July 4 Civil War

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
xouper

Re: July 4 Civil War

Post by xouper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:14 pm

In case RCC has not seen this from another thread about fake news:
xouper wrote:If the fake news media do not want to be called the "enemy of the people," maybe they should stop acting like it.
Jonathan Easley wrote:[According to data from the latest Harvard-Harris poll] Nearly two-thirds of Americans say the mainstream press is full of fake news, a sentiment that is held by a majority of voters across the ideological spectrum.
The people don't need Trump to tell them this, they can see it for themselves. Trump is just reminding us what we already know.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:17 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:Example: The whole "Enemy of the people" thing came about not from Trump saying anything along the lines of "Fake News is the Enemy of The People" but when he pointed to the press section at one of his Rallies (why does a sitting president just past the first year of his presidency need "rallies" anyway, but i digress). and said "THEY are the enemy of the people" (emphasis mine).

That isn't decrying fake news. That is decrying journalism itself even the "show up and report on what happened" kind. He doesn't want "Fake Newstm" to stop. He wants any and all reporting except the most fawning to stop.
Logic fail.

Nyarl is taking a comment out of context and using it to draw a false conclusion.

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:34 pm

Who was he pointing at specifically?
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:14 pm

Abdul Alhazred wrote:Who was he pointing at specifically?

Sounds like the press had its own section at the rally. And he was pointing at that section, rather than any individual.

I mean, he could have meant "Those particular reporters in that section over there are Enemies of the People. The rest are pretty cool though.", but that strikes me as unlikely
Bango Skank Awaits The Crimson King!

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:18 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Abdul Alhazred wrote:Who was he pointing at specifically?
Sounds like the press had its own section at the rally. And he was pointing at that section, rather than any individual.

I mean, he could have meant "Those particular reporters in that section over there are Enemies of the People. The rest are pretty cool though.", but that strikes me as unlikely
It may strike you as unlikely, but that's exactly what he meant.

For example, here's what he actually said on Thursday in Montana:
"I see the way they write. They're so damn dishonest," Trump said. "And I don't mean all of them, because some of the finest people I know are journalists really. Hard to believe when I say that. I hate to say it, but I have to say it. But 75 percent of those people are downright dishonest. Downright dishonest. They're fake. They're fake."

"They make the sources up. They don't exist in many cases," he continued. "These are really bad people."
Watch it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 2qBbhMl9wQ

I don't know where he got the number 75 percent, but that's typical politician hyperbole. (Unlike lies like "If you like your doctor you can keep your doctor.") Substitute a smaller number and the essence of his observation remains valid.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:22 pm

Nyarlathotep wrote:. . . (why does a sitting president just past the first year of his presidency need "rallies" anyway, but i digress).
It's an election year and he's out there campaigning for local politicians. Why did you not know that?

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:29 pm

A scene from the front.
STOOGE62.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.