Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: South Africa Meltdown

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:30 pm

They will be starving next year.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:08 am

Yeah, but you could have said that for any post-colonial African country. And yet somehow, corruption always wins.

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:17 am

Witness wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:06 pm
I find it difficult to get a clear picture. Anyway, here's a quite short article I deem interesting, quoting the conclusion:
South Africa’s Risky Populist Turn

Land seizures are more likely to hurt the economy — and the poorest — than to remedy inequality.

[…]

But South Africa’s need for outside investment argues for resisting the lure of populism. The better way for Ramaphosa and the ANC to deliver results and win votes is to double down on efforts to address South Africa’s fiscal problems; curb the corruption that has eaten up billions of dollars in state investment; safeguard the integrity of its institutions; and improve the delivery of health, education and other public services. Addressing the deep-seated inequities still entrenched by decades of apartheid requires evidence-based remedies, not populist gambits.
https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles ... er-problem
Yes, the distribution of agricultural land in South Africa remains deeply unequal: Whites, who represent 9 percent of the population, still control more than two-thirds of all farmland owned by individuals. But as much as 70 percent of the land that has already been redistributed now lies fallow, thanks to policies that have left black farmers unequipped to manage their new holdings.
They tried land redistribution before (with compensation to the farmers), and what a flaming success it was (and is)...
And the food produced by those farms isn't being produced anymore, which adds to the problems.

Meanwhile, their currency (although inflation is not as bad as Venezuela), has lost value over time....

1.00 Rand = 0.070206 USD

Or, 1.00 USD = 14.26 Rand

Or as your article stated:
The better way for Ramaphosa and the ANC to deliver results and win votes is to double down on efforts to address South Africa’s fiscal problems; curb the corruption that has eaten up billions of dollars in state investment; safeguard the integrity of its institutions; and improve the delivery of health, education and other public services.
So will they do that?
We'll see....
:Popcorn:
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:33 pm

Hmm.

General massacre postponed.

But if I were a Boer right now, I'd still be looking for a country that would take me in, preferably not in Africa.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:56 am

IMF backs South African land reform – with conditions

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) gave its full backing to South Africa’s land reform plan on Thursday – so long as the highly contentious process is transparent and based on the Constitution.

Speaking to Reuters, the IMF’s senior resident representative in South Africa, Montfort Mlachila, said that the reform must not damage farm output to ensure South Africans continue to have reliable food supplies.

“We are in full support of the need to undertake land reforms to address the issues of inequality.”

Speaking at his office in Pretoria, Mlachila said the IMF was not an expert on land reform. However, he said that there is a need to have a transparent, rules-based, and constitutional process that leads to desirable outcomes.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/finance ... onditions/

Not a word about compensation… :|

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Witness wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:56 am
IMF backs South African land reform – with conditions

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) gave its full backing to South Africa’s land reform plan on Thursday – so long as the highly contentious process is transparent and based on the Constitution.

Speaking to Reuters, the IMF’s senior resident representative in South Africa, Montfort Mlachila, said that the reform must not damage farm output to ensure South Africans continue to have reliable food supplies.

“We are in full support of the need to undertake land reforms to address the issues of inequality.”

Speaking at his office in Pretoria, Mlachila said the IMF was not an expert on land reform. However, he said that there is a need to have a transparent, rules-based, and constitutional process that leads to desirable outcomes.
https://businesstech.co.za/news/finance ... onditions/

Not a word about compensation… :|
At least they are worried a bit about farms producing food....
Don't worry, I am sure the natives will be able to farm as well as the white farmers do....right?
Mr. Rogers wrote:Can you say Zimbabwe?
Sure ya can...
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:12 am

Black farm owners battling land grabs turn to AfriForum for help

"The phrase ‘expropriation of land without compensation’ did not induce a lot of emotions to me until Monday because now it is my property and it is not funny at all."

Land expropriation without compensation is aimed at empowering the South African majority, but what happens when unregulated reform hurts black farm owners?

While the practical mechanisms relating to sustainable reform are still being discussed behind closed doors, illegal land grabs have become more prevalent since President Cyril Ramaphosa announced his intention to amend the Constitution.

Unregulated expropriation

The ruling African National Congress (ANC) has explicitly noted that land grabs will not be tolerated – that the redistribution process will be controlled – yet, dispossessed citizens, caught up in the whirlwind rhetoric of expropriation, have taken matters into their own hands.

And while South Africans often hear of land grabs affecting white farmers, the reality of expropriation without regulation is less prejudiced; it’s simply a cycle of dispossession led by the lowest common denominator.

A recent article published by Times Live stands to reason that land has no race, only the uneasy promise of populist prosperity, perpetuated by the powers that be.

Three black Limpopo landowners discovered this harsh truth first hand when community members invaded their land in Onderstepoort‚ Pretoria.

According to the report, on Friday, the Pretoria High Court eventually ordered the sheriff to demolish any “uninhabited” structures on the properties. This, after police initially refused to listen to the pleas of the rightful owners.
More details: https://www.thesouthafrican.com/land-gr ... orum-help/