Do men really have it easier?

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Skeeve

Do men really have it easier?

Post by Skeeve » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:18 pm

Crossing the divide: Do men really have it easier?
In the 1990s, the late Stanford neuroscientist Ben Barres transitioned from female to male.
We spoke with four men who transitioned as adults to the bodies in which they feel more comfortable. Their experiences reveal that the gulf between how society treats women and men is in many ways as wide now as it was when Barres transitioned. But their diverse backgrounds provide further insight into how race and ethnicity inform the gender divide in subtle and sometimes surprising ways.
1 ‘I’ll never call the police again’
I get pulled over a lot more now. I got pulled over more in the first two years after my transition than I did the entire 20 years I was driving before that. Before, when I’d been stopped, even for real violations like driving 100 miles an hour, I got off. In fact, when it happened in Atlanta the officer and I got into a great conversation about the Braves. Now the first two questions they ask are: Do I have any weapons in the car, and am I on parole or probation?
It’s not only humiliating, but it creates anxiety on a daily basis. Before, I used to feel safe going up to a police officer if I was lost or needed directions. But I don’t do that anymore. I hike a lot, and if I’m out hiking and I see a dead body, I’ll keep on walking. I’ll never call the police again.
2: ‘It now feels as though I am on my own’
Prior to my transition, I was an outspoken radical feminist. I spoke up often, loudly and with confidence. I was encouraged to speak up. I was given awards for my efforts, literally — it was like, “Oh, yeah, speak up, speak out.” When I speak up now, I am often given the direct or indirect message that I am “mansplaining,” “taking up too much space” or “asserting my white male heterosexual privilege.” Never mind that I am a first-generation Mexican American, a transsexual man, and married to the same woman I was with prior to my transition.
I guess the whole "male privilege" thing didn't pan out eh?
Then Skank Of America could start in...

Abdul Alhazred
Title: Yes, that one.

Re: Do men really have it easier?

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:20 pm

Ruling class men have it easier.
Image "If I turn in a sicko, will I get a reward?"

"Yes! A BIG REWARD!" ====> Click here to turn in a sicko
Any man writes a mission statement spends a night in the box.
-- our mission statement plappendale

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:51 pm

Women don't have to worry about their dicks rotting off.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Giz

Post by Giz » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:08 am

shemp wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:51 pm
Women don't have to worry about their dicks rotting off.
What? Are you some kind of transphobic TERF ?

sparks
Location: Friar McWallclocks Bar -- Where time stands still while you lean over!

Post by sparks » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:10 am

Well, sure they don't have to worry about dick-rot. But they do have to worry about their woman-cave becoming infested.

Infested with all sorts of nasty things including those evil parasites called ... children. I mean, even with proper treatment, takes about 9 months to get over the worst part of that shit.
You can lead them to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

shemp
Title: gnat

Post by shemp » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:34 am

No, it takes another 18+ years.
"It is not I who is mad! It is I who is crazy!" -- Ren Hoek

"[... it seems most strange that... ] the Creator of Heaven and Earth resorted to the womb of a certain Jewish lady, grew there for nine months and was born as an infant, and afterwards grew up and was betrayed into the hands of his enemies who sentenced him to death and executed him, and that afterwards... he came to life and returned to his original place. The mind of a Jew, or any other person, simply cannot tolerate these assertions. If you have listened all your life to the priests who have filled your brain and the marrow of your bones with this doctrine, and it has settled into you because of that accustomed habit. [I would argue that if you were hearing these ideas for the first time, now, as a grown adult], you would never have accepted them." -- Rabbi Moses ben Nahman, defending the Talmud at the Disputation of Barcelona, July 1263.

"God is the supreme excuse for human adults to absolve themselves of any obligation to preserve natural resources for their own children during their lifetime." -- Gene Ray

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:13 am

Both women and men have to put up with bullshit because of their sex. Different kinds of bullshit, but each sex has its own downsides as well as upsides.

Men don't ever have to get pregnant or give birth. That's a pretty big upside to being a man.

I believe that testosterone affects men's behavior quite a bit. Females who have transitioned to male and started taking hormones have remarked on how much it makes you feel different. More aggressive and more horny. It's also the reason why men go bald and grow beards. I believe it's also the reason why men go to prison at about 10 times the rate for women.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Witness

Post by Witness » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:55 am

In Greek mythology, Tiresias (/taɪˈriːsiəs/; Greek: Τειρεσίας, Teiresias) was a blind prophet of Apollo in Thebes, famous for clairvoyance and for being transformed into a woman for seven years.
[…]
In a separate episode, Tiresias was drawn into an argument between Hera and her husband Zeus, on the theme of who has more pleasure in sex: the man, as Hera claimed; or, as Zeus claimed, the woman, as Tiresias had experienced both. Tiresias replied, "Of ten parts a man enjoys one only." Hera instantly struck him blind for his impiety. Zeus could do nothing to stop her or reverse her curse, but in recompense he did give Tiresias the gift of foresight and a lifespan of seven lives.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiresias

Nothing like a good myth! :mrgreen:

ed
Title: Rhino of the Florida swamp

Post by ed » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:10 am

ScreenShot449.jpg
Double post but relevant.
WHO data, 183 countries.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- new minimalist ethos -

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:31 am

ed wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:10 am
ScreenShot449.jpg

Double post but relevant.
WHO data, 183 countries.
Seriously!
Gender Pay Gap? What About The Workplace Death Gap?
In case you didn't know, Tuesday [for this article, April 4, 2017] is Equal Pay Day.

This date "symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year," according to the National Committee on Pay Equity. That's based on the notion that women get paid 20% less than men for doing the same job.
:violin:
Economist Mark Perry has for years noted that there's an even bigger and far more consequential gender gap in the workplace — one that literally means the difference between life and death.

He notes that official government data show that men suffer almost all of the workplace fatalities that take place in a given year.

In 2015, for example, there were 4,836 workplace deaths, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Of those, 4,492 were men, and 344 were women. In other words, men suffered 93% of workplace fatalities that year. This wasn't some aberration. From 2011 through 2015, men accounted for 92.5% of all workplace deaths.

Using the National Committee on Pay Equity's methodology, Perry came up with what he calls the Equal Occupational Fatality Day. Based on the different fatality rates, this day doesn't occur until January 21, 2029.

"That date," Perry says, mimicking the language of the NCPE, "symbolizes how far into the future American women will be able to continue working before they experience the same loss of life that men experienced in 2015 from work-related deaths."
You just gotta love that "male privilege."

Pyrrho
Title: Man in Black

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:03 pm

http://pickyourown.org/cherrypickingtips.htm
Cherry Picking Tips and Facts

Cherry picking tips

If you are about to pick cherries either directly from a tree, or from a local orchard or market, here's what you need to know to pick the best cherries.
The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

xouper

Post by xouper » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:28 pm

That website seems to dis-allow hotlinking their images. Worse, when I direct my browser to go directly to that image url, the website redirects me to their homepage.

But I can find the image using this search:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=http%3A%2F%2F ... iesred.jpg

It's the first one in the results.

Your Mileage May Vary™.

Anaxagoras

Post by Anaxagoras » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 pm

You know, it's only in a few countries and within the last few decades that this topic could seriously be up for debate.

Saudi Arabia? :lol:

It's still less than 100 years since women even were allowed to vote (in America that is).

So maybe it's a sign of progress that some people are even asking the question "Do men really have it easier?"

Because for most of history, and even today in many parts of the world, the answer is pretty obvious.
A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool.
William Shakespeare

Skeeve

Post by Skeeve » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:08 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 pm
You know, it's only in a few countries and within the last few decades that this topic could seriously be up for debate.

It's still less than 100 years since women even were allowed to vote (in America that is).

So maybe it's a sign of progress that some people are even asking the question "Do men really have it easier?"

Because for most of history, and even today in many parts of the world, the answer is pretty obvious.
But Anaxagoras, we LIVE in a patriarchy. Toxic masculinity is everywhere, behind every bush, under every doormat...
Women have to contend with man-splaners, and man-spreaders on a daily basis...oh the horror.

shuize

Post by shuize » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:43 pm

Anaxagoras wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:14 pm

Sure, if we're talking about life outside the first world. I doubt most American feminists could last a week (Ha! A week. What am I saying?) a day carrying the average third world woman's burden.

But something tells me work was no picnic for the average American male 100 years ago either.

Not to mention how men get screwed under "modern" divorce laws.

And one of my favorite responses to the whole "male privilege" meme.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Guess who else better check their privilege?

Hint: A category of men of course. Some of them white.

OK so that's not much of a hint.
Professor Slams 'Hegemonic Masculinity' of Homeless Men
PJ Media

The goal of her research, she explains, was to “assess the ways hypermasculinity is performed among men experiencing homelessness.” And to do this, Dej interviewed 27 homeless men and spent and additional 296 hours spying on them in homeless shelters.

While research on vulnerable people typically requires informed consent and approval by an ethics board, it is unclear if Dej sought this. She declined to comment on this when emailed by PJ Media, and her research makes no mention of ethics review.

However, she finds that it is difficult for homeless men to achieve this. Without the trappings of a successful life — such as a home or a career— many men instead develop what Dej refers to as “compensatory masculinity” to cope with their failed status.

This type of masculinity is worse than hegemonic masculinity, though not yet as bad as toxic masculinity, and it involves men “emphasizing whatever hypermasculine traits they can within their stratified social status” to the detriment, allegedly, of women.

Giz

Post by Giz » Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:56 pm

Not only that, but men become homeless at a greater rate than women. How can we achieve an equitable 50/50 split of this patriarchal subgroup if men are hogging the intake?

Abdul Alhazred

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue Aug 07, 2018 5:31 pm

Don't you get the underlying psychology of these patriarchs?

Even though they are total failures in the eyes of the world, they still somehow manage to "feel like" men.

What an outrage. :cowbell: