Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25344
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 2652 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:07 am

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25344
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 2652 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:12 am

https://www.thedailybeast.com/capital-g ... d-prayers/
“This is going to be a story for how many days? Less than a week?” San Felice asked.

Recalling her experience reporting on the Pulse nightclub shooting, she said: “I’m going to need more than a couple days of news coverage and some thoughts and prayers, because it’s our whole lives have been shattered. And so thanks for your prayers, but I couldn’t give a fuck about them if there’s nothing else.”
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25344
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 2652 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:15 am

...and as a practical thing...
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32412
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 418 times
Been thanked: 696 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by ed » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:41 am

The NYT is virulently anti-gun. This is the front page of their internet paper today
ScreenShot038.jpg
Why? To encourage others? Seems to me that they will support the sacrifice of others to achieve their political goals.

Am I wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- new minimalist ethos -

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 20768
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 1092 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Anaxagoras » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm

I don't follow your point Ed.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 69380
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 2770 times
Been thanked: 1060 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:37 pm

Seems to me that they will support the sacrifice of others to achieve their political goals.
This is in my opinion absolutely correct, but your argument is a little weak this time. The NYT treatment of this particular story is actually pretty straightforward. No crying babies etc.

Lies, but not especially propaganda, comparatively speaking.

The main lie the NYT (implicitly) tells all the time, even in stories where LIBBERUL bias is not relevant, is that they really know what is going on.

And the purpose of the lie is to monetize their spurious credibility so that the manufactured product is perceived to be more valuable than the raw materials.

A substrate for the real money maker, which as you know is advertising.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47541
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 770 times
Been thanked: 1419 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Nyarlathotep » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:21 pm

What shocks me is that I have yet to see the first 'False Flag' claim. I am sure that such claims are being made, but I haven't seen one yet and I usually see one within hours of this kind of thing
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
ed
Posts: 32412
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 11:52 pm
Title: Trilobite of the Florida swamp
Has thanked: 418 times
Been thanked: 696 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by ed » Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:24 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:I don't follow your point Ed.
I think that it is generally agreed that depriving perps of PR oxygen was desirable in order to make the event less appealing to those who crave attention.

I think that the NYT treatment was over the top. Way over the top and I speculated that they may actually wish to encourage copycats in order to promote the greater good.
- new minimalist ethos -

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 20768
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 1092 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:03 am

ed wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I don't follow your point Ed.
I think that it is generally agreed that depriving perps of PR oxygen was desirable in order to make the event less appealing to those who crave attention.

I think that the NYT treatment was over the top. Way over the top and I speculated that they may actually wish to encourage copycats in order to promote the greater good.
While it may be true that publicity leads to copycat crimes, I don't agree that this is their intention. It's an unintended consequence.

Reporting the news is what newspapers do and this is news. So it's a catch-22. They have to report it because it's their job to report it, even if sometimes the publicity leads to copycats. Even if they didn't, every other newspaper and TV station is reporting it, so it's not as if potential copycats wouldn't see the news anyway. People would just ask why isn't the New York Times covering this.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25344
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 2652 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:23 am

Anaxagoras wrote:
ed wrote:
Anaxagoras wrote:I don't follow your point Ed.
I think that it is generally agreed that depriving perps of PR oxygen was desirable in order to make the event less appealing to those who crave attention.

I think that the NYT treatment was over the top. Way over the top and I speculated that they may actually wish to encourage copycats in order to promote the greater good.
While it may be true that publicity leads to copycat crimes, I don't agree that this is their intention. It's an unintended consequence.

Reporting the news is what newspapers do and this is news. So it's a catch-22. They have to report it because it's their job to report it, even if sometimes the publicity leads to copycats. Even if they didn't, every other newspaper and TV station is reporting it, so it's not as if potential copycats wouldn't see the news anyway. People would just ask why isn't the New York Times covering this.
They do ask such questions. "There was a school shooting 3 days ago, yet no media coverage!" etc.

Sure, maybe some of these killers do this for attention. I suspect that most of them don't.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25344
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 2652 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:46 am

@mtracey

The alleged shooter had a deranged, obsessive grudge with this particular newspaper dating back years. Condolences to everyone desperately disappointed to find that they can’t connect this to their favorite national political narrative. You’ll have to wait till the next shooting
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47541
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 770 times
Been thanked: 1419 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:55 am

Pyrrho wrote:
@mtracey

The alleged shooter had a deranged, obsessive grudge with this particular newspaper dating back years. Condolences to everyone desperately disappointed to find that they can’t connect this to their favorite national political narrative. You’ll have to wait till the next shooting
That isn't stopping anyone in the least
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Pyrrho
Posts: 25344
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 2:17 am
Title: Man in Black
Location: Division 6
Has thanked: 2635 times
Been thanked: 2652 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Pyrrho » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:58 am

You're right about that.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

User avatar
Abdul Alhazred
Posts: 69380
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:33 pm
Title: Yes, that one.
Location: Chicago
Has thanked: 2770 times
Been thanked: 1060 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:10 am

Definitive. It's the GUNS stupid. :)

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210805326

Own a gun? Your fault.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

User avatar
Nyarlathotep
Posts: 47541
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 770 times
Been thanked: 1419 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:30 am

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Definitive. It's the GUNS stupid. :)

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210805326

Own a gun? Your fault.
Unrelated, but I just noticed that one of the thread titles in that link was "I wonder what % of gun owners have firearms"

Wouldn't the answer to that, by definition, be "all of them"? Kind of like asking “what % of car owners have automobiles” or is there some fine distinction I am missing?
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

User avatar
Doctor X
Posts: 66413
Joined: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:09 pm
Title: Collective Messiah
Location: Your Mom
Has thanked: 3186 times
Been thanked: 2016 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Doctor X » Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:57 am

100% OF THEM DO DO YOU NOW SEE THE PROBLEM?!!!1!![!--Ed.]

--J.D.
Mob of the Mean: Free beanie, cattle-prod and Charley Fan Club!
"Doctor X is just treating you the way he treats everyone--as subhuman crap too dumb to breathe in after you breathe out."--Don
DocX: FTW.--sparks
"Doctor X wins again."--Pyrrho
"Never sorry to make a racist Fucktard cry."--His Humble MagNIfIcence
"It was the criticisms of Doc X, actually, that let me see more clearly how far the hypocrisy had gone."--clarsct
"I'd leave it up to Doctor X who has been a benevolent tyrant so far."--Grammatron
"Indeed you are a river to your people.
Shit. That's going to end up in your sig."--Pyrrho
"Try a twelve step program and accept Doctor X as your High Power."--asthmatic camel
"just like Doc X said." --gnome

WS CHAMPIONS X3!!! NBA CHAMPIONS!! Stanley Cup! SB CHAMPIONS X5!!!!!

User avatar
Grammatron
Posts: 32847
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 1:21 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Been thanked: 1569 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Grammatron » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 am

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Definitive. It's the GUNS stupid. :)

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100210805326

Own a gun? Your fault.
Unrelated, but I just noticed that one of the thread titles in that link was "I wonder what % of gun owners have firearms"

Wouldn't the answer to that, by definition, be "all of them"? Kind of like asking “what % of car owners have automobiles” or is there some fine distinction I am missing?
Nah, it's a thing with DU where titles bleed into the body of the post. It's actually " I always wonder what % of gun owners have firearms just to protect themselves from other gun owners? "
pillory wrote:jokes aren't funny....seriously thinking......

seriously thinking might be funny....but it's not joke

User avatar
corplinx
Posts: 19853
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:49 am
Title: Moderator
Has thanked: 205 times
Been thanked: 641 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by corplinx » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:28 pm

I've been out of the country the past week. came back to leftie memes about how trump killed these people because he is against the media.

User avatar
Witness
Posts: 14843
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:50 pm
Has thanked: 1744 times
Been thanked: 2344 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Witness » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:27 pm

corplinx wrote:I've been out of the country the past week. came back to leftie memes about how trump killed these people because he is against the media.
Image
Newspaper reporter resigns after wrongly claiming Annapolis shooter wore MAGA hat

A newspaper reporter in Massachusetts resigned on Friday after falsely claiming in a tweet that the gunman who opened fire on a newsroom in Maryland a day earlier was wearing a hat bearing President Trump's campaign slogan, "Make America Great Again."
Folks, My 21-year career as a "journalist," a fancy term that makes my skin crawl, frankly, came to a screeching halt yesterday with one stupid, regrettable tweet. Can't take it back; wish I could. My sincere apologies to all good, hardworking reporters and to POTUS supporters.
- CONOR BERRY (@CBerry413) June 29, 2018
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/newsp ... li=BBnbcA1

So he has "resigned" (Ha ha!) after 21 years with a job title that made his "skin crawl"? :roll:

User avatar
Anaxagoras
Posts: 20768
Joined: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 am
Location: Yokohama/Tokyo, Japan
Has thanked: 1306 times
Been thanked: 1092 times

Re: Another One: Shooting at Newsroom in Annapolis

Post by Anaxagoras » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:16 pm

What a twat.
Why is "journalist" a "fancy" term? I thought it was just another word for a reporter.

Anyway, I see no good way to spin that one. If he meant it as a joke, it's a terrible time to make a joke (which wasn't even funny), and if he meant it seriously then that's even worse. Nothing about it seems to suggest that it was a joke.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare