Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for ...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for ...

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:31 pm

Cut Trump supporters off: The horror of migrant kids taken from parents demands personal action
Salon

If you have friends or relatives who support Donald Trump you should confront them. Explain to them that they are complicit with Trump's cruelty and sadism. Then communicate that you will no longer speak with them, nor will you offer them emotional, financial or other types of support until they denounce Donald Trump and what he represents — and make amends through speech and action.

This will not be easy. Doing what is right rarely is. But it is necessary.

What about someone who does not support Trump, but nevertheless does not shun those who do?

Shun them too, etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6afotmsD8
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Postby Giz » Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:52 pm

Shunning? In the 21st century? Surely that’s Amish-take?

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Postby corplinx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:07 pm

The sudden concern for the detained children caught crossing the border is such an obvious deflection from the corruption revealed in the IG report.

Dupes of the deep state for 200 Alex.

1984 wasn't a manual.

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:09 pm

Shunning is basically a way to put your fingers in your ears so you don't have to hear facts that might upset your cult groupthink.

Salon should just go ahead and shut down for espousing this illiberal nonsense.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:26 pm

I have been shunned, mocked, derided, etc for NOT supporting Trump so fair is fair.

Or is this another case where Trump opponents are supposed to eat shit dished out by Trump's cultists and just smile and ask for more because to do otherwise "JUST MAKES TRUMP WIN!!!!"?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:37 pm

corplinx wrote:Shunning is basically a way to put your fingers in your ears so you don't have to hear facts that might upset your cult groupthink.

Salon should just go ahead and shut down for espousing this illiberal nonsense.

If I were a Republican party-liner I would love for shunning to catch on.

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I have been shunned, mocked, derided, etc for NOT supporting Trump ...

Within your own family? Among people you thought were your friends?

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:58 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:I have been shunned, mocked, derided, etc for NOT supporting Trump so fair is fair.

Or is this another case where Trump opponents are supposed to eat shit dished out by Trump's cultists and just smile and ask for more because to do otherwise "JUST MAKES TRUMP WIN!!!!"?

Trumps supporters have been called racists, enablers, russian bots, hicks, inbred, etc. YOU even joined in with the "he called all mexicans rapists" fakenews BS which was a passive aggressive way of saying his supporters cheer racism.

Tell me more about how people call people unfair things? Shunning is when they talk to you no more altogether. Not part of the "back and forth" hazing between political groups.

You called them racists and they called you a cuck. Cry me a river. Stop taking part in childish politics if you don't want to be part of it.

I'm sorry if being the person to tell you that your side is losing the childish politics game currently and that the feeble attempts at it just make the Trumpists happy comes across to you as "just shut up". Please, keep enabling them. There, is that better?

Here, go read Rob Reiner who has never not been outspoken telling people to shut up with the self-defeating crap:
http://thehill.com/media/392574-rob-rei ... mp-remarks

Is Rob Reiner part of the cult of trump telling you to suck his dick? Or is he telling people to stop embarrassing themselves and ensuring a 2020 win by proxy. Sorry if the medicine is bitter. Well, actually. I'm not sorry.

I'm sick of your whining about us telling you that these tactics are self defeating. If the truth hurts, maybe you should spend some time reflecting on it.

Trumps approval has gone up through two years of hysterical shrieking and every Awards show turning into anti-Trump rallies.

You have Kimmel, Conan, Colbert, CNN, MSNBC to soothe your pain. The media is largely a propaganda machine running against the head of state right now.

But still _you_ feel like you are the one persecuted? Good grief, turn on the TV and it will seem like EVERYONE agrees with you Nyar. Unless you make the mistake of turning on Fox.

It must be frustrating that the hicks are rebelling against the popular media and daring to bare their teeth. I bet you wish you could whip them like dogs and really train them.

Here we have Salon doing Cult 101 which is to isolate Cult members from dissenting voices. In other words, they want the full monopoly. If you have friends that support Trump, cut them off. They might counter the echoes from your chamber with facts or even insults.

And your response to this overt cult behavior is, "but what about me?, right wingers called me names".

It's not about you. It's not about you.

Also, It's not about you.

This was your Teachable Moment.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:20 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:I have been shunned, mocked, derided, etc for NOT supporting Trump ...

Within your own family? Among people you thought were your friends?

My family hates him more than me, for obvious reasons (and some less obvious ones, he has said some derogatory shit about Natives too)

But friends yeah

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:28 am

corplinx wrote:
I'm sorry if being the person to tell you that your side is losing the childish politics game currently and that the feeble attempts at it just make the Trumpists happy comes across to you as "just shut up".

But that's exactly what it is meant to come across as. Unless its a failure of my imagination, I can't see any other way it CAN be taken. Just shut up and learn to Love Big Orange Brother.

And I didn't say it was unfair, I said "fair is fair" which means if they can be assholes to me, I can be assholes to them. I am not going to take it from them with a smile on my face and a song in my heart like everyone keeps telling me to do.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am

I guess what I am trying to say is that both sides hate each other virulently and frankly would kill those other guys if they could. Shunning is the "nice" option.

So to pretend that either side should just make nice with the other side without the other side doing likewise is misguided and naive at best, disingenuous at worst. An eye for an eye may leave the whole world blind, but any other way leaves one of us without any eyes and at the mercy of someone who hates us enough to remove our eyes.

Mentat

Postby Mentat » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:51 am

Apparently not wanting to associate with misbehaving malcontents who's lives are bent on making everybody miserable is a bad thing now.
It's "pea-can", man.

Lapis Sells . . . But Who's Buying?

Giz

Postby Giz » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:53 am

Mentat wrote:Apparently not wanting to associate with misbehaving malcontents who's lives are bent on making everybody miserable is a bad thing now.

Oh, so now you support immigration control?

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Postby Doctor X » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 am

Huh.

I clicked this thread because it said it had replies.

Must be a bug.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

corplinx

Postby corplinx » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:15 am

[image]https://i.redd.it/jdej3prxzr511.png[/image]

shunning in practice is already what they've driven the wingnuts into doing as a form of virtue signaling.

expect more articles floating this idea

Trump is bad so they want to make the entire culture toxic.

Buncha deplorables. huh?

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:18 am

FTFY. :)

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:22 am

The Democrats would rather rule in Hell than be a loyal opposition.

Step one: Make it Hell right now.

Nyarlathotep

Postby Nyarlathotep » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:35 am

What constitutes a “loyal opposition”?

Pretend to oppose but don’t really?

Abdul Alhazred

Postby Abdul Alhazred » Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:51 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:What constitutes a “loyal opposition”?

Some nonsense about being a "nation" whatever that is.

They really didn't used to act like this, though it may be a matter of degree.

Giz

Postby Giz » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:27 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:What constitutes a “loyal opposition”?

You can disagree, without being considered a traitor/witch/Hitler.

Return to “Politics & Social Issues”