Examples of self defense with a gun

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Giz

Re: Examples of self defense with a gun

Postby Giz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:03 am

Mentat wrote:Nazi sympathizing dipshits not finding an invitation for criminals to commit crimes against their political opponents? I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

Thugs using dumb thugs for their ends, and the last century is repeating itself.

Was that supposed to express a coherent thought? Care to try again?

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:25 am

It's not my fault thugs drop out of school and lack basic reading comprehension as a result.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:36 am

ed wrote:
sparks wrote:Thanks ed.

Sorry I don't agree with you. But, you'll be happy to note that your opinions have been read and laughed about. :P

That is good. It makes me happy. It means that I have accomplished something, even if it is sort of trivial.

You, on the other hand, have simply caused yet more electrons to be immutably bound up: never to see freedom again. All the while causing slight twinges of nausea in your readers.

I ask you, who will be remembered after they leave this vale of tears with greater love: me, who brought a modicum of amusement to the drear and dull lives of those who have nothing better to do then inhabit a "skeptics" discussion board or you, who irritates readers with willful misunderstanding of crystalline clear concepts and who persists, rodent-like, in weird perseverative behavior constantly harping and picking and adding little while demanding much of the patience of your audience.

Well? Who?

Actually You will probably be remembered much as one recalls a cheap and horrid Armagnac at the expense of a fine vintage that follows shortly afterward. It is as it always was. Gresham was wrong: horror drives out the good.

I hope that you are satisfied. You have destroyed me. I am bereft. I take no joy in anything any longer.

Farewell!

Drama queen! :)
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:48 am

Mentat wrote:It's not my fault thugs drop out of school and lack basic reading comprehension as a result.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:32 am

WildCat wrote:Last year Chicago had 3,561 people shot. 21 of those were legal civilian self-defense, 23 were police shootings. Nearly all the rest were the result of criminal/gang activity, I'd say 100% because I can't think of a single such incident from a legal gun owner.

Has anyone estimated how many of the people who were shot were themselves gangbangers or career criminals vs. innocent civilians?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:39 am

ed wrote:I think that you have two elements to "gun violence". One is the activity of criminal gangs in cities like Chicago, Baltimore and Washington DC. Comparing anything to them suggests that one believes that "getting rid of guns" will disarm these thugs and make the problem go away. I reject that possibility, vehemently.

The other is accidental shootings and criminal misuse of firearms by otherwise law abiding owners. Now, you might snarkily point out that a person that makes criminal use of a gun is hardly "law abiding". True, but I distinguish between a person whose job description is "criminal" and one whose crime is a one off.

A third is mass shootings, which even if it only accounts for a minority of overall deaths and injuries, has an outsized impact psychologically. People care when a madman goes into a school and starts indiscriminately shooting children.

Politically, that's where the real problem lies. I think if it were only the first two which you mentioned, most people wouldn't get so worked up about it (as long as the gangbangers are mostly shooting other gangbangers).
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:10 am

In other words, Anax, so long as they do not shoot tentacles white people, huh?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:17 am

The same principle would apply if it's white mobsters killing other white mobsters. Or biker gangs killing other biker gangs.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:29 am

Anaxagoras wrote:The same principle would apply if it's white mobsters killing other white mobsters. Or biker gangs killing other biker gangs.

Or Tentacle Hentai Heroines Killing [Stop it!--Ed.]

Much like any War Zone of Suck--Northern Ireland, Palestine, Gram's Mom--it would be "fine" if the Cunts simply killed one another.

But they do not.

As with Northern Ireland, the solution is the "Little People" no longer tolerating the behavior.

Meh, but it is far too complicated. So I will return to watching Shaolin Soccer.

--J. "Shaolin Kung-Fu's Great!" D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Postby sparks » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:41 am

"Shoalin Soccer" :lmao: :lmao:
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Doctor X

Postby Doctor X » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:59 am

Trust me.

You have to sort of know Basic Bruce Lee films--he could not act his way out of a wet paper bag--because it is a continuous piss-take on his acting. Sort of like how Airplane is not as funny if Your Culture was not familiar with Airport '69ish and other disaster films.

And don't call me "Shirley!"

--J. "Team Evil!" D.

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamps

Postby ed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:53 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:So who really did win?

ed might have won on points, but his manifest lack of "niceness" is a moral victory for sparks. 8)

Sounds like a participation award.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Postby ed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:02 am

Mentat wrote:Nazi sympathizing dipshits not finding an invitation for criminals to commit crimes against their political opponents? I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.

Thugs using dumb thugs for their ends, and the last century is repeating itself.

Soooooooo .... Do you think that taking that nice moral high ground of not being armed and not wanting anyone else to be either should not be advertised? Why not exactly? Somehow not being armed and letting people know is an "invitation"? So what you are saying is that not letting people know is a defense of some sort.

Not letting them know means what, exactly? That you MIGHT be armed like a growing percentage of your fellow citizens? So you want the benefit while remaining pure in your beliefs.

And this really really morally bankrupt argument accomplishes what? You clearly see a benefit to being armed but you won't give up your virtue signaling. That is perverse.
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Postby ed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:03 am

sparks wrote:
ed wrote:
sparks wrote:Thanks ed.

Sorry I don't agree with you. But, you'll be happy to note that your opinions have been read and laughed about. :P

That is good. It makes me happy. It means that I have accomplished something, even if it is sort of trivial.

You, on the other hand, have simply caused yet more electrons to be immutably bound up: never to see freedom again. All the while causing slight twinges of nausea in your readers.

I ask you, who will be remembered after they leave this vale of tears with greater love: me, who brought a modicum of amusement to the drear and dull lives of those who have nothing better to do then inhabit a "skeptics" discussion board or you, who irritates readers with willful misunderstanding of crystalline clear concepts and who persists, rodent-like, in weird perseverative behavior constantly harping and picking and adding little while demanding much of the patience of your audience.

Well? Who?

Actually You will probably be remembered much as one recalls a cheap and horrid Armagnac at the expense of a fine vintage that follows shortly afterward. It is as it always was. Gresham was wrong: horror drives out the good.

I hope that you are satisfied. You have destroyed me. I am bereft. I take no joy in anything any longer.

Farewell!

Drama queen! :)

Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week. <flounces off>
- new minimalist ethos -

ed

Postby ed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:10 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
ed wrote:I think that you have two elements to "gun violence". One is the activity of criminal gangs in cities like Chicago, Baltimore and Washington DC. Comparing anything to them suggests that one believes that "getting rid of guns" will disarm these thugs and make the problem go away. I reject that possibility, vehemently.

The other is accidental shootings and criminal misuse of firearms by otherwise law abiding owners. Now, you might snarkily point out that a person that makes criminal use of a gun is hardly "law abiding". True, but I distinguish between a person whose job description is "criminal" and one whose crime is a one off.

A third is mass shootings, which even if it only accounts for a minority of overall deaths and injuries, has an outsized impact psychologically. People care when a madman goes into a school and starts indiscriminately shooting children.

Politically, that's where the real problem lies. I think if it were only the first two which you mentioned, most people wouldn't get so worked up about it (as long as the gangbangers are mostly shooting other gangbangers).

As with all else in life, it is marketing.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Giz wrote:
Mentat wrote:And their murderous tendencies.

How is that sign murderous?

Passive aggressive actually. 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

xouper

Postby xouper » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 pm

Giz wrote:

Incoherent indeed.

Those of us who defend the Second Amendment are not at all sympathizers of the Nazis or Hitler, who famously said: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms."

Although gun restrictions in Germany were quite strict prior to the Nazis, Hitler made them more strict (except for Nazi party members, of course). When the Nazis invaded France, the first thing they did was confiscate all the guns.

Thus there's a certain irony in gun grabbers accusing their opponents of being Nazi sympathizers, when in fact it's the other way around. With respect to gun control, liberals have more in common with Nazis than do conservatives or libertarians.

Giz

Postby Giz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:16 pm

xouper wrote:
Giz wrote:

Incoherent indeed.

Those of us who defend the Second Amendment are not at all sympathizers of the Nazis or Hitler, who famously said: "The most foolish mistake we could possibly make would be to allow the subject races to possess arms."

Although gun restrictions in Germany were quite strict prior to the Nazis, Hitler made them more strict (except for Nazi party members, of course). When the Nazis invaded France, the first thing they did was confiscate all the guns.

Thus there's a certain irony in gun grabbers accusing their opponents of being Nazi sympathizers, when in fact it's the other way around. With respect to gun control, liberals have more in common with Nazis than do conservatives or libertarians.

Indeed. Both in terms of means (confiscation of guns) and in terms of philosophical approach (individual rights are to be surrendered in the pursuit of some ideological goal for society ).

ed

Postby ed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:04 pm

Every "peoples" regime disarms the people. Remember that the Nazi's were indistinguishable from the commies for all intents and purposes. Everything was subordinated to the needs of the state which was the ultimate benefactor of the people.

That said: the Fuhrer could indeed dance and the krauts made some fine fine firearms
- new minimalist ethos -

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:30 am

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/60214382 ... lf-defense

According to the Pew Research Center, 48 percent of gun owners say they own a gun mainly for protection. But for years, experts have been divided over how often people actually use guns in self-defense. The numbers range from the millions to hundreds of thousands, depending on whom you ask.

The latest data show that people use guns for self-defense only rarely. According to a Harvard University analysis of figures from the National Crime Victimization Survey, people defended themselves with a gun in nearly 0.9 percent of crimes from 2007 to 2011.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 3515001188

The epidemiology of self-defense gun use: Evidence from the National Crime Victimization Surveys 2007–2011
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”