Title: Moderator

Re: Examples of self defense with a gun

Post by corplinx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Is this an NRA forum now?

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:19 pm

corplinx wrote:Is this an NRA forum now?
There really is no question the end game of "gun control" is confiscation.

If there ever was a case of an organized movement being totally out in the open about their goals this is it.

Yes, even if individual politicians like to keep it ambiguous.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:40 pm

If you would prefer to hang out with skeptics with a strong anti-NRA and anti-2nd-amendment bias (including several regulars who unashamedly and repeatedly attack and disparage anyone who dares to express an opposing opinion), may I recommend Michael Shermer's forum.

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:57 pm

Shermer is a pussy grabbing idiot. And while that alone doesn't say anything about the peeps who post over there, it does cast them in a certain ... light.

However, you still haven't answered the original question.

Evasion noted.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:53 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
gnome wrote:I'm actually curious, how is that different (in effect) from registration? What does registration give to the government that the purchaser records don't?
An easy to use database that makes future confiscation a snap.
I'm making a useful connection here I think--can the authorities access purchase records without a warrant? I mean, under the current status quo that Wildcat describes.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
There really is no question the end game of "gun control" is confiscation.

If there ever was a case of an organized movement being totally out in the open about their goals this is it.

Yes, even if individual politicians like to keep it ambiguous.
I will argue, as I often do, that the intentions are more diverse. I don't question some of it is exactly what you say.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Witness

Post by Witness » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:25 am

The NYT wrote:Oliver North Is Named N.R.A. President

Oliver L. North, who became a household name in the 1980s for his role in the Iran-contra scandal, will become the next president of the National Rifle Association, the gun rights organization said Monday.

“Oliver North is a legendary warrior for American freedom, a gifted communicator and skilled leader,” Wayne LaPierre, the organization’s chief executive, said in a statement. “In these times, I can think of no one better suited to serve as our President.”
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/us/o ... ident.html

:mrgreen:

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:54 am

Fuck.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:11 am

The poster child for making sure weapons are in law-abiding hands!
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:10 am

gnome wrote:I'm actually curious, how is that different (in effect) from registration? What does registration give to the government that the purchaser records don't?
The records aren't kept by the government. If a gun is found at a crime scene they go to the manufacturer with the serial number. The manufacturer tells them which FFL the gun was sold to. The FFL tells them who bought the gun.

So if tomorrow a type of gun is banned the government doesn't know who has those guns. And let's face it, registration is the holy grail of the gun grabbers because then banning and confiscation is far easier. It makes no sense as a crime prevention measure, but lots of sense as a confiscation tool.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:12 am

gnome wrote:Getting away with murder usually does involve not being caught with the weapon.
Discarding a murder weapon with your name on it is the same as getting caught with it.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:15 am

gnome wrote:I'm making a useful connection here I think--can the authorities access purchase records without a warrant? I mean, under the current status quo that Wildcat describes.
They will have to do it manually, hundreds of millions of them. No digital data base. And the minimum steps needed for each of those hundreds of millions is 3. And each one of those steps requires leafing through hundreds or thousands of documents. And that's assuming 100% compliance.

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:58 am

WildCat wrote:
gnome wrote:Getting away with murder usually does involve not being caught with the weapon.
Discarding a murder weapon with your name on it is the same as getting caught with it.
Kind of puts them in a bind, doesn't it? Makes them worry that they won't get away with shooting the person that they're pissed off at. That sounds like deterrent to me.

The argument that the ability to get purchaser records is of similar effectiveness and less information in the hands of government is better than this. I don't know where you're going with this tack.
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:15 am

gnome wrote:
WildCat wrote:
Kind of puts them in a bind, doesn't it? Makes them worry that they won't get away with shooting the person that they're pissed off at. That sounds like deterrent to me.

The argument that the ability to get purchaser records is of similar effectiveness and less information in the hands of government is better than this. I don't know where you're going with this tack.
I still have no idea why you think registration is a deterrent. Do you think that after every shooting police go door to door to confiscate and ballistic test every registered firearm to see if that was the one used in the shooting?

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:15 pm

If a weapon is found they can connect it with a suspect. If a suspect has the weapon they can check that specific weapon.

It makes the first choice (discarding) riskier.
--Soldier, TF2

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:59 pm

gnome wrote:If a weapon is found they can connect it with a suspect. If a suspect has the weapon they can check that specific weapon.

It makes the first choice (discarding) riskier.
If they have enough on a suspect to get a search warrant they don't need registration. And a discarded weapon can be traced to the owner without registration.

And, of course, any weapon can be rendered untraceable simply by grinding off the serial number.

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:11 pm

Just because registration has never worked and people can’t explain how it could work, doesn’t prove it can’t work next time!
- (argument borrowed from the commies)

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:17 pm

Before you pass on whether something "works" you must be quite certain what they are hoping to accomplish.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:03 pm

WildCat wrote:And a discarded weapon can be traced to the owner without registration.
That's the best point you've made, I think.
--Soldier, TF2

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:45 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.