Facebook and all those other bastards (Ecrasez l'infame)

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Facebook and all those other bastards (Ecrasez l'infame)

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:49 pm

Political Facebook bans -- Not just for right wingers.

Looks like their AI has gone Good Soldier Schweik on them. :lmao:

Facebook blocked many gay-themed ads as part of its new advertising policy, angering LGBT groups (WaPo)

The rejections, the majority of which Facebook told The Post were in error, underscore the company’s challenges in regulating the massive amount of information flowing through its service, an issue that burst into the fore after the disclosure that Russian-state actors used advertisements on Facebook to sow discord during the 2016 U.S. election. But they also touch on a deeper tension as the company seeks to better regulate political uses of its platform. Though Facebook has taken pains to appear neutral, the censorship of LGBT ads, however inadvertent, points to the company’s difficulty in finding a middle ground in a tense national climate where policy increasingly hinges on fundamental questions about race and identity.

Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:23 pm

Instagram is testing the ability to share your precise location history with Facebook

Revealed just weeks after Instagram’s co-founders left the company

Instagram is currently testing a feature that would allow it to share your location data with Facebook, even when you’re not using the app, reports app researcher Jane Manchun Wong (via TechCrunch). The option, which Wong notes is being tested as a setting you have to opt-in to, allows Facebook products to “build and use a history of precise locations” which the company says “helps you explore what’s around you, get more relevant ads and helps improve Facebook.” When activated, the service will report your location “even if you leave the app.”

The discovery of the feature comes just weeks after Instagram’s co-founders resigned from the company, reportedly as a result of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg’s meddling in the service. Examples of this meddling include removing Instagram’s attribution from posts re-shared to Facebook, and badged notifications inside Instagram that encouraged people to open the Facebook app. With the two men who were deeply involved in the day-to-day running of Instagram now gone, such intrusions are expected to increase.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/5/1794 ... ebook-test

Witness

Post by Witness » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:49 am

Facebook sued over video viewing figures

Facebook was aware of inaccuracies in the way it measured how many people viewed video on its site for a year longer than it has previously admitted, court documents have claimed.

Newly released papers that are part of a US legal action against the social network, claim that it knew about the problems in 2015.

Facebook described the case against it as "without merit".

It said suggestions it had tried to hide the issue were "false".
[…]
The error affected a Facebook metric called "average duration of video viewed", which was supposed to tell publishers for how long, on average, people had watched a video.

However, the metric did not include viewers who had watched for less than three seconds in the count.

Discounting the shorter views - including people who had ignored a video in their news feed - inflated the average viewing times for each video.

It was also criticised for counting a video as being viewed after three seconds.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45901287

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:36 pm

An Unlikable Explanation for Getting Rid of the ‘Like’ Button
National Review
The U.K. Daily Telegraph, today:
  • Twitter is planning to remove the ability to “like” tweets in a radical move that aims to improve the quality of debate on the social network.

Sure, Twitter, that’s the problem with the quality of debate on your platform: the like button.

{ rant about what all is wrong with Twitter }

The explanation is such a non sequitur that it raises the question of whether Twitter was thinking of getting rid of the “like” button for some other reason — Not interactive enough? No revenue-generating factor? — and thinks the move will be more popular with the “improve the quality of debate” explanation.
But if it really is to improve debate, I suggest removing the ability to re-Tweet. :coolspecs:

Witness

Post by Witness » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:36 pm
But if it really is to improve debate, I suggest removing the ability to re-Tweet. :coolspecs:
You want to ban our "quote" and "thanks" buttons?!? Nihilist! :x

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:40 am

Witness wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:42 am
Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:36 pm
You want to ban our "quote" and "thanks" buttons?!? Nihilist! :x
We're exempt because we are the anointed of No-GodTM. :coolspecs:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:19 am

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:41 pm

Just checked.

Did not log in, but appears to be up. :evil:

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 pm

I no longer have a facebook account. Nor twitter. They are evil. Fuck them.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:57 pm

I stopped using Google. Now use Opera and duck duck go.

Google is more evil that all the others put together
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:24 am

Check out brave.com

That is now my browser for doing business online, though I still have my collection for recreational purposes.

xouper

Post by xouper » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:18 am

Facebook employees are calling former colleagues to look for jobs outside the company and asking about the best way to leave

Salvador Rodriguez | @sal19
Published 20 Hours Ago Updated 8 Hours Ago

. . . On Glassdoor, a site where workers anonymously review their employers, Facebook is among the best-rated tech companies, with a satisfaction rating of 4.3 out of 5. However, that rating has fallen noticeably during the last year, with a particularly sharp drop in the last few months.

. . . "Once it becomes weird to tell people that they work at Facebook, or once their moms aren't proud of them anymore, that's when people are going to head to the exits," he said. "I think we're already getting there."
:shock:

Gee, it seems a shame that this would happen to such a nice* company.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:59 am

A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:44 pm

'F--- you leakers': A former senior Google employee says a frantic quest to stop internal info getting out is now management's 'number one priority'
  • Jack Poulson, who quit Google in September over its search project in China, spoke about the company’s culture of secrecy.
  • He said managers are more concerned with stopping leaks than anything else.
  • Poulson cited an engineer yelling “f— you leakers” at an all-hands meeting as an example of the attitude to leaking.
  • Court documents and concerned employees have previously given a picture of the extreme lengths to which Google goes to protect its secrets.
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/jack ... -12?nojs=1

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:34 am

So apparently Google CEO Sundar Pichai testified before congress.

Democrats erupt into laughter after Google CEO has to explain to Rep. Steve King that the 'iPhone is made by a different company'

So I guess the big takeaway from these hearings is that Steve King is still an idiot.
At a House Judiciary Committee hearing on Tuesday, Google CEO Sundar Pichai was asked some difficult questions. None was more difficult than a question asked by Iowa Rep. Steve King, however, whose question was literally impossible for Pichai to answer.

King said his 7-year-old granddaughter was playing a game on her phone before an election — most likely King's November 2018 reelection bid — and was shown a picture of the congressman that included some not-so-flattering language.

"I'm not going to say into the record what kind of language was used around that picture of her grandfather," he said.

Then, holding up his Apple device, King asked Pichai, "How does that show up on a 7-year-old's iPhone who's playing a kids game?"
Two things: first of all, who gives a smart phone to a 7-year-old? We refused to give our kids one until they were in high school, despite pleadings and some tantrums. Does he understand what sorts of things you can see on the internet with a smart phone? That's on you as a parent (grandparent) Steve.

Of course, the same sorts of things could be seen on an Android device, but his not knowing who makes iPhones gave the CEO an easy way to laugh off the question and ignore it while making himself look like an idiot.
The Google CEO answered the question by saying, "Congressman, iPhone is made by a different company."

The Democratic staff table erupted in laughter at Pichai's reply, according to Business Insider's Joe Perticone, who attended Tuesday's hearing.

King backtracked and said, "It might have been an Android. It's just … it was a hand-me-down of some kind."
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:08 pm

As usual that comic sucks.

However, I think it misses the point a bit, it wasn't really the headlines that caused issues. Hell we have "clickbait" enter the lexicon because people were going beyond the headlines. IMO the problems begin when Op-Ed's start being included among regular news headlines. That's when internet news morphed into written form of cable news, where factual news is secondary to the overall message.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:43 am

Clickbait headlines are sort of teasers. Like those stupid "you won't believe what happened next!" headlines. I refuse to click on those.

Then there's misleading headlines. Or the "lie by omission". Like the other day I saw some headlines about how the Trump Administration wants to deport Vietnamese war refugees. Omitted from the headline or the subheadline was the relevant information that this only applied to those convicted of felonies. If you don't read past the headline you may get the wrong impression.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:18 am

Facebook Files for Ill-Timed Patent for Feature That Knows Where You're Going (Even Before You Do)

There was a time when the creepiest thing about Facebook was poking people. Ah, that was a simpler time.

Allow Facebook to predict somewhere you are going before you even get there? Probably not what you were expecting when you hit "Create Account" however many years ago.

That's exactly the gist of Facebook's new patent. On December 6, Facebook filed for a patent with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office titled "Offline Trajectories."

Facebook has gobs and gobs of data on its users. It has so much data about us, it could begin using that data to predict what we're going to do next.

The all-knowing Facebook feature

Before you even get to a physical destination, Facebook has enough data to know where you're going. You don't even need to be online.

The new feature would use your previous locations -- plus previously logged locations of other Facebook users, even people who aren't your Facebook friends -- to make predictions about where you're likely to go. Then, presumably, it'd use this information to serve you ads.

"The computer model is generated using machine learning and metadata associated with users who were at the respective candidate geographic location," the patent abstract reads. Translation: This sounds really creepy.
https://www.inc.com/betsy-mikel/faceboo ... s-app.html

Quick! An app to randomize our choices!