I feel so much safer now that these criminals have been rounded up

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

I feel so much safer now that these criminals have been rounded up

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:30 am

Residents of Sandusky, Ohio can sleep easier tonight after ICE agents rounded up a ruthless gang of Mexican criminals who were taking jobs from unsuspecting Americans.

‘Utter chaos’: ICE arrests 114 workers in immigration raid at Ohio gardening company
A swarm of immigration agents arrested more than 100 workers at an Ohio gardening and landscaping company Tuesday morning, one of the largest of several recent workplace raids carried out as part of the Trump administration’s crackdown on immigration enforcement.

About 200 federal officers blitzed two locations of Corso’s Flower and Garden Center — one in Sandusky, on the shoreline of Lake Erie, and another in nearby Castalia, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement told the Associated Press.

Agents surrounded the perimeter of the Castalia location, blocking off nearby streets as helicopters flew overhead, AP and local television stations reported. They arrested 114 workers suspected of being in the country illegally and loaded many onto buses bound for ICE detention facilities. Dozens of the workers’ children were left stranded at day-care centers and with babysitters, local activists wrote on social media.

Officials expect to charge the undocumented workers with identity theft and tax evasion. They reviewed 313 employee records and found that 123 were suspicious, agency officials told the AP. ICE is also investigating the role the employer played in hiring the undocumented immigrants but has not yet filed charges against the family business, said Khaalid Walls, an agency spokesman.
The agency’s acting director, Thomas D. Homan, who will be retiring this month, said last year that he had ordered agents to increase the number of worksite inspections and operations by “four or five times” this year. The aggressive efforts, Homan said, are meant to deter people from entering the country illegally and “protect jobs for American workers.”

Well, that's a relief. I think we can all breathe a little easier knowing these desperados are safely in custody and won't be mowing anyone's lawns or weeding their gardens. :freedom:
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Re: I feel so much safer now that these criminals have been rounded up

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:42 am

And then Trump released a drug dealer who only served 20-odd years of her life sentence for a non-violent crime!

:freedom:

However, for them I have no sympathy. If I were in Japan, would I be allowed to stay? Work?

Germany?

Mexico?

Neither side wishes to deal with the reality, so you get what we have this week.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!
AL East Champs!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:17 am

Doctor X wrote:And then Trump released a drug dealer who only served 20-odd years of her life sentence for a non-violent crime!

:freedom:

However, for them I have no sympathy. If I were in Japan, would I be allowed to stay? Work?

Germany?

Mexico?

Neither side wishes to deal with the reality, so you get what we have this week.

--J.D.
Isn't that sort of an easier position to take when you have the good fortune to be born in a first-world country to begin with?

What if you had the misfortune to be born in Somalia, or Guatamala, or Cleveland Canada?

Americans have the luxury to choose to live pretty much anywhere they want to.

It's not impossible to live and work in Japan, Germany or Mexico, or other countries as an American. It just takes a little patience and paperwork. You don't even necessarily have to marry a Japanese to do it. You could get a work visa to come work here. And of course, it's not impossible for Mexicans to come work in America legally either, but there are quotas, upper limits set by the government, so the number who can legally come is capped. With Japan, I think the number of Americans who actually want to live in Japan is not more than the Japanese government is willing to accept.
William Shakespeare

Giz

Post by Giz » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:15 am

A government has the right to determine who may enter its sovereign territory.

The people have the right to tell the government, via elections, who they think should be allowed to enter (whether on economic or compassionate grounds).

Obviously, this may disadvantage citizens of other countries as they don’t get a say... but it’s not necessarily different in principle to the USA refusing to increase to tax rates, the proceeds of which would go on foreign aid, despite what the rest of the world would like.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:40 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Isn't that sort of an easier position to take when you have the good fortune to be born in a first-world country to begin with?

What if you had the misfortune to be born in Somalia, or Guatamala[Sic--Ed.], or Cleveland Canada?
So Japan, Germany, Mexico lets in everyone from Somalia, Guatemala . . . I mean we cannot judge any country for denying Cleveland Canada . . . ?

Thought they may consider working to improve their country, nevertheless:
"Luxury?" So someone from Newark can live in Bel Aire?
It's not impossible to live and work in Japan, Germany or Mexico, or other countries as an American. It just takes a little patience and paperwork.
Oh . . . you mean LEGAL!

Nor does it in Freedom.
You don't even necessarily have to marry a Japanese to do it. You could get a work visa to come work here.
With the 70% of office women who sleep with their coworkers?

Again, I ask for a friend.
And of course, it's not impossible for Mexicans to come work in America legally either, but there are quotas, upper limits set by the government, so the number who can legally come is capped.
It is not that bad. However, I return to my point that if people consider those quotas "unfair," you change the law. The Dems never did when they had control for some odd reason.
With Japan, I think the number of Americans who actually want to live in Japan is not more than the Japanese government is willing to accept.
Which is a separate subject. Japan is far away, the language barrier is is very high, so unless you have a job where English is tolerated, your opportunities are limited. There are not large neighborhoods where everything is written in English. When you pick up a phone, it does not ask you to press "2" to get English.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

AL East Champs!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:24 am

Anaxagoras wrote: What if you had the misfortune to be born in Somalia, or Guatamala, or Cleveland Canada?
What if you had a misfortune to be born in South Korea in the 1960's but your children and grand children are now wealthy?

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:48 am

Emotion is here, as always, the lousiest basis for creation of policy.
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:45 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Isn't that sort of an easier position to take when you have the good fortune to be born in a first-world country to begin with?

What if you had the misfortune to be born in Somalia, or Guatamala, or Cleveland Canada?

It's not impossible to live and work in Japan, Germany or Mexico, or other countries as an American. It just takes a little patience and paperwork. You don't even necessarily have to marry a Japanese to do it. You could get a work visa to come work here. And of course, it's not impossible for Mexicans to come work in America legally either, but there are quotas, upper limits set by the government, so the number who can legally come is capped. With Japan, I think the number of Americans who actually want to live in Japan is not more than the Japanese government is willing to accept.
So enforcement of immigration laws in Japan is good, enforcement of immigration laws in the USA is bad?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 07, 2018 1:50 pm

So Anax, do we just stop arresting all criminals who do not do violence?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed

Post by ed » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:06 pm

I always thought Anax was shifty like.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:24 pm

WildCat wrote: So enforcement of immigration laws in Japan is good, enforcement of immigration laws in the USA is bad?
Who said anything about immigration laws in Japan? Are you assuming that because I live in Japan I agree with every policy of their government?
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:25 pm

ed wrote:I always thought Anax was shifty like.
Says the weirdo who doesn't like pancakes.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Hey ed!

Anax sure has your number! 8)
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:37 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
WildCat wrote: So enforcement of immigration laws in Japan is good, enforcement of immigration laws in the USA is bad?
Who said anything about immigration laws in Japan? Are you assuming that because I live in Japan I agree with every policy of their government?
You're the one who brought up immigration in Japan, which is far more restricted than immigration in the USA.

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:40 pm

And to extend the point further it's all but the official policy of the Democratic Party, which Anax seems to support, that the USA should open its doors to any impoverished 3rd-world person who wants to live here. Taken to the logical extreme that could result in literally billions of people moving here. At which point the USA would be just another 3rd-world shithole with a destroyed, polluted environment.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:51 pm

WildCat wrote:You're the one who brought up immigration in Japan, which is far more restricted than immigration in the USA.
Actually Doctor X was the first one to mention Japan in this thread. I was responding to him.

It's really a sort of tu quoque argument. It's rare for conservatives to justify policies on the grounds that other countries have those policies. Other countries have more affordable health care too, but you don't see Republicans saying we should make our health care system more like Japan's. When it come to immigration though it's "Oh, we should be more like other countries."
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:00 pm

It is actually not a tu quoque fallacy. I merely recognized what happens in other countries, including Japan and the home countries of such. It would prove curious to expect the US to behave differently.

This I did in response to an appeal to misery fallacy.

I also noted the obvious that the problem is complex, with neither general side offering feasible solutions.

--J.D.

AL East Champs!!

ed

Post by ed » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:06 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Hey ed!

I am now surrounded by fucking Ninjas ... again :x :x :x

Give me a minute to sort them

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:59 pm

ed wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Hey ed!

I am now surrounded by fucking Ninjas ... again :x :x :x

Give me a minute to sort them
The Indiana Jones solution is quite effective.

ed

Post by ed » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:33 pm

ScreenShot258.jpg
Problem sorted.

Welcome indeed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.