The dumbing down of America

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

The dumbing down of America

Post by ed » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:10 pm

Across the country, local efforts are at last underway to integrate schools that remain profoundly segregated more than half a century after the Supreme Court’s ruling in Brown v. Board of Education. Nowhere is that work more important than New York City, where the school system is not only the nation’s largest but also its most segregated.

After largely ignoring this reality for four years, Mayor Bill de Blasio has now taken an important step: He has put forward a plan to integrate eight of the city’s specialized high schools, storied institutions like Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech. These schools have, for generations, set those lucky enough to attend on paths to success, to middle-class security, to rewarding careers and even to Nobel Prizes.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... chool.html
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: The dumbing down of America

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Didn't you already start a thread on this precise story?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Giz

Post by Giz » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:25 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Didn't you already start a thread on this precise story?
Another example of the dumbing down of America!

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:45 pm

And here it is

viewtopic.php?p=916654#p916654

Also an uncommonly cogent observation from moi 8)
Bear in mind that black kids who are smart enough and would have gone to Stuyvesant a generation ago now get scholarships to diversity seeking fancy private schools such as Dalton.

For the more science and engineering oriented smart black kid, it would be Poly Prep rather than Bronx Science or that one in Brooklyn whose name slips my mind.

That also depresses the stats for blacks getting into elite NYC public high schools.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:46 am

ed wrote:
Across the country, local efforts are at last underway to integrate schools that remain profoundly segregated more than half a century after the Supreme Court’s ruling in Brown v. Board of Education. Nowhere is that work more important than New York City, where the school system is not only the nation’s largest but also its most segregated.

After largely ignoring this reality for four years, Mayor Bill de Blasio has now taken an important step: He has put forward a plan to integrate eight of the city’s specialized high schools, storied institutions like Stuyvesant, Bronx Science and Brooklyn Tech. These schools have, for generations, set those lucky enough to attend on paths to success, to middle-class security, to rewarding careers and even to Nobel Prizes.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... chool.html
Apparently "segregation" and "integration" no longer mean what they used to mean.

Also it seems to be Asian kids who get discriminated against the most these days. Apparently Harvard admissions officers don't think Asians make good leaders. (It's where they put their thumb on the scale, because it's a subjective judgment and there's nothing the applicant can do about it).

Harvard Rated Asian-American Applicants Lower on Personality Traits, Suit Says
Harvard consistently rated Asian-American applicants lower than others on traits like “positive personality,” likability, courage, kindness and being “widely respected,” according to an analysis of more than 160,000 student records filed Friday by a group representing Asian-American students in a lawsuit against the university.

Asian-Americans scored higher than applicants of any other racial or ethnic group on admissions measures like test scores, grades and extracurricular activities, according to the analysis commissioned by a group that opposes all race-based admissions criteria. But the students’ personal ratings significantly dragged down their chances of being admitted, the analysis found.

The court documents, filed in federal court in Boston, also showed that Harvard conducted an internal investigation into its admissions policies in 2013 and found a bias against Asian-American applicants. But Harvard never made the findings public or acted on them.

Harvard, one of the most sought-after and selective universities in the country, admitted only 4.6 percent of its applicants this year. That has led to intense interest in the university’s closely guarded admissions process. Harvard had fought furiously over the last few months to keep secret the documents that were unsealed Friday.
Confronting Asian-American Stereotypes
We explored discrimination against Asian-Americans with Jennifer Lee, a professor of sociology at Columbia University and the author of “The Asian-American Achievement Paradox” and Karthick Ramakrishnan, a professor of public policy and political science at University of California, Riverside, and director of the National Asian-American Survey.

Harvard has been accused of giving lower personality ratings to Asian-American applicants. The news reminded many Asian-Americans of some painful stereotypes, that they’re industrious but don’t have interpersonal skills and charm. Where did these stereotypes come from?

JL: While the current stereotype of Asian-Americans is that they are smart, competent and hard-working, a century ago, Asian-Americans were perceived as illiterate, undesirable, full of “filth and disease” and unassimilable. They were perceived as “marginal members of the human race,” were denied the right to become naturalized U.S. citizens, and segregated to ethnic enclaves.

But the change in U.S. immigration law in 1965 — which gave preference to highly educated and highly skilled applicants — ushered in a new wave of Asian immigrants. Not only are they more likely to have graduated than those who did not immigrate from their countries of origin, but they are more likely to have graduated from college than the U.S. mean — what we refer to as “hyper-selectivity”.

For example, Chinese immigrants in the United States are 12 times as likely to have graduated from college than Chinese who did not immigrate. They are also almost twice as likely to have a college degree than the average American. The hyper-selectivity has resulted in the stereotype that Chinese-Americans (and Asian-Americans more broadly) are smart, competent and hard-working. But they are also vilified for being too smart, too focused on academics, one-dimensional and lacking personal skills.
To achieve the sort of diversity they want: To have their student body look like a Benetton poster, they have to exclude a lot of Asian students who would otherwise be "overrepresented" because they do so well on tests. So they mark them down on subjective "personality" and "leadership" criteria.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:06 am

It is funny what racism is tolerated and what is not.

I know an Irishman and two Italians . . . they walk into a bar . . . anyways the two Italians joke about how "it's okay to make fun of Italians," as they then quote from The Godfather and Goodfellas: "She's prejudiced against Italians! Can you believe that? A Jew-broad prejudiced against Italians."

As the Irish friend jokes, fifty years ago neither of them were "white."

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:29 am

In court papers, Harvard said that a statistical analysis could not capture the many intangible factors that go into Harvard admissions.
They compare Harvard’s treatment of Asian-Americans with its well-documented campaign to reduce the growing number of Jews being admitted to Harvard in the 1920s. Until then, applicants had been admitted on academic merit. To avoid adopting a blatant quota system, Harvard introduced subjective criteria like character, personality and promise. The plaintiffs call this the “original sin of holistic admissions.”
"Intangible factors" like "character, personality and promise." :notsure:

We are just supposed to accept that Asian-Americans in general lack these subjective "intangible factors" just as they found that Jews lacked them back in the olden days.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

ed
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:02 am

Insert the words "African-American and see how that plays.

The unavoidable end point of diversity is tribalism and that, as the history of Europe at least shows, is ugly. DiBlaso is creating a schism between the asian community and the black community where one did not exist before.

As with Cali, I am watching with amused disinterest as progressive politics play out.
- new minimalist ethos -

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:37 pm

This whole thing is about discriminating against Chinese. All else is pretext.

This is also why my old HS (Seward Park) was later split into several schools sharing the same building. Well, that and multiplying the number of administrators.

It's the non-elite public HS in Chinatown, and all the Chinese kids hogged the honors, including a surprisingly high proportion in athletics. One year I was there, there was a Gentile foreign language student with honors in Hebrew. Chinese of course.

It is now various schools divided along "cultural" lines (because they can't say "racial"). In theory anyone could sign up for the Chinese one, but ...

In addition to segregating the Chinese it also helps Spanish speaking recent immigrants *not* learn English. The few remaining recent immigrant whiteys go to one of the "black" school (no they don't call it that).

More actual segregation now than 50 years ago, but it helps diversity, see?

FWIW, I don't recall the black kids being at such a serious disadvantage as apparently it is now, but that's just a non-definitive impression of the ones I hung out with before I went Chinese. :)

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:59 am

This would be different if Harvard had a degree in ass-raping.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray