Gun control in the USA (thread to discuss any specific proposed legislation)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gnome

Re: Gun control in the USA (thread to discuss any specific proposed legislation)

Post by gnome » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:51 pm

WildCat wrote:
gnome wrote:Obviously not enough teachers have guns there.
It just shows the folly of "gun-free zones" enforced by signs alone. They deter only those who don't plan on causing trouble.
I've always maintained that that effect (on those not planning trouble) is larger than usually supposed. But definitely not relevant to the kind of shootings we're talking about here.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Re: Gun control in the USA (thread to discuss any specific proposed legislation)

Post by WildCat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:44 pm

gnome wrote:I've always maintained that that effect (on those not planning trouble) is larger than usually supposed.
I'm not sure what you mean. Effect on what?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:38 pm

Reducing incidents from people that didn't plan trouble. I'm considering how many crimes are of opportunity or passion rather than premeditated.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:54 pm

More on the Georgia teacher nutcase:
A Georgia teacher accused of firing a handgun in his classroom had three rifles taken away after setting the family car ablaze two years ago, according to a sheriff's report obtained Friday by The Associated Press.

Deputies said they brought social studies teacher Jesse Randal Davidson to a hospital for a mental evaluation and seized the rifles for safe-keeping after he torched the Mitsubishi Outlander on Aug. 13, 2016.

This sheriff's report and two others from Dalton Police show Davidson has been hospitalized at least three times in recent years as people worried about his state of mind.
http://my.earthlink.net/article/top?gui ... 4eedc80f2f

That thousand mile stare... quick get him in a school with children!

Last edited by WildCat on Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:58 pm

gnome wrote:Reducing incidents from people that didn't plan trouble. I'm considering how many crimes are of opportunity or passion rather than premeditated.
How many is that?

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Well, I don't exactly have figures, is there a good way to survey it?

To be honest, you've got me on this one. It's a claim that seems uncontroversial so I've never seriously questioned it. Just the sort of thing that needs some hard facts.
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:05 pm

gnome wrote:Well, I don't exactly have figures, is there a good way to survey it?

To be honest, you've got me on this one. It's a claim that seems uncontroversial so I've never seriously questioned it. Just the sort of thing that needs some hard facts.
Police are 7-10 times more likely to be convicted of crimes than concealed carry licensees are.

https://crimeresearch.org/2015/02/compa ... t-holders/

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:42 pm

I am not really interested in celebrating the prevention of crimes committed by those who do not, actually, commit crimes.

More to point, why does a guy who sets fire to cars, gets his rifles seized, still have a gun and is hire to teach Our Children?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

gnome

Post by gnome » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:57 am

I feel like my point is not being addressed (perhaps I am not conveying it properly), but I am stopping because I stipulate that what I'm arguing about doesn't relate to deliberate mass shootings, and I am frustrated with spending this much time on a tangent.
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Oooh! Oooh! More n-dimensional parcheezi in Hilbert space! :o

Geraldo Rivera: Trump the ‘Only Political Force’ That Can Defeat ‘Gun Lobby’
Breitbart

NRA: We Talked Some Sense Into Trump On Gun Control
Townhall

Note that these are both right wing sites.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:46 pm

But I thought Trump said he "wasn't afraid" of the NRA (his words) like those wimpy members of congress.

Now the NRA "talked sense into him"?

Just saying!
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:24 am

Geraldo and the NRA: Redundant.

Now then: http://www.humanosphere.org/science/201 ... est-world/
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:28 am

Anaxagoras wrote:But I thought Trump said he "wasn't afraid" of the NRA (his words) like those wimpy members of congress.

Now the NRA "talked sense into him"?

Just saying!
Or the NRA thinks they did. Or the NRA is lying. Or the whole story is a lie.

All in all, I have more confidence in the NRA at least knowing what is going on than Geraldo.

As for Trump not being afraid, perhaps the NRA won him over with love not fear. :notsure:
Last edited by Abdul Alhazred on Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:36 am

" with love not rear. :notsure:"

WTF? Anyone caught spreading this sort of faggot agenda on this board spends a night in the box. Now, get that fuckin' dirt outta Boss Kean's ditch.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:43 am

Does this keyboard make my fingers look fat? :lmao:

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:45 am

:lmao:

Thanks AA!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:28 am

Trump was just trying to look magnanimous and open to all ideas, knowing full well that Feinstein's AWB was a non-starter and that due process couldn't come second.

sparks

Post by sparks » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:53 am

"Trump was just trying to look..."

Indeed.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:58 am

It's n-dimensional parcheezi in Hilbert space. AGAIN! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:15 am

sparks wrote:"Trump was just trying to look..."

Indeed.
He had Dianne going...