Trump will ask athletes who kneel during anthem to recommend people for pardoning

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grammatron

Trump will ask athletes who kneel during anthem to recommend people for pardoning

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:21 pm

Washington (CNN) -- President Donald Trump said he wants to meet with NFL players and other athletes who kneel during the National Anthem so they can recommend people they think should be pardoned due to unfair treatment by the justice system.

In what he seemingly sees a solution, President Donald Trump said he wants NFL players and other athletes who kneeled during the National Anthem "I'm going to ask them to recommend to me people who were unfairly treated," Trump said at White House Friday. Trump's contentious relationship with the NFL reached a peak last year when he lambasted players who took a knee during the National Anthem to protest institutionalized racism and police brutality.

What a twist! It's like an M. Night Shyamalan movie
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Trump will ask athletes who kneel during anthem to recommend people for pardoning

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:23 pm

I'll wait until I see the story other than from CNN before bothering to formulate an opinion.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Re: Trump will ask athletes who kneel during anthem to recommend people for pardoning

Postby ed » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:26 pm

n-dimensionable chess
- new minimalist ethos -

Grammatron

Postby Grammatron » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:27 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:I'll wait until I see the story other than from CNN before bothering to formulate an opinion.

No worries dude, I got your favorite source on standby :)

http://www.tmz.com/2018/06/08/donald-tr ... rs-pardon/
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:36 pm

:p

Bruce
Title: Big cynic in small state

Postby Bruce » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:31 pm

Who among feels they have been treated unfairly?

:freedom:
Such potential!

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Having seen it elsewhere I now provisionally beleive the story just barely enough to have an opinion.

Is having champion athletes visit the White House some sort of venerable tradition or something? I may be totally out of it, but I have never heard of such a thing. Whatever foul or stupid motives Trump may have, I'm all for separation of sports and state.

So bravo Trump for this one. 8)

Too bad Trump didn't pass up the new tradition started by Bush II of Iftaar dinner at the White House. :evil:

Witness

Postby Witness » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:46 am

If it's true ( :? ), using overpaid minstrels as ethics/judicial experts proves, if need be, that politics are (I'd like to write "now" here, but that would be ridiculous) just for show.

At least court jesters sometimes provided good counsel, or so I read. :mrgreen:

gnome

Postby gnome » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:52 am

Actually not a terrible idea publicity wise. But he's wide open for a damaging comeback--they could say "Freddy Gray" or similar and drive the point that in the cases they are protesting it is usually too late for a pardon to help. That would be a provocative move. It might be better to hunt up someone alive who does need a pardon, though.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

RCC: Act II

Postby RCC: Act II » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:55 pm

gnome wrote:Actually not a terrible idea publicity wise. But he's wide open for a damaging comeback--they could say "Freddy Gray" or similar and drive the point that in the cases they are protesting it is usually too late for a pardon to help. That would be a provocative move. It might be better to hunt up someone alive who does need a pardon, though.

People being wrongfully convicted of significant offenses is a very small part of the larger issue of malignant law enforcement practices. It is a dramatic part, but pardoning people does exactly nothing going forward to change the conditions leading to the need for such a pardon. A lot of common abuses do not end in a significant wrongful conviction.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:50 pm

What RCC just said, except that I would amplify that when it comes to wrongful convictions being a systemic problem, I primarily blame the prosecutors not the cops.

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:03 pm

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:15 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Image

For real? :lmao:

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Postby Pyrrho » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:10 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1J41SR

Before leaving to attend the Group of Seven summit in Canada, Trump told reporters he was considering pardoning some 3,000 people, including Ali, who died in 2016.

“I’m thinking about somebody that you all know very well, and he went through a lot and he wasn’t very popular then,” Trump said. “His memory is very popular now. I’m thinking about Muhammad Ali. I’m thinking about that very seriously.”
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Anaxagoras

Postby Anaxagoras » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:27 am

Not to mention that pardoning dead people is exactly the sort of things that fits the pejorative sense of "virtue signaling". A purely symbolic gesture that changes nothing that happened in the past.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:22 am

So you think Ali should remain in jail, Anax?

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Rob Lister
Title: Incipient toppler

Postby Rob Lister » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:31 am

Anaxagoras wrote:Not to mention that pardoning dead people is exactly the sort of things that fits the pejorative sense of "virtue signaling". A purely symbolic gesture that changes nothing that happened in the past.

Robert E. Lee would disagree. :wink:

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am

Analysis:
Trump thinks (or his trusted advisers whoever they are think) he can peel off just enough of the "black vote" (it doesn't have to be that much) to make 2020 a landslide (say > 52% of the total vote).

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Postby corplinx » Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:17 pm

4D chess, now we have 4D street dice.

No vote is weirder than the black one since anyone who is vocally D is an Uncle Tom race traitor. They way people who leave the plantation are treated is despicable and media largely _enables_ the attackers.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”