GOP Senate report says Obama officials gave Iran access to U.S. financial system

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

GOP Senate report says Obama officials gave Iran access to U.S. financial system

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:53 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-senate ... d=52659681

Just in case anybody want to discuss this actual story rather than just rag on lefties who aren't even here about how they spin Obama stuff in general.

Opening gambit:

"Access" to the financial system is a rather ambiguous description. What Obama did was give them the same courtesy that a country not at war with us would have.

I can think of several reasons why this is a bad thing, though not outright illegal.

Any takers? :notsure:
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Mentat

Re: GOP Senate report says Obama officials gave Iran access to U.S. financial system

Postby Mentat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 am

It was all part of B. Gazi's master plan.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: GOP Senate report says Obama officials gave Iran access to U.S. financial system

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:18 am

The GOP Senate is, of course, racist.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:36 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:GOP Senate report says Obama officials gave Iran access to U.S. financial system
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/gop-senate ... d=52659681

Just in case anybody want to discuss this actual story rather than just rag on lefties who aren't even here about how they spin Obama stuff in general.

Opening gambit:

"Access" to the financial system is a rather ambiguous description. What Obama did was give them the same courtesy that a country not at war with us would have.

I can think of several reasons why this is a bad thing, though not outright illegal.

Any takers? :notsure:

It was something within the spirit of the deal. It was probably technically illegal but not a bad thing IMO. Lessening sanctions is not very meaningful when Iran has little or no access to the international banking system. International banks not directly restricted by the US sanctions are scared enough of US clout that they aren't willing to go against the sanctions denying Iran access. Allowing the Iranians a few transactions here or there for the purpose of business that is otherwise no longer under sanction just doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:46 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:It was something within the spirit of the deal. It was probably technically illegal but not a bad thing IMO.

Technically illegal is illegal with an extra word.
Lessening sanctions is not very meaningful when Iran has little or no access to the international banking system. International banks not directly restricted by the US sanctions are scared enough of US clout that they aren't willing to go against the sanctions denying Iran access. Allowing the Iranians a few transactions here or there for the purpose of business that is otherwise no longer under sanction just doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Having the executive branch attempt to circumvent legislative authority and try to deny it is a big deal IMO.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:11 pm

Is different because Obama, Gram.

Why are you so racist?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Postby RCC: Act II » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:46 pm

Grammatron wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:It was something within the spirit of the deal. It was probably technically illegal but not a bad thing IMO.

Only to those with little understanding of how law works in the real world. Discretion is built into the system for a reason beyond assholes using it in bad faith.

Lessening sanctions is not very meaningful when Iran has little or no access to the international banking system. International banks not directly restricted by the US sanctions are scared enough of US clout that they aren't willing to go against the sanctions denying Iran access. Allowing the Iranians a few transactions here or there for the purpose of business that is otherwise no longer under sanction just doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Having the executive branch attempt to circumvent legislative authority and try to deny it is a big deal IMO.

Is this one of those principle things where we fan ourselves in indignation over an illegality without considering context? Those are boring.

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:09 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

Only to those with little understanding of how law works in the real world. Discretion is built into the system for a reason beyond assholes using it in bad faith.

Is this one of those principle things where we fan ourselves in indignation over an illegality without considering context? Those are boring.

I get why you are being condescending to my snarky comments, and I also think that your position is reasonable. I just don't understand why you chose to not apply this reasonable view point to current administration.

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Like being a little bit pregnant.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Postby RCC: Act II » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 pm

WildCat wrote:

Like being a little bit pregnant.

Comparing two things that have nothing to do with each other isn't all that clever. Even so, you can be a little bit pregnant. This is reflected in abortion jurisprudence.

Postby RCC: Act II » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Grammatron wrote:
RCC: Act II wrote:
Grammatron wrote:

I get why you are being condescending to my snarky comments, and I also think that your position is reasonable. I just don't understand why you chose to not apply this reasonable view point to current administration.

I do. They wallow in bad faith to a degree that is absurd even in the context of politics, so it doesn't come up much.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:10 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:I do. They wallow in bad faith to a degree that is absurd even in the context of politics, so it doesn't come up much.

Point taken in a general way, but there is no degree of wallowing in bad faith that is absurd in the context of politics.

That's what politics is. A wallowing in bad faith can-you-top-this contest.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:51 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:I do.

I won't go through posts for any "gotcha!" quotes, but I will say that your exchanges with me and others on the topic of Trump has left me with the opposite conclusion. I suppose it could be me misunderstanding your posts.
They wallow in bad faith to a degree that is absurd even in the context of politics, so it doesn't come up much.

To me it just looks like regular politics.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”