Justice Kennedy Announces Retirement

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
WildCat

Re: Justice Kennedy Announces Retirement

Post by WildCat » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:37 pm

I actually voted for Obama in the primaries and the general, and I deeply regret those votes.

The only GOP primary I voted in was in 2016, because I didn't want Trump. Turns out I was wrong then too lol.
Do you have questions about God?

you sniveling little right-wing nutter - jj

Doctor X
Title: Collective Messiah

Post by Doctor X » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:57 pm

I thought it was because of sparks that we cannot have nice things.

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X4!!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:39 pm

n Kavanaugh, It’s All About Collins and Murkowski, Not the Red-State Democrats
The Senate math for Democrats fighting to defeat confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh as a Supreme Court justice was originally straightforward if daunting: flip one of two pro-choice Senate Republicans (Collins and Murkowski) and hold all the Democrats, and the deed would be done. Senate Democratic leader Chuck Schumer asked vulnerable red-state Democrats up for reelection this year (especially Joe Donnelly of Indiana, Heidi Heitkamp of North Dakota, and Joe Manchin of West Virginia, who all voted to confirm Neil Gorsuch last year) to “keep their powder dry” as long as possible to determine if their votes even mattered. And some progressives criticized Schumer for this “catch-and-release” strategy, arguing that solidifying the Democratic caucus first would make it possible to bring the hammers of hell down on Collins and Murkowski as each being potential deciding votes.

But then something very big happened that oddly enough has been underappreciated in its impact on the Kavanaugh confirmation fight: John McCain died, and Jon Kyl was appointed to take his seat. Since McCain had been absent from the Senate most of the year due to illness, Republicans could not afford to lose more than one senator on a tough vote like this one. Kyl was actually Kavanaugh’s “sherpa” (a senior party figure designated to guide a nominee) during the confirmation process, so he will be there with bells on to vote for the judge. And thus the scenario in which Democrats could go after Collins and Murkowski individually as the “deciding vote” has evaporated. They now must flip both Republicans before any of the red-state Democratic senators matter at all. And that means the moment either Collins or Murkowski announces for Kavanaugh, it’s game over. It’s a subtle but crucial difference from the situation before McCain died.
I agree, unlikely both will flip...
More likely (perhaps) one of the Democrats will flip....any bets?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 am

Now in a last-minute dirty trick to try to derail Kavenaugh Pelosi is alleging he was involved in some sort of sexual misconduct (she doesn't say what) when he was in high school according to some unidentified person.

They really have somehow managed to get lower than dirt.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:28 am

If it were true, they would have mentioned it first.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:35 am

Indeed a new low. Throwing salacious allegations without proof has been unheard of lately on either side!
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:43 am

It didn't work when the Democrats did it to Clarence Thomas.

So the Democrats are doing the same thing expecting different results. :BigGrin3:

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 am

If only the Democrats could work in a gay angle.

And not just that he allegedly sucked a dick once. This isn't the 1950s.

If only Kavanaugh could be found with an underage male prostitute strangled in his hotel room.

That might get just enough Republicans to reject him along with the Democrats. :coolspecs:

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 am

Dead girl or live boy :)
Wenn ich Kultur höre, entsichere ich meinen Browning!

gnome

Post by gnome » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:24 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 am
If only the Democrats could work in a gay angle.

And not just that he allegedly sucked a dick once. This isn't the 1950s.

If only Kavanaugh could be found with an underage male prostitute strangled in his hotel room.

That might get just enough Republicans to reject him along with the Democrats. :coolspecs:
Not anymore. Now it's "He's imperfect but what we need right now."

Won't stop them from using such a thing to declare someone else unsuitable by definition, of course.

Political parties are expert at special pleading.
"If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor. Then, he used his fight money to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat, and then he beat the crap out of every single one. And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called a zoo! (Beat) Unless it's a farm!"
--Soldier, TF2

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:35 am

Desperate Dems are desperate.

--J.D.
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel

WildCat

Post by WildCat » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:09 am

Holy crap, RBG isn't looking so good these days. IMHO she only held out because she wanted to be replaced by the first female President. This video is from yesterday, if the background wasn't black you'd see the Grim Reaper standing behind her:

Grammatron

Post by Grammatron » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:01 am

Did she have a procedure of some kind?

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:11 am

--J.D.

xouper

Post by xouper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:26 am

I just thought this was worth repeating.
gnome wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 3:24 am
Political parties Politicians are expert at special pleading.
Fixed that for ya. :wink:

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 am

WildCat wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:12 am
Now in a last-minute dirty trick to try to derail Kavenaugh Pelosi is alleging he was involved in some sort of sexual misconduct (she doesn't say what) when he was in high school according to some unidentified person.

They really have somehow managed to get lower than dirt.
Feinstein rather than Pelosi if I'm seeing the reports correctly.

It is disappointing as well as pointless. It won't stop his nomination. The only thing it can do is to further poison the process.

If a person isn't willing to come forward publicly, why should their accusations be made public?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Doctor X

Post by Doctor X » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:56 am

After over 30 years.

Really.

--J.D.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:14 am

https://www.vox.com/2018/9/13/17855900/ ... fbi-letter
What we know

So far, there are more questions than answers about what the letter is about. The letter itself is a secondhand account of an incident that hasn’t been described to reporters. Feinstein isn’t saying much: The Intercept reports that the letter had been causing a stir on Capitol Hill because she had refused to disclose it even to fellow Senate Democrats.

The letter was from someone affiliated with Stanford University who had the incident involving Kavanaugh described to them, according to the Intercept. The letter was first sent to Rep. Anna Eshoo, who represents a major swath of the Bay Area including the area where Stanford is located. Eshoo shared it with Feinstein.

Feinstein’s office declined to provide any additional comment on the letter, and Eshoo’s office said it has a confidentiality policy when it comes to casework involving constituents.

The woman involved might have retained a lawyer, but that hasn’t been confirmed: The Intercept is reporting that Debra Katz, a DC-based civil rights attorney who had previously represented one of the women who brought abuse allegations against former New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman, is representing her.

Katz was spotted leaving Capitol Hill on Wednesday evening, according to BuzzFeed, though she did not confirm her involvement when asked.
IOW, a letter not from someone who witnessed whatever it was directly, but someone essentially passing on hearsay or second-hand information?
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 am

ed wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:17 am
Dead girl or live boy :)
That was in the 1950s. Think of that senator in The Godfather (or was it part II).

Now it's got to be dead boy. :wink:

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:27 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:14 am
https://www.vox.com/2018/9/13/17855900/ ... fbi-letter
What we know

So far, there are more questions than answers about what the letter is about.
The letter was from someone affiliated with Stanford University who had the incident involving Kavanaugh described to them, according to the Intercept. The letter was first sent to Rep. Anna Eshoo, who represents a major swath of the Bay Area including the area where Stanford is located. Eshoo shared it with Feinstein.
The woman involved might have retained a lawyer, but that hasn’t been confirmed:
Katz was spotted leaving Capitol Hill on Wednesday evening, according to BuzzFeed, though she did not confirm her involvement when asked.
IOW, a letter not from someone who witnessed whatever it was directly, but someone essentially passing on hearsay or second-hand information?
Someone at Stanford, who was told (or possibly overheard?) something about Kavanaugh, that may or may not have happened when he was attending Georgetown Prep (high school)...
Apparently this involved an incident or incidents when Kavanaugh and the woman were both in high school. Kavanaugh was born in 1965 and attended Georgetown Prep in Bethesda MD, so it won’t take long for internet sleuths to determine the identity of the accuser.

ETA: The reports on the accuser’s institutional affiliation are murky. It appears she is affiliated with Stanford, but not necessarily the law school. [Post title edited to reflect] I spoke with Stanford law professor Michelle Landis Dauber, who for various reasons would be the most obvious candidate if the accuser is indeed a SLS professor, and she assured me she knows nothing about any of this. The accuser’s lawyer, Deborah Katz, declined to comment.
link: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/201 ... -professor

First, it seems they are assuming it is a "she" not a he. Considering his high school, this is a stretch.
Georgetown Preparatory School is a Jesuit university-preparatory school in North Bethesda, Maryland for boys grades 9 through 12
Second, Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill (mentioned earlier in this thread) were both adults.

Last, We are now going back into high school to get dirt on this guy?
Seriously?
Then Skank Of America could start in...