Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:11 pm

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... porting-g/
Florida Today reports the group from Rockledge High School in Brevard County briefly walked out of class Friday to demonstrate support for the Second Amendment. . . . Sophomore Chloe Deaton, one of the organizers, . . . wore a T-shirt that read, “my rights don’t end where your feelings begin.”
Image

Much more about this story here:

http://spacecoastdaily.com/2018/04/rock ... y-morning/

https://www.floridatoday.com/story/news ... 473151002/

Where's the coverage of this story in the so-called "mainstream media"?

Anyway, thanks to Cloe Deaton and students like her (and unlike that asshole David Hogg), I feel a bit more optimistic about the future of American civil liberties.

Image

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71708
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3410 times
Been thanked: 1257 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:57 pm

OK as far as it goes, but still not addressing the root causes of school shootings.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:OK as far as it goes, but still not addressing the root causes of school shootings.
Your objection is not relevant to the purpose of this thread. Addressing the root causes of school shootings was not one of the objectives of the student walkout.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71708
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3410 times
Been thanked: 1257 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:10 pm

... relevant to the purpose of this thread ...
What a very bizarre concept. :P
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Rob Lister
Posts: 20014
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:15 pm
Title: Incipient toppler
Location: Swimming in Lake Ed
Has thanked: 606 times
Been thanked: 604 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Rob Lister » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:33 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
... relevant to the purpose of this thread ...
What a very bizarre concept. :P
If there were an award for bizarre, it would win.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:34 pm

Another student walkout in support of the Second Amendment, yesterday in Colorado:

http://www.fox21news.com/news/local/stu ... 1102165382

Where is the massive "mainstream" media coverage of this?

Why is that asshole David Hogg getting all the "mainstream" media coverage, but not anyone who disagrees with him?



(That's what's called a rhetorical question. I already know the answer: "Make America Covfefe Again".)

User avatar
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Mentat » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 pm

Don't be too down, it might get coverage when another one of your nutcase friends shoots up a theater or something. Then they'll get coverage and you get the chance to defend another terrorist. Double win.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:01 am

Mentat wrote:Don't be too down, it might get coverage when another one of your nutcase friends shoots up a theater or something. Then they'll get coverage and you get the chance to defend another terrorist. Double win.
If that was addressed to me, it seems you have mistaken me for someone else.

Those nutcases are not my friends, nor is any murderer my friend, nor have I ever defended any terrorist, nor will I ever defend any terrorist.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 71708
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 3410 times
Been thanked: 1257 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:02 am

So now the Republicans are using ideological human shields.

Maybe they had more provocation, but that's no excuse.

I say the same thing as when the Democrats started it.

Child abuse.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Mentat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:08 am

:roll:
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:12 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So now the Republicans are using ideological human shields. . . . Child abuse.
Then I would expect the national "mainstream" media to be all over this "scandal". :shock:

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47724
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 1489 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:50 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So now the Republicans are using ideological human shields.

Maybe they had more provocation, but that's no excuse.

I say the same thing as when the Democrats started it.

Child abuse.
One thing I like about you AA. You are consistant. You are one of the very, very few people I know who doesn't fall into the "It's bad when they do it, good when my side does it" trap. Even if I don't agree with you.

I think its good for both sets of kids to do what they do. Wouldn't want to stop either of them.
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Mentat
Posts: 10271
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:00 pm
Location: Hangar 18
Has thanked: 37 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Mentat » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:44 am

Consistency doesn't mean being less wrong. I agree that it's good to see them actively promoting something they are passionate about in a non-harmful way. Painting the fact that they are doing such as a political attack is hypocritical in my book. "Screw you because you disagree with children. Think of the Children!" is wrong, but so is "You're wrong because you agree with children, therefore you're manipulating them, so Think of the Children!". It's just a different form of the same argument, and the fact that it isn't partisan just means it isn't doubly hypocritical.

Not to mention being downright patronizing and harmful. We should foster taking the initiative, not inhibiting it.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47724
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 1489 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:59 am

I admire intellectual consistancy because there is so damned little of it. Nearly everyone tends to take the "Everything my side does is right, no matter what it is. Everything the other guys do is wrong no matter what it is" stance. When people do not, I find it refreshing
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:18 am

Mentat wrote:Consistency doesn't mean being less wrong. I agree that it's good to see them actively promoting something they are passionate about in a non-harmful way. Painting the fact that they are doing such as a political attack is hypocritical in my book. "Screw you because you disagree with children. Think of the Children!" is wrong, but so is "You're wrong because you agree with children, therefore you're manipulating them, so Think of the Children!". It's just a different form of the same argument, and the fact that it isn't partisan just means it isn't doubly hypocritical.

Not to mention being downright patronizing and harmful. We should foster taking the initiative, not inhibiting it.
Well said. I agree.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:24 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:I admire intellectual consistancy because there is so damned little of it. Nearly everyone tends to take the "Everything my side does is right, no matter what it is. Everything the other guys do is wrong no matter what it is" stance. When people do not, I find it refreshing
I agree with your sentiment here, even though I am skeptical that "nearly everyone" does that (and yet if we allow a charitable interpretation of your words, that's a minor quibble not worth quibbling about).

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 67841
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3466 times
Been thanked: 2193 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Doctor X » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:39 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:Nearly everyone tends to take the "Everything my side does is right, no matter what it is. Everything the other guys do is wrong no matter what it is" stance.
But everything My Side does is right!

I will pray for you.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47724
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 787 times
Been thanked: 1489 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:29 am

xouper wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I admire intellectual consistancy because there is so damned little of it. Nearly everyone tends to take the "Everything my side does is right, no matter what it is. Everything the other guys do is wrong no matter what it is" stance. When people do not, I find it refreshing
I agree with your sentiment here, even though I am skeptical that "nearly everyone" does that (and yet if we allow a charitable interpretation of your words, that's a minor quibble not worth quibbling about).
I mean nearly everyone quite literally
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:33 am

Parkland student says Clarence Thomas assured him 2nd Amendment ‘won’t be touched’

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... e-thomas-/
By Victor Morton - The Washington Times - Thursday, April 5, 2018

A survivor of the Parkland school shooting said he was assured by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas on Thursday night that the Second Amendment is safe.

Kyle Kashuv, who’s been snubbed by other Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School students because of his support for gun rights and appearances on Fox News Channel tweeted a picture of himself with Justice Thomas.

“An honor discussing #2A and the Constitution with Justice Clarence Thomas. He told me about some of the cases he dissented on and how #2A won’t be touched,” Mr. Kashuv tweeted.
What a rare honor for a high school student to meet with a Supreme Court Justice like that. As one of the tweeters observed, it's a shame it took a tragedy for this meeting to happen.

this is a link to the actual tweet


That reminds me:
www.washingtonexaminer.com wrote:
Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor praised fellow Justice Clarence Thomas during a speech Tuesday, . . .

“He knows the name of every single employee in the building,” Sotomayor told students, according to reports. “I can stand here and say I just love the man as a person. He has the same value toward human beings as I have, despite our differences."
I'm not a big fan of some of Sotomayor's legal opinions, but that comment shows some class.

User avatar
xouper
Posts: 8957
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:52 am
Location: HockeyTown USA
Has thanked: 235 times
Been thanked: 143 times

Re: Florida students march for 2nd Amendment

Post by xouper » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:35 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
xouper wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I admire intellectual consistancy because there is so damned little of it. Nearly everyone tends to take the "Everything my side does is right, no matter what it is. Everything the other guys do is wrong no matter what it is" stance. When people do not, I find it refreshing
I agree with your sentiment here, even though I am skeptical that "nearly everyone" does that (and yet if we allow a charitable interpretation of your words, that's a minor quibble not worth quibbling about).
I mean nearly everyone quite literally
OK, thanks for clarifying. I won't quibble about that because I would prefer instead to focus on the part we agree on.