Examples of self defense with a gun

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
xouper

Re: Examples of self defense with a gun

Post by xouper » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:20 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/30/us/stand-your-ground-polk-county-uber-driver/index.html wrote:
'You know I got a pistol?' the man yelled. So the Uber driver shot him
By Darran Simon, Jamiel Lynch and Eric Levenson, CNN
Updated 10:53 AM ET, Thu August 30, 2018

(CNN) After a heated text message exchange with his on-again, off-again girlfriend, Jason Boek followed an Uber he thought was giving her a ride home.

Driving along a dark stretch of two-lane road in central Florida, Boek swerved his pickup truck early Tuesday morning in front of the rideshare car.

Uber driver Robert Westlake slammed on his brakes.

They narrowly avoided a crash and stopped in the middle of the roadway.

Then, Boek jumped out of his truck and quickly walked toward Westlake's Hyundai Elantra.

"You know I got a pistol?" Boek said, holding an object in the air. "You want me to f****** shoot you?"

Bang. With one shot, the Uber driver killed him.

The fatal confrontation, captured on Westlake's dash camera, . . .

. . . "This is a justifiable homicide all day long. You have the right protect yourself," Sheriff Grady Judd said Wednesday. "This was the intent of the law."

. . . And Westlake, 38, was no ordinary Uber driver. He's a licensed armed security guard who holds a concealed weapons permit and who had just completed training to be a police officer.

. . . The sheriff's office said Westlake is cooperating with the investigation. And the sheriff wanted this much to be clear: "Here's a message for the hotheads of the community: Don't do that stuff," Judd said. "Good people carry guns and they will shoot you. A lot. Graveyard dead."

. . . [Uber] policy prohibits drivers and passengers from carrying firearms while using the Uber app to the extent permitted by local law.
This is yet another example that destroys the gun-grabber narrative.

I do not fear armed people like Westlake.

Nor do I fear the armed Floridians I know personally. In fact I feel safer knowing they are around. They are solid citizens of good moral character.

Perhaps I should cross-post this in ed's thread: Why Florida is an awsome place to live.

Edited to add: viewtopic.php?p=927942#p927942

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:35 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 am

More details here:

https://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/20 ... obber.html

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:26 am

xouper wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 am
Some people have argued that the son and daughter should not have had access to that gun.

Obviously I am not one of them.
With 20-20 hindsight, I guess it's easy to say that it's a good thing in this particular case that the children were able to retrieve the gun. Sometimes though, in other cases, children being able to get their hands on firearms has led to tragic events.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:43 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:26 am
xouper wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:35 am
Some people have argued that the son and daughter should not have had access to that gun.

Obviously I am not one of them.
With 20-20 hindsight, I guess it's easy to say that it's a good thing in this particular case that the children were able to retrieve the gun. Sometimes though, in other cases, children being able to get their hands on firearms has led to tragic events.
Yes, good point.

Some parents are better at that than others.

When guns in the hands of children leads to tragic outcomes, that's on the parents.

In general, I prefer not to restrict the freedoms of responsible people merely because some people are irresponsible.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:18 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:59 am
That was over 5 years ago.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm

Ah, well, my mistake. I wasn't aware that the statute of limitations on stupidity had run out.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:48 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm
Ah, well, my mistake. I wasn't aware that the statute of limitations on stupidity had run out.
It was directed more at the person who tweeted it than you.

Pyrrho

Post by Pyrrho » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 pm

WildCat wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:48 pm
Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:47 pm
It was directed more at the person who tweeted it than you.
Still...I usually check on these things...although this one has a good vibe to it, lessened only by the assailant not receiving a load of buckshot in the ass. Although one might suspect that a) it was staged and b) the victim knew better than to fire a shotgun that was sawed off to that extent.

xouper

Post by xouper » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:16 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:01 pm
Still...I usually check on these things...although this one has a good vibe to it, lessened only by the assailant not receiving a load of buckshot in the ass. Although one might suspect that a) it was staged and b) the victim knew better than to fire a shotgun that was sawed off to that extent.
Thank you for posting it anyway, since it was one I hadn't seen before.

And since it was an older example, we get the benefit of followup information, such as the bad guy got sentenced to seven years in jail contingent upon completing his GED while there.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:19 am

Citizen with concealed carry permit shot at suspect who shot at Cicero officer: police
CICERO, Ill. -- Authorities said a citizen who had a concealed carry permit shot at the person suspected of shooting at a Cicero police officer on Thursday.

A Cicero officer, identified as 31-year-old Luis Duarte, who officials said is a four-year veteran of the force, was shot multiple times around 5 p.m. Thursday near the Cicero Avenue entrance ramp on I-55 on the border of Chicago and Cicero.

During a press conference, Cicero Police Superintendent Jerry Chlada said officers attempted to make a traffic stop on a vehicle near 3900 South Cicero Avenue. The car refused to stop and officers were able to box him in at the entrance ramp. Chlada said the subject exited the vehicle and shot multiple rounds, striking an officer multiple times. The officer was shot four times.

The offender attempted to flee and another cop followed him on foot. The offender began firing shots once again, Chlada said. That's when a citizen with a concealed carry permit opened fire at the suspect.

The suspect was shot one time and taken to Stroger Hospital in serious condition. He is under Chicago police custody. It is unclear if the citizen struck the suspect, according to authorities.

Duarte is undergoing surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital and was stabilized. A Cicero spokesperson initially said the officer was in serious condition.

Police are asking the public to keep the officer and his family in their thoughts and prayers.

Cicero police officers do not have bodycams.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:08 am

WildCat wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:19 am
Citizen with concealed carry permit shot at suspect who shot at Cicero officer: police
CICERO, Ill. -- Authorities said a citizen who had a concealed carry permit shot at the person suspected of shooting at a Cicero police officer on Thursday.
This seems to be an example of the scenario that anti-gun advocates like to use to claim that the police will not know how to tell the good guys from the bad guys when the good guys with concealed carry get involved.

It seems however that in this particular example, the police were able to make that determination and the good guy with a gun did not get shot by the police.

I suppose it has happened, though, that a good guy got shot by the police by mistake, but that is not a good enough reason to take guns away from the good guys. In essence the anti-gun advocates seem to be arguing that it is for their own good that the good guys should not have a gun, but I reject that argument on the grounds that such a decision is not theirs to make, and that the decision belongs to the good guy, not the anti-gun advocates.