Gun control in the USA (thread to discuss any specific proposed legislation)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: Gun control in the USA (thread to discuss any specific proposed legislation)

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:51 am

I find it not at all amusing that the NRA lives up to their negative stereotype of opposing everything, including the laws described in Anax tentacle hentailinkypoo.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

WildCat

Re: Gun control in the USA (thread to discuss any specific proposed legislation)

Postby WildCat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:27 am

So Illinois Democrats want to make instant overnight felons of millions of gun owners with FOID cards who are no threat to anyone, while pieces of shit like this maggot get caught and released over and over and over again. The Democratic Party politicians are the scum of the earth.

Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:10 am

I kind of sort of think that criminals are going to get guns no matter what the laws are.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:06 pm

True.

There is no perfect solution to problems.

That being conceded, I would very much like some solutions proposed from the NRA and "gun advocates" that are relevant to this and similar cases.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:43 pm

OK, I'll bite.

What characteristics of this case and similar ones would you like to see addressed?

What I see is an incredibly asocial person that exuded every warning sign that one could exude of incipient violence. I see a police force more interested in being PC than protecting. I see the killer buying a gun and using it among defenceless individuals.

That sum it up?
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 pm

Needs to be said again -- It would get "guns off the street" in Chicago if existing laws were enforced.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:16 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:The Chicago gang situation has more to do with an unwillingness to crack down on gangs as such, rather than any specific legislation about guns or anything else.

It's not merely "out of control" crime, it's politically connected crime.

Wildcat would claim it is political correctness, rather than pure corruption. How to distinguish who's closer to the truth?
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:24 pm

gnome wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:The Chicago gang situation has more to do with an unwillingness to crack down on gangs as such, rather than any specific legislation about guns or anything else.

Wildcat would claim it is political correctness, rather than pure corruption. How to distinguish who's closer to the truth?

I don't know what "pure" corruption might be. "Political correctness" is one aspect of corruption, but not the root cause.

"Political correctness" has to do with the rhetoric that lets politicians pretend they don't know what's going on. And gets rank and file LIBBERULz to sit still for it.

But what they are sitting still for is gang-connected aldermen being part of the system.

ed

Postby ed » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:21 pm

If the kids and young adults were telegenic whites the problem would be solved.

Sadly, even blacks write off blacks.
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Postby gnome » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
gnome wrote:

I don't know what "pure" corruption might be. "Political correctness" is one aspect of corruption, but not the root cause.

"Political correctness" has to do with the rhetoric that lets politicians pretend they don't know what's going on. And gets rank and file LIBBERULz to sit still for it.

But what they are sitting still for is gang-connected aldermen being part of the system.

My point is that it may be an excuse, and thus does not really have a solution based on debating the ideology.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:14 am

So today the Illinois House banned sale and possession of "assault weapons" to anyone under 21. Then, more ominously, they passed a dealer licensing bill which will likely drive most small dealers out of business. It will drive all of them out of business in Cook County, because the Sheriff is required to sign off on any license. And there's no way the hair gel POS anti-gun Sheriff we have now will sign off on any gun dealer. Hopefully the GOP Governor vetoes it, but who knows he seems like a fudd to me.

Tomorrow we'll probably get votes on an "assault weapon" ban, as well as a ban on magazines (handgun and rifle) over 10 rounds. Both carry felony charges. I'd like to be optimistic that these won't pass but after today all bets are off. The legislature is running on raw emotion now, and Bloomberg is pouring gobs of money into the effort.

If this passes I'll have to move my ARs out of state, to a summer home my family owns in Indiana. It sits unoccupied 6 months of the year, and the local burglars know that area has a lot of vacant homes in the winter. If this bill passes it greatly increases the odds that my "assault weapons" will fall into criminal hands, there's been half a dozen burglaries this winter of vacation homes on that lake. And I might not even know it for weeks or even months after the fact.

ed

Postby ed » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:31 am

I will take care of them for you.
- new minimalist ethos -

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:42 am

ed wrote:I will take care of them for you.

I may just move down there if this crap goes through. I'm so sick of this state...

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:43 pm

gnome

Postby gnome » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:46 pm

Don't we have a thread for that?

DARAT!!!!

:poutpout:
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:51 pm

gnome wrote:Don't we have a thread for that?

DARAT!!!!

:poutpout:

IIRC, he is a member here. 8)

Witness

Postby Witness » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:24 am

Georgia teacher faces slew of charges after firing shot inside classroom, barricading himself for 30 minutes

A Georgia teacher fired a gun inside a classroom and barricaded himself on Wednesday before being taken into custody.

Jesse Randal Davidson was charged with aggravated assault, carrying a weapon on school grounds, making terroristic threats, reckless conduct, possession of a gun during commission of a crime, and disrupting public school, Dalton Police said.

Cops say Davidson, a Dalton High School history teacher, was locked in the classroom for about 30 minutes before he was arrested. There were no students in the classroom when he fired the gun.

A handgun was recovered from the scene.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/georgia-teacher-custody-reports-shots-fired-article-1.3846859

Well, well… :mrgreen:

gnome

Postby gnome » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Obviously not enough teachers have guns there.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:56 pm

Who are more likely to be mentally unstable? Cops or teachers?

I'm guessing teachers, though admittedly I've set a low bar.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:34 pm

gnome wrote:Obviously not enough teachers have guns there.

It just shows the folly of "gun-free zones" enforced by signs alone. They deter only those who don't plan on causing trouble.

This teacher also had a history of mental issues.

Just over a year ago, school employees and a police officer began searching Dalton High School after social studies instructor Jesse Randal Davidson went missing.

He was finally found sitting on the curb along a street a few blocks from the campus, being propped up by two school staff members, police said.

“I attempted to speak with Davidson as did staff members but no amount of stimulus would draw a response,” an officer wrote in his report. Davidson was then taken to a hospital.

In 2016, Davidson walked into the lobby of the Dalton police headquarters and told a wild story including his suspicions that someone had been murdered, police said. Detectives couldn’t verify that any of it was true, and he was taken to the hospital since he’d expressed thoughts of hurting himself, police wrote in their report on that episode.

...In March 2016, Davidson walked into the police department and told investigators he suspected a woman named Jacqueline Enrique had been slain, and said he’d been having an “internet affair” with her.

But he wouldn’t tell detectives how to reach people who could verify his story and, after a thorough investigation, detectives “were not able to verify that this Jacqueline even existed.”

“It appears the subject may be delusional or have something else that had occurred that is causing him to have these thoughts,” police wrote in their report.

After the interview, he was taken to the local hospital “based on him thinking about hurting himself.”

“The police department did make the school aware that that investigation had taken place when it was completed,” Frazier said Thursday.

Davidson would never have been granted a concealed carry license, and why was he still employed after that bizarre behavior?

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”