Kalifornia

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Kalifornia

Postby ed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 pm

Interesting take on what it means to be an unprotected person in Cali.
We dare not mention illegal immigration in California as a factor in the state’s implosion. But privately, residents assume it has something to do with the 20 percent of the state’s population that lives below the poverty level. Illegal immigration plays a role in the fact that one-third of the nation’s welfare recipients lives in California and that one of four state residents was not born in the United States—or that one-half of all immigrant households receives some sort of government assistance, and that one in four homeless people lives in California.

https://amgreatness.com/2018/02/19/unde ... rnia-mind/
- new minimalist ethos -

Anaxagoras

Re: Kalifornia

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:45 pm

You tend to have more homeless people where the winter weather is mild. Probably not too many in a place like Minnesota.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:13 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:You tend to have more homeless people where the winter weather is mild. Probably not too many in a place like Minnesota.

There's some correlation to climate but it ain't great.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/01/ ... 80940.html

LA and NYC are just homeless magnets.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:26 pm

I notice though that they tend to be sheltered in the cold places.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:29 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I notice though that they tend to be sheltered in the cold places.

Yea, scraping hundreds of dead frozen homeless people off the street every winter morning tends to motivate the building of shelters.

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:45 pm

Damn this thread has taken a turn for the grim.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed

Postby ed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:06 pm

There is a parallel between Cali and Venezuela.

There is a commonality in the lack of awareness that someone, somehow, at some time has to pay the bill.
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:41 pm

I simultaneously wish there was more awareness of that, and that it wasn't used so often to justify being pennywise and poundfoolish. Rationality is becoming rarer, it feels like.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm

"The rich have all the money and do none of the work. The middle class do all the work. The poor (homeless) are there just to scare the shit out of the middle class. Keep them showing up for those jobs!"

--Carlin
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:54 pm

Someone has forgotten to inform all my relatives in California that they live in a dystopian hellhole, a totalitarian nightmare that William Gibson would reject as being too unbeleivable for his cyberpunk novels, moreover one that is remarkably different from nascent utopia that is the rest of the country.

Should I drive down and get them out of there right away or do you think its a East Germany/West Germany situation and I will never make it because the authroties will shoot them for escaping? Should we invade and liberate this vile hive of scum and villainy, this tumor on the beating heart of all that is good and pure in our great nation, squatting on our western border like a animal ready to pounce at the throats of the good citizens of this great land?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:58 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:a dystopian hellhole, a totalitarian nightmare that William Gibson would reject as being too unbeleivable for his cyberpunk novels

You claimed that for the entire country if Trump were to be elected.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:00 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:You tend to have more homeless people where the winter weather is mild. Probably not too many in a place like Minnesota.

You also tend to get more homeless people when nearby states dump them into California.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... 36411.html
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Grammatron wrote:

You also tend to get more homeless people when nearby states dump them into California.

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/ ... 36411.html

Yeah, that was a big scandal here too, one of my local hospitals was one of the ones complicit in that bullshit

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:06 pm

WildCat wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:a dystopian hellhole, a totalitarian nightmare that William Gibson would reject as being too unbeleivable for his cyberpunk novels

You claimed that for the entire country if Trump were to be elected.

Yes, yes. We all know your position. Californians are liberals, therefore untermenschen, subhumans who all ought to be executed for holding liberal opinions. To protect free speech, you know.

ed

Postby ed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:17 pm

http://uscommonsense.org/research/unsus ... l-of-debt/

The unfunded pension thingie is going to bite them in the ass.

Governor Brown’s May Revised Budget reveals that the State of California’s and the University of California’s unfunded pension liabilities have skyrocketed by 22 percent in the last year.
The State of California is notorious for predicting spectacularly high pension investment returns, and then admitting lousy performance. But Governor Brown’s 2017-18 May Revised Budget admitted for the first time that the state’s and UC’s long‑term pension and healthcare liabilities jumped by $51 billion in the last year to $279 billion, “due to poor investment returns and the adoption of more realistic assumptions about future earnings.”

http://www.breitbart.com/california/201 ... ets-by-22/

ScreenShot306.jpg

https://www.barchart.com/stocks/market-performance

Very little pity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Postby ed » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:22 pm

Why would a state not dump the homeless on Cali? If Cali welcomes them and they are a drain on Nevada lets say, why shouldn't Nevada take advantage of Cali? Mexico is, right?
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:32 pm

Wrong question. They certainly WOULD.

Why SHOULDN'T they? Because if every state that actually tries to deal constructively with the homeless problem just gets people shuffled in from states that prefer it to be someone else's problem, those projects will be overburdened. It's like having only a handful of industrious people on a team--sure, they'll pick up the slack for everyone else, but they burn out.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:41 pm

The whole number of homeless is not a relevant stat to the more subjective question of how "in your face" they are.

From personal experience I'd say Chicago much worse than NYC, even if the number of people in shelters is huge in NYC and not Chicago.

It's really the importunate beggar problem. Most homeless are fairly invisible (and not all those importunate beggars are officially classified homeless).
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:42 pm

I think it's wrong to call it a "homeless" problem. It's a "junkie," "mental cases" and "nomad" problem. Very few people living on the street are actually "homeless" people that are seeking help. The latter people are easy to help. Those who are "junkies" and have "mental cases" need to be helped against their will if they are on the street. Those who are "nomads" are welcome to that lifestyle but does not entitle them to living spaces on public land.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

gnome

Postby gnome » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:05 pm

Perhaps a useful distinction.

I first encountered the latter kind on my trip to New Orleans last year. Definitely had its own sort of subculture to it, and seemed quite different from homeless people as I'm used to seeing them in the Tampa Bay area.
--Soldier, TF2

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”