Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for ...

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Grammatron

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:29 am

RCC: Act II wrote:
Grammatron wrote:To me, all of that is just re-branded McCarthyism with added flavors of ends justifying the means.
Lol. If this is a red scare analogy, y'all would be blaming the whole thing on Dalton Trumbo.
Was McCarthyism not discrimination and blacklisting of individuals based on their political affiliation, how is what you proposing different?
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

WildCat

Re: Shunning as a form of ideological social pressure. It works for authoritarian religious cults it ought to work for .

Post by WildCat » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 am

Grammatron wrote:Was McCarthyism not discrimination and blacklisting of individuals based on their political affiliation, how is what you proposing different?
Reasons Grammy, reasons. Secret reasons.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

RCC: Act II

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:15 am

Grammatron wrote:
Grammatron wrote:To me, all of that is just re-branded McCarthyism with added flavors of ends justifying the means.
Lol. If this is a red scare analogy, y'all would be blaming the whole thing on Dalton Trumbo.
Was McCarthyism not discrimination and blacklisting of individuals based on their political affiliation, how is what you proposing different?
Not being nice to people in restaurants if I think they are bigots, and businesses being able to refuse service based on personal convictions not subject to existing civil rights legislation.

Being McCarthyist requires government sponsorship and involvement. When people are being locked up merely for 'Trumpism" then we can talk. A press secretary being refused service ... no.

Had ol' Joe just been some FOX news radio crank screaming about commies, he wouldn't even be a footnote.

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:10 am

The reasons are secret.

For your own good.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:04 am

Grammatron wrote:
Not being nice to people in restaurants if I think they are bigots, and businesses being able to refuse service based on personal convictions not subject to existing civil rights legislation.
I don't think I've suggested or said that.
Being McCarthyist requires government sponsorship and involvement. When people are being locked up merely for 'Trumpism" then we can talk. A press secretary being refused service ... no.
How about a Congresswoman encouraging a mob?
Had ol' Joe just been some FOX news radio crank screaming about commies, he wouldn't even be a footnote.
He will soon be one anyway.

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:37 am

The owner of a restaurant then pursuing the client she kicked out to harass her at another restaurant?

A minor detail. . . .

In the rain.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:29 am

the blackballing/shunning continues. mccarthyism

So, youtubers are attempting to take over UKIP and make it the freedom of speech party in the UK.

UKIP had 20k members. the youtubers have millions of subscribers.

part of them hijacking UKIP is that UKIP has to adopt measure to prevent far right infiltration

so the media predictably reported that the 'alt right' was taking over UKIP, despite the fact that the alt right doesnt even support free speech. they overtly believe in spoken statements that if they are in charge dissent will be illegal.

anyhow. the media went fishing for comments.

three journalists asked milo for comments and he told them to fuck off instead and made a joke about anti journalism death squads.

Well. those three journalists published this private correspondence. and it wasn't a big deal

until a newspaper office got shot up

https://i.redd.it/o0hse27kku611.jpg

and it's a deranged person with a longtime beef against the paper

but people accusing milo of inspiring violence got his electronic payment accounts locked out.

a. if violence was inspired. then the journos who leaked the private comment are responsible
b. the violence wasn't inspired it turns out

but never let the angry men wait for facts

fuck the alt-left and the complicit media

fuck fuck fuck them all

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:32 am

Bear in mind, this is the ruling class that wants to crush freedom of speech, not some "SJWs".
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:29 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Bear in mind, this is the ruling class that wants to crush freedom of speech, not some "SJWs".
You are complaining about private citizens choosing to react to other people's speech. Go right ahead, but your comment is the exact thing you rail against.

I'm allowed to not like people whose judgment and morals I question. I'm allowed to express that dislike within the bounds of the law. If someone finds themselves in a position where social pressure resulting from their speech, deeds and actions makes their lives unpleasant, they are free to get over it.

What makes it really fucking stupid is that a whole lot of the basis of the conservative culture is to do things that people on the left hate. Liberal tears, are you triggered, all that bullshit. Well, they got what they said they wanted. Apparently they just expected people in pajamas crying about popular vote counts and not to be confronted on equally uncivil terms. Whoops.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:33 pm

Is RCC reading the same posts I am? :?

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Is RCC reading the same posts I am? :?
Maybe I'm missing screams from the cornfield.

corplinx
Title: Moderator

Post by corplinx » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:23 pm

neo mccarthyists love thin veils

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:27 pm

Looks like I am a member of the elite crew of people RCC will even look at. 8)

Post by RCC: Act II » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:32 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Looks like I am a member of the elite crew of people RCC will even look at. 8)
Don't flatter yourself... WildCat is one of you.

:D

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:33 pm

corplinx wrote:neo mccarthyists love thin veils
What does that even mean?

The essence of what McCarthy did, as distinct from the prevailing red scare in general, was accusing people who were not Commies of being Commies (actual not mere sympathizers).

The "McCarthy era" real-o true-lo Commies in the State Department were all nailed by someone other than McCarthy. For example Alger Hiss.

But the main deal with McCarthy "getting away with it" was his senatorial immunity from liability for slander.

There really is nothing going on right now that is precisely comparable, though it wouldn't shock me if it did happen.

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:34 pm

RCC: Act II wrote:Don't flatter yourself... WildCat is one of you.

:D
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

:BigGrin3:

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Regarding the infamously misunderstood Shouting "Fire" in Crowded Theaters and making dissent illegal.

Yet I am poor.

--J.D.

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:22 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
corplinx wrote:neo mccarthyists love thin veils
What does that even mean?

The essence of what McCarthy did, as distinct from the prevailing red scare in general, was accusing people who were not Commies of being Commies (actual not mere sympathizers).

The "McCarthy era" real-o true-lo Commies in the State Department were all nailed by someone other than McCarthy. For example Alger Hiss.

But the main deal with McCarthy "getting away with it" was his senatorial immunity from liability for slander.

There really is nothing going on right now that is precisely comparable, though it wouldn't shock me if it did happen.
That's incredibly narrow view of that time period Abdul. McCarthyism was a zeitgeist, not just a person who abused his power.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_blacklist

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:44 pm

Hollywood blacklist was before McCarthy.

How come McCarthy gets all the credit for the zeitgeist?

Maybe because the someone wants to discredit anti-Communism?

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:49 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Hollywood blacklist was before McCarthy.

How come McCarthy gets all the credit for the zeitgeist?

Maybe because the someone wants to discredit anti-Communism?
All of this is connected to one phenomenon during a similar historical period. If you prefer "red-scare" or another term I may use that instead. But McCarthyism, as I understand the terms, seems to fit very well.