something is a tradition from common law era England is IMO an indication that something needs to be rethought, not celebrated.

In that light, It is really unfortunate that the National Sheriffs' Association features a fascist symbol on it's logo. Actually the fascist symbol given a fasces is what the fascist party was named after. Keep in mind this group was chartered in 1940, well after fascism was a thing, and never bothered to change it. So we have an anti-civil rights politician arguing for the strength of law enforcement in front of a fascist symbol.

So, whatever the intent, these people need to get their shit together.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71785
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3429 times
Been thanked: 1259 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:39 pm

OK. Got it.

We already know he's a racist, therefore whatever he says proves it.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
WildCat
Posts: 14102
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:53 am
Location: The 33rd Ward, Chicago
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by WildCat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:Yeah, he's talking about historical legal tradition. So what. His changes still betray his neo-confederate sympathies, which is the opposite of a surprise.

The short version is that in the south the office of the sheriff was all too often one that worked hand in glove with white nationalist groups. The power and local nature of the office allowed for effective nullification of federal civil rights policies. During the period between reconstruction and WWII, this dynamic led to appalling abuses.

Adding in "We must never erode this historic office" is really where he shows his ass. The Anglo stuff is to be expected from someone whose core political views are mostly based on reverence for tradition.

That something is a tradition from common law era England is IMO an indication that something needs to be rethought, not celebrated.

In that light, It is really unfortunate that the National Sheriffs' Association features a fascist symbol on it's logo. Actually the fascist symbol given a fasces is what the fascist party was named after. Keep in mind this group was chartered in 1940, well after fascism was a thing, and never bothered to change it. So we have an anti-civil rights politician arguing for the strength of law enforcement in front of a fascist symbol.

So, whatever the intent, these people need to get their shit together.
That is so fucking insane, and you're so far lost you don't even realize how batshit crazy that sounds to people who don't have TDS.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

User avatar
Giz
Posts: 1341
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:07 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 176 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Giz » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm

RCC: Act II wrote: Adding in "We must never erode this historic office" is really where he shows his ass.
Really? To me it reads similar to saying "we must never erode the constitution " (aka safeguard our ancient liberties ).
RCC: Act II wrote:
That something is a tradition from common law era England is IMO an indication that something needs to be rethought, not celebrated.

Surely it depends on whether it is fit for purpose or could be replaced with something better?

(IMHO, the common law countries have been the world's success stories, so it seems like they are doing showing right. Plus, as I understand it, the adversarial common law system has certain civil liberties advantages over the euro trash inquisitorial Roman law).

User avatar
RCC: Act II
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Giz wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote: Adding in "We must never erode this historic office" is really where he shows his ass.
Really? To me it reads similar to saying "we must never erode the constitution " (aka safeguard our ancient liberties ).
You don't read all that well. He's talking about the office of the sheriff.
RCC: Act II wrote:
That something is a tradition from common law era England is IMO an indication that something needs to be rethought, not celebrated.


Surely it depends on whether it is fit for purpose or could be replaced with something better?
I see you understand the concept of rethinking something, congratulations.


(IMHO, the common law countries have been the world's success stories, so it seems like they are doing showing right. Plus, as I understand it, the adversarial common law system has certain civil liberties advantages over the euro trash inquisitorial Roman law).
In a criminal law sense? No. The adversarial system in the US is generally utter trash on the level of trial by combat. When it works, it works in spite of itself and due to reforms enacted over the objections of traditionalists. In some ivory tower sense, adversarial criminal justice makes sense. In practice in the US, it has devolved into police state bullshit.

User avatar
RCC: Act II
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

WildCat wrote: That is so fucking insane, and you're so far lost you don't even realize how batshit crazy that sounds to people who don't have TDS.
The best compliment I could get. Thanks.

User avatar
WildCat
Posts: 14102
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:53 am
Location: The 33rd Ward, Chicago
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 364 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by WildCat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:30 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:You don't read all that well. He's talking about the office of the sheriff.
And your "logic" is:

Sessions praised the tradition of an elected Sheriff.
Sheriffs in the Jim Crow era were often racist.
Therefore Sessions is a racist.

Can you spot the logic fail?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71785
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3429 times
Been thanked: 1259 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:33 pm

WildCat wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:You don't read all that well. He's talking about the office of the sheriff.
And your "logic" is:

Sessions praised the tradition of an elected Sheriff.
Sheriffs in the Jim Crow era were often racist.
Therefore Sessions is a racist.

Can you spot the logic fail?
No.

"Sessions is a racist" is the major premise. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
RCC: Act II
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
"Sessions is a racist" is the major premise. 8)
Closer to the truth. It would be a premise, just not the conclusion.

I'm saying this is an (pretty mild) example of neo-confederate rhetoric from a person with a long history of this sort of thing. Nothing more.

In a vacuum the statement would be meaningless. Taking Session's history of being hostile to civil rights gives it perspective.

User avatar
RCC: Act II
Posts: 840
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:56 am
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 90 times

Re: Anglo-American..... you know what he meant....

Post by RCC: Act II » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:53 pm

I'll be back after lent. Probably.