I feel so much safer now that these criminals have been rounded up

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Anaxagoras

Re: I feel so much safer now that these criminals have been rounded up

Postby Anaxagoras » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:44 pm

Anyway, according to recent jobs numbers unemployment is at a 48-year low and there are now more job openings that unemployed people.

Heard this on the radio this morning:

https://www.marketplace.org/2018/06/07/ ... strictions

Long-term health care industry vexed by immigration restrictions

By Dan Gorenstein
June 07, 2018 | 12:10 PM

Fred works the early shift at Bethany Health Care Center, a Catholic nursing home in Framingham, Massachusetts. He’s up at 4 a.m. every day, washing clothes and bedding for the hundred-plus residents.

Last year the Trump administration ended a program that allowed 60,000 Haitians, including Fred, to live and work in the U.S. after the devastating 2010 earthquake. Fred's temporary protected status expires in July.

"It’s affecting me," Fred said (we're not using his last name because he fears deportation). "The way I live my life. Like right now, I’m shaking. My voice is shaking, and this happens every day to be honest."

If Fred is deported, the nursing home will struggle to replace him. The long-term care industry relies on immigrants to fill relatively low-paying jobs, from laundry workers to home health care aides.

Ten-thousand people hit age 65 each day. According to federal health officials, half of these baby boomers will need some kind of long-term care, like a nursing home, or a home health aide.

The long-term care industry is already facing a labor shortage. And now, plans to cut immigration threaten to make the problem worse.

"Without immigrants in long-term care, our long-term care system would really collapse," said Stephen Campbell, a policy researcher at PHI, a group that promotes quality care for seniors. "In 2005, about one in five direct care workers were immigrants. And in 2015 one in four workers were immigrants. That’s a huge jump in 10 years."

The Trump administration says it wants U.S. citizens to fill jobs done by immigrants. The administration supports slashing even legal immigration by half. That would mean fewer low-skill workers — a key labor pool for the industry.

Given the prevailing wages in the industry it's sort of no wonder they can't find Americans to do these jobs

Many Americans simply don’t want these demanding, low-paying jobs. MIT economist Paul Osterman calculates many workers earn around $20,000 a year. He says the labor shortage is putting pressure on nursing homes like Bethany, and on seniors and their families.

"What that means is that your mother, your grandmother, who need care, will not be able to find that care," he said. "Or the cost of doing so will become exorbitant."

I mean, who wants to pay "exorbitant" prices to care for old sick people, right?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 pm

Offer more money until you fill the position.
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 am

couple of odd points
Fred works the early shift at Bethany Health Care Center, a Catholic nursing home in Framingham, Massachusetts. ...

Fred's temporary protected status expires in July.

(we're not using his last name because he fears deportation).

Well you told us where he works and when his shift starts so I don't think it will be too hard to find him. But he has a protected status so what is he currently afraid of?

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm

Future deportation?
Maybe he just prefers not to have his full name out there.
You guys have heard about this, right? There's a bunch of people from countries like El Salvador, Honduras and Haiti who they let into the country under temporary protected status. Although it was originally supposed to be temporary, previous administrations including the Bush administration kept extending it and extending it.
Until trump. Some of these people have been in the U.S. for over a decade.
So you could say he's worried that temporary might actually mean temporary.
William Shakespeare

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:18 pm

William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:41 pm

From your own link:

. . . or find another legal status by September 2019.

Which they should do.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:Given the prevailing wages in the industry it's sort of no wonder they can't find Americans to do these jobs

Then perhaps the "prevailing wage" has to increase? Or are there certain professions whose members must live in poverty and despair?
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:15 pm

WildCat wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:Given the prevailing wages in the industry it's sort of no wonder they can't find Americans to do these jobs

Or are there certain professions whose members must live in poverty and despair?

That is exactly what the linked article implies: we need illegals because we can pay them slave wages.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:47 pm

Rob Lister wrote:
WildCat wrote:

Or are there certain professions whose members must live in poverty and despair?

That is exactly what the linked article implies: we need illegals because we can pay them slave wages.

I understand that. And people who can afford to pay more should pay more, but poor people get old too, don't they?

20 K might seem like poverty and despair or slave wages to you and me. To a Haitian (per capita GDP $740), it's like 25 times what they could make at home?
William Shakespeare

WildCat

Postby WildCat » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:06 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:20 K might seem like poverty and despair or slave wages to you and me. To a Haitian (per capita GDP $740), it's like 25 times what they could make at home?

Are we going to move the old people to Haiti?

And you're still arguing that members of certain professions should not be allowed to make a decent wage.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Postby ed » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:12 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
WildCat wrote:

I understand that. And people who can afford to pay more should pay more, but poor people get old too, don't they?

20 K might seem like poverty and despair or slave wages to you and me. To a Haitian (per capita GDP $740), it's like 25 times what they could make at home?

But they are not at home and the COL here is commersurrately higher.

Things should cost what they cost. If the price of strawberries goes up by a factor of 4 then so be it, don't buy the, if it is too expensive.
- new minimalist ethos -

Rob Lister

Postby Rob Lister » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Rob Lister wrote:
WildCat wrote:

Hey, I'm on your side. I don't think I should have to pay more to get my yard mowed. I take full advantage of illegals. They're happy. I'm happy.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”