New push to enforce gun laws

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

New push to enforce gun laws

Post by ed » Mon May 07, 2018 11:17 am

Urged by Attorney General Jeff Sessions to punish offenders as harshly and as quickly as possible, federal prosecutors have increasingly pursued low-level gun possession cases, according to law enforcement officials and an examination of court records and federal crime statistics. Mr. Amos’s conviction was part of the Justice Department’s broad crackdown on gun violence during the first 15 months of the Trump administration.

Mr. Sessions is putting into action his own long-held views on criminal justice, forged as a United States attorney in Alabama during the drug war. They reflect a philosophy popular among conservatives and long backed by the gun lobby: that the effective enforcement of existing laws can reduce crime without resorting to the passage of additional legislation.

“I believe very strongly in enforcing gun laws,” Mr. Sessions said in aninterview with the far-rightBreitbart News this year. “I believe there’s no value in having them on the books if they’re not prosecuted.”
Snark is noted...

This is good shit, right?

Not so fast there ...
Mr. Sessions’s approach has touched off a debate about whether he is making the country safer from violent crime, as he and President Trump have repeatedly vowed to do, or devoting resources to low-level prosecutions that could instead be put toward pursuing bigger targets like gun suppliers.

“It’s a good idea to enforce the existing gun laws,” said Avery Gardiner, co-president of The Brady Campaign, a nonprofit coalition that works to combat gun violence. “That’s something prosecutors should do. But going only after the people who are purchasing the guns illegally is only part of the story.”
What about cops?
Local police, who have for years sought more muscle from federal law enforcement, welcomed Mr. Sessions’s more aggressive approach.

“We have been trying to send a message,” said J. Thomas Manger, president of the Major Cities Chiefs Association, which represents police departments across the country. “The bad guys have a real fear of federal prosecutions versus state prosecutions.”
And why might this be a good idea? Regular readers of this forum know that
Penalties for federal gun convictions are steep. On average, firearms defendants spend six years in federal prison. If they are convicted under the two statutes requiring mandatory minimum sentences, that average jumps to 11 years.
Read the whole thing here
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/07/us/p ... v=top-news

They evidentally searched for someone to disagree and found a person who provided this rather peculiar quote:
“Enforcement isn’t always the solution to those different types of crimes,” said Inimai Chettier, director of the justice program at New York University’s Brennan Center for Justice. “The result might be to increase the federal prison population without a correlating reduction in crime.”
Ummmmm .... ok

Wait till they find the racial disparity. :D
- new minimalist ethos -

gnome

Re: New push to enforce gun laws

Post by gnome » Mon May 07, 2018 12:04 pm

He can go for it on this one as far as I'm concerned. I would be interested in the results.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Mon May 07, 2018 12:08 pm

Felons who get caught with guns will not be using them as long as they are locked up.

There is really nothing equivocal about it.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon May 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Existing gun laws are not to be enforced (because enforcement is not The AnswerTM) therefore we need lots of new laws not to enforce. :)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon May 07, 2018 3:00 pm

You presume the goal is to prevent death. The goal is to:
- persecute the opposing political tribe
- pump up your base
- feel good